MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Citizen Koch

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Citizen Koch

Postby rabble » Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 pm

"Citizen Koch," a documentary about money in politics focused on the Wisconsin uprising, was shunned by PBS for fear of offending billionaire industrialist David Koch, who has given $23 million to public television, according to Jane Mayer of the New Yorker. The dispute highlights the increasing role of private money in "public" television and raises even further concerns about the Kochs potentially purchasing eight major daily newspapers."

Money thrown at gutless limousine liberals: peanuts.
Strangling journalism that portrays you in negative light: priceless.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Citizen Koch

Postby DCB » Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I saw it at the WI Film Festival. Its very good.

Too bad you won't see it on PBS.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 pm

So Rabble,

Are you OK with the world's 5th richest man, Warren Buffett owning about 60 newspapers?

All seamlessly plumping for more tax benefits for Buffett's insurance businesses such as Geico.

Not a problem, right?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:So Rabble,

Are you OK with the world's 5th richest man, Warren Buffett owning about 60 newspapers?

All seamlessly plumping for more tax benefits for Buffett's insurance businesses such as Geico.

Not a problem, right?

John Henry

You mean somebody made a documentary about Warren Buffet and Public Television didn't air it because they were scared of him?

That's terrible. I do have a problem with that. Can you tell me where to find the details? I appreciate this VERY much. I thought Koch was the first guy to do that since Citizen Kane. I didn't know Buffet did this.

Thanks.
Rabble Henry.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 28, 2013 3:51 pm

rabble wrote:
"Citizen Koch," a documentary about money in politics focused on the Wisconsin uprising, was shunned by PBS for fear of offending billionaire industrialist David Koch, who has given $23 million to public television, according to Jane Mayer of the New Yorker. The dispute highlights the increasing role of private money in "public" television and raises even further concerns about the Kochs potentially purchasing eight major daily newspapers."

Money thrown at gutless limousine liberals: peanuts.
Strangling journalism that portrays you in negative light: priceless.

Having read this story and another story on this film (it was on flipboard a week back, so I can't link) I don't see any evidence that Koch himself did anything wrong. He decided to stop donating to WNET in NYC well after the first film that focused on him came out. As a private citizen that's completely within his rights. It's not that shocking of a decision either seeing as two seperate PBS subsidized films targeted him directly. It also doesn't appear that he ever said stop making movies targeting me or I'll stop donating.

On the other hand, WNET seems to have gone a bit bannanas trying to kiss his ass prior to the first movie airing, and it's pretty evident that it leaned on Independent Television Service (ITVS) pretty hard to kill Citizen Koch as well. It's a bit disturbing to me that one PBS station can have that much influence on the production of new content, even if it is the single biggest PBS market.

The question that has been bugging me since I first read about this last week (and mind you I have not had a chance to view either movie), is that both of these films ("Citizen Koch" and "Park Avenue") sound a bit like they could be political hit pieces aimed at Koch, which to me brings up as much of a question of PBS's editorial integrity, as "Citizen Koch" being cancled.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The question that has been bugging me since I first read about this last week (and mind you I have not had a chance to view either movie), is that both of these films ("Citizen Koch" and "Park Avenue") sound a bit like they could be political hit pieces aimed at Koch, which to me brings up as much of a question of PBS's editorial integrity, as "Citizen Koch" being cancled.

If that's all you look at, yes. Did you see "As Goes Janesville" which was an earlier Independent Lens segment? It was a pretty blatant piece of pro-Walker video.

There might be an argument for which side the seesaw seems to sway, but there's definitely both sides being shown out there. The difference I see is none of the right-tilted shows have been kicked out.

I agree WNET is a bunch of gutless asskissers. Which would give the actions of throwing millions at them and then getting annoyed at a show a whole lot of meaning. Which they apparently picked up on.

Didn't do 'em any good, but they've proven they're nice lapdogs now. Won't be no more sayin bad tings bout the Kochs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 28, 2013 8:24 pm

I didn't see "As goes Janesville" but I'm generally of the opinion PBS should stay away from picking a political side either way.

WNET might change their tune; Koch decided to stop donating to them even after "Citizen" got canned. The whole thing is stupid though, PBS and NPR should not need to be reliant on big money donations from either side. If they are, just bite the bullet and sell advertising. Considering the small amount of money it would really take though, there is no reason not to fully fund it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I didn't see "As goes Janesville" but I'm generally of the opinion PBS should stay away from picking a political side either way.

After watching most of As Goes Janesville I got the impression that Independent Lens was created to show or hype or whatever you want to call it, as many political sides as possible. One might argue that this is exactly the sort of thing public television should be doing.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The question that has been bugging me since I first read about this last week (and mind you I have not had a chance to view either movie), is that both of these films ("Citizen Koch" and "Park Avenue") sound a bit like they could be political hit pieces aimed at Koch, which to me brings up as much of a question of PBS's editorial integrity, as "Citizen Koch" being cancled.

"Citizen Koch" is really about the post-Citizens United era.

The title is somewhat misleading. The Koch bros. are the most recognizable faces of this situation, but its not so much about them. The focus is on the WI recall, but the context is very much the influence of money on politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri May 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Democracy Now! interview with the filmmakers, discussing 'self-censorship'.
http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/30/d ... censorship
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Well, the producers are going to try and get the movie out on their own.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/130 ... h?ref=live
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 am

This probably didn't make it into the documentary, as it has just been revealed, but I put it here since I didn't want to start a new thread:

The latest: Politico reports the Kochs have been operating a secret “bank” that doled out a quarter of a billion dollars to various conservative causes and political groups last year.

“Freedom Partners is organized under the same section of the Tax Code as a trade association, a 501(c)6, which allows the group to conceal its donors from public release, although the amounts and recipients of its major grants are public.”

The beneficiaries of the Kochs’ latest venture have become familiar names in Wisconsin’s political landscape. If you watched television last year, you were likely bombarded with Koch-sponsored messaging.

For instance, Americans for Prosperity received $32.3 million from Freedom Partners. A decent chunk of that was funneled into efforts promoting Gov. Scott Walker’s reelection. In the Madison media market alone, AFP spent nearly $1 million running ads in support of Walker’s agenda last year. It likely spent much more in Milwaukee and in other media markets.

The 60-Plus Association, a conservative group that seeks to privatize social security, received more than $15 million from the Koch group. Similarly, they spent over $200,000 in just the Madison market last year.

Concerned Women for America, which spent $289,000 on Madison TV ads, received $8.2 million from Freedom Partners.

"Money doesn't talk, it swears."
Dylan
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:10 am

Headline story from today's Washington Post: Koch-backed political network expands its reach

Last year they raised over 400 million dollars in secret donations for their conservative front groups.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Does anyone know when and where the documentary will show?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government