MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Jason Joyce leaving Isthmus!?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Jason Joyce leaving Isthmus!?

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 pm

jammybastard wrote:did he jump or was he pushed?

you made me think of an old Richard & Linda Thompson song
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 pm

If they try to turn the forum into a giant, messy Facebook page that's the last you'll see of me. If there's one way to dumb something down, it's Facebook. Facebook is geared for people who are operating at best on a high school level. Like it or not this is a university town and people -- Isthmus readers, I should say -- really do like a little more analysis and back-and-forth.

Social media has its place -- I love flickr, and during the demonstrations Twitter was the place to go for great links, photos, and breaking news though it took some caution and research to evaluate what people were putting up. I used a lot of what I found on Twitter in Forum discussions. But to throw out the possibility of dialogue in chunks larger than a tweet is a big mistake.

The forum is kind of a group blog for people who don't have the time, patience, or connections to actually blog individually. I think it says something about Isthmus readers, gathers a decent number of clicks, and usually represents the paper in a positive way. I hope they keep it and build on it. Change is good, but the endless link-everything-to-everybody aspect of social media is so indiscriminate and flattening it's a bore.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 am

snoqueen wrote:If there's one way to dumb something down, it's Facebook. Facebook is geared for people who are operating at best on a high school level.

Translation: I went on facebook, didn't put any work into it, and didn't like what I saw. Therefore, facebook is dumb.

Sounds kind of high-schoolish, doesn't it?

We each get the facebook we deserve. Mine, of course, is awesome.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 am

Oh, I know.

Maybe if people posted links to public Facebook pages they think are actually worthwhile or are good promotional tools, I'd change my mind. Until now, I have to say I've never visited a Facebook page I bookmarked, or wanted to return to.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 am

I'm a myspace guy myself, that's where the real action is.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 am

OK, I liked the dihydrogen monoxide thing (we needed that the other day when someone tried to tell Sandi not to smoke near the ocean because it might cause all the hydrogen to explode) and I liked the camel-shadows photo and the one with the guy who got struck by lightning and it left him with sort of a fractal tattoo. All good, and I am glad I took the time to dig through and find the stuff I liked.

But the pages also prove my point; Facebook is not about dialogue, which is pretty much limited to one-liners and "awesome." It's more about sharing pictures and links. There's nothing wrong with that except for all the good stuff it leaves out -- stuff that people create by thinking, reading, and writing down what they have to say, especially regarding current events. Is this totally dead in today's context?

Maybe it is, and I just haven't caught on. We've had a couple topics where postings devolved into a series of gifs showing people vomiting on themselves, and I guess in some people's view that passes for dialogue.

I'm hoping there's a place for both formats.

For entertainment I like going to Pinterest and searching on architecture and environment topics. It's organized totally crazy, but you can find good stuff if you're patient and lucky.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 am

Ducatista wrote:We each get the facebook we deserve. Mine, of course, is awesome.

Wow! You sound even more awesomely awesome than I had dared to imagine! Totally, awesomely, fucking awesome! Even if in jest! And now I must sign off ere I swoon.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am

snoqueen wrote:But the pages also prove my point; Facebook is not about dialogue, which is pretty much limited to one-liners and "awesome." It's more about sharing pictures and links.

As Ducatista already stated, it's what you make it. Dialogue can and does happen if you want it to (and you have friends who do as well). Not saying that most of it isn't one-liners and pictures, but you can have real substantial conversations as well. Facebook is the medium for the content, not the content itself.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Facebook is the medium for the content, not the content itself.
Well, that is a blithely sanguine assessment.

I think there has to be a better way to communicate with folks than through a corporation whose raison d'être is to siphon personal information and sell it to the highest bidder.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am

fennel wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Facebook is the medium for the content, not the content itself.
Well, that is a blithely sanguine assessment.

I think there has to be a better way to communicate with folks than through a corporation whose raison d'être is to siphon personal information and sell it to the highest bidder.

To put it more simply, if you are not paying for it, you are the product. If you use most form of social media on the internet this is going to be true. Not just facebook.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am

snoqueen wrote:It's more about sharing pictures and links. There's nothing wrong with that except for all the good stuff it leaves out -- stuff that people create by thinking, reading, and writing down what they have to say, especially regarding current events. Is this totally dead in today's context?

I actually find more of this because of Facebook and Tumblr than I ever did before. I agree that the actual dialogue on Facebook is weak, but I see links to articles, stories, artwork, music, and a whole lot more. I have my "trusted friends" that I know post some really interesting stuff. Sure, there is garbage out there, but that science page is a good example of the positives in Facebook. Not only do they give a factoid, but they link to the scientific articles. I don't have the time to seek that crap out myself.

snoqueen wrote:For entertainment I like going to Pinterest and searching on architecture and environment topics.

I would also suggest Tumblr for stuff like that. There are some great architecture blogs out there.

That said, I don't think this place could turn into something like Facebook. It's a forum and that's a different thing, just like Twitter and Reddit are different things.

Kind of surprised JJ hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. Wonder if he'll keep posting after he's gone.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Kind of surprised JJ hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. Wonder if he'll keep posting after he's gone.

His interest in this forum has been minimal at best for 5 years while he was actually paid to run it. I'm sure we'll getting a parting post in the 11th hour but I wouldn't expect to have Jjoyce to kick around after that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

All best to Jason on his last day at Isthmus. I know from working closely with him for years that he's an excellent journalist and a smart technologist. He's also very funny. It's good to work with funny people.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com