MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Eastern Carolina BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Eastern Carolina BBQ

Postby Ttusker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I love the vinegar-based BBQ they make in eastern North Carolina and finally tried making it myself last Sunday. I found some recipes online that I felt would work well, bought a pork butt, and just went for it. Resounding success! Sunday night, I thought I'd done something wrong, because though it tasted good, I thought it lacked something. Monday night I simply added a little more of the vinegar-based sauce, and that nailed it.

I like most kinds of BBQ; the tartness of the Eastern Carolina way of making it is for me a refreshing change of pace from the sweet, tomato-based Kansas City style we see so much of around here.

Any thoughts?
Ttusker

Re: Eastern Carolina BBQ

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Ttusker wrote:Any thoughts?

Yes.
A) Kindly describe your method, as I am unfamiliar with this variation on BBQ.
B) If I am following you correctly, you prepared this sublime and tangy preparation one day and found something missing with the leftovers the next day.
1. Unless your left left-overs are swimming in sauce, absorption/evaporation of the refrigerated roast left the remains a little dry.
2. If (or if not) the above is true, you probable experienced some loss of 'tang' through neutralization of the acetic acid (vinegar).
3) Prepare adequate sauce for the act of BBQing and then enjoying the day of - and after.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Sorry for the delay.
My method: Washed and trimmed fat off 8 lb. bone-in pork butt. Rubbed it with 2 tbsp. Worcester sauce, then 3 tbsp. yellow mustard, then with dry rub. Wrapped it in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. In the morning, took off wrap and placed in 225 degree oven for about 11 hours, basting with sauce every hour, til thermometer read 190. (The sauce I'd made three days earlier, using a cup of apple cider vinegar, a cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tsp. cayenne pepper, 2 tsp. Tabasco, 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. salt. Shook it a number of times while it was in fridge for three days.)

After 11 hours, the meat was starting to fall apart. The bone came out with a little tug, and I used two forks to "pull" the meat into shreds. Then I gave it what I thought was a good dousing with the sauce, and sat down and ate some. As I said earlier, it was good, but seemed somehow not quite like what I remembered from my numerous visits to Wilmington NC. I didn't know what to think; I suspected that maybe the fact that I didn't smoke the meat but cooked it in my oven had something to do with it. Anyway, the next night, I sat down with another helping, and put a few tablespoons more of the sauce on the meat, and tasted it. Eureka!, it was exactly as I remembered.
I'm thinking now that as with certain other things, maybe my BBQ just needs a day or so for flavors to meld. At any rate, I'm happy now.
Ttusker

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Oh boy, I am going to try that recipe! I would like to do it on the grill with a bit of smoke, but 11 hrs would be a long day. Try putting some high quality smoked paprika into the dry rub and sauce (to stand in for the smoke of the grill) and working some of the remaining sauce into the meat as you pull it, just enough to be barely visible. This might elevate your creation closer to your expectation.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks, MH. I'm a big fan of good paprika, and I will certainly give your idea a try. BBQ done this way is not for everybody, but the people I know who've had it just love it. After my first taste of Eastern Carolina-style, every time I went out there the first thing I'd do upon reaching Wilmington would be to get a plateful.

I hope you can find the time to give it a try!
Ttusker

Postby wack wack » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Ttusker wrote:BBQ done this way is not for everybody, but the people I know who've had it just love it.

Tell ya what, I'm not a big fan of pork or vinegar, but y'all make this sound so good I just might have to try it!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Nitpick: this is eastern NC sauce on a western NC piece of meat.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Nitpick: this is eastern NC sauce on a western NC piece of meat.

Yep. I know they go "whole hog" in the East, but, not having the wherewithal to do that, I chose the next best thing I could think of, a pork butt. BTW, I didn't mention one important thing when I described my method above: after the meat reached 190 degrees, I took it out of the oven, wrapped it in the foil that I 'd lined the pan with (plus a little more), and let it sit for an hour before picking it apart. Doing so helps the meat settle, and several sources I read said that it really is important to do this.
Ttusker

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Ttusker wrote: BTW, I didn't mention one important thing when I described my method above: after the meat reached 190 degrees, I took it out of the oven, wrapped it in the foil that I 'd lined the pan with (plus a little more), and let it sit for an hour before picking it apart. Doing so helps the meat settle, and several sources I read said that it really is important to do this.

I meant to ask what temp you pulled it from the oven.
When I try this I will take it out at 160-170F, and proceed as you did.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues