MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

DWI Checkpoint on Sherman Ave. Tonight

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

DWI Checkpoint on Sherman Ave. Tonight

Postby david cohen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 pm

When I first saw all the lights at 10pm on a Friday night, I figured it was the Maple Bluff PD doing their "driving while brown" thing...but then, right by Vic Pierces, there was a mobile DWI Checkpoint Ahead sign. Everyone who turned off Sherman was pulled by MBPD and MPD. A few got pulled on Sherman as well. I hadn't had anything to drink at La Fete, and I don't typically drive after more than a beer anyways, but be careful out there! I don't know why I thought DWI checkpoints were illegal in Wisconsin- maybe this was a ruse for the folks who avoided it to get scrutinized?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DWI Checkpoint on Sherman Ave. Tonight

Postby barney » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 pm

david cohen wrote:I don't know why I thought DWI checkpoints were illegal in Wisconsin- maybe this was a ruse for the folks who avoided it to get scrutinized?

We saw the "checkpoint" when we drove home last night too. I also thought these were illegal in Wisconsin. WTF?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:06 pm

This site claims they are illegal in Wisconsin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rokker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

they probably take their cues from this, very recent:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/30/fake-drug-checkpoints-_n_3525697.html

"MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio -- Police in the Cleveland suburb of Mayfield Heights know they're not allowed to use checkpoints to search drivers and their cars for drugs.

So they're trying the next best thing: fake drug checkpoints.

Police in the city of 19,000 recently posted large yellow signs along Interstate 271 that warned drivers that there was a drug checkpoint ahead, to be prepared to stop and that there was a drug-sniffing police dog in use.

There was no such checkpoint, just police officers waiting to see if any drivers would react suspiciously after seeing the signs."
rokker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rokker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm

rokker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:31 pm

This shouldn't be an issue in the future. You, know, when Sherman Avenue is turned into the Peoples' Northside Shining Star Bikepath and Honorary Revolutionary Memorial Road of Tears.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

In the meantime people continue to get physically assaulted and mugged all over this great city. And not just in the usual locations.

Women attacked, robbed of cellphones in separate incidents in Madison

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... z2Z96hvDWE
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Which has exactly what to do with checkpoints? I mean, one of these attacks was 3 am. Nobody's running a checkpoint at 3 am.

That said, I thought alcohol checkpoints were illegal too, though there are other reasons a checkpoint could be set up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Crockett wrote:In the meantime people continue to get physically assaulted and mugged all over this great city. And not just in the usual locations.

And this has to do with cell phone robbery which is becoming a huge problem in the entire US. Madison is not alone with this issue.

http://www.google.com/#output=search&sc ... 66&bih=643
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Obviously, this is not video from a checkpoint in Madison, but it can still serve to demonstrate what DUI checkpoints are really all about. The punchline at the end says it all; they never asked the kid if he was drinking and driving, which is supposedly the reason (public safety?) for the checkpoint. There isn't any money in public safety.

The use of dogs as accusers we cannot question in court has always been ridiculous, in my opinion. This video also demonstrates that. What was the dog alerting the officer to, if it wasn't just a ploy to allow the cops to search the car after the kid didn't give consent? Air fresheners?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:24 pm

acereraser wrote:The use of dogs as accusers we cannot question in court has always been ridiculous, in my opinion. This video also demonstrates that. What was the dog alerting the officer to, if it wasn't just a ploy to allow the cops to search the car after the kid didn't give consent? Air fresheners?

I've never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense. Shouldn't a dog-handling officer's testimony in court be dismissed as hearsay and conjecture? That officer is interpreting the dog's behavior and passing it on. He can't smell drugs himself.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:37 pm

The dog also picks up on signals from his handler and in some cases when the alert is on video and experts testify, it has been thrown out because it was patently obvious that the dog was run past the same spot three times before he alerted to it.

So, has anyone contacted any Madison officials to ask about this? I can't find anything about it on the website. You'd think the city would have an official position on this, or at least acknowledgement that it happened.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ___ » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Hopefully someone sues them after getting pulled over. Somehow I doubt probable cause is supposed to work like this:
1) Advertise illegal activity ahead
2) Detain people for avoiding illegal activity

In an ideal world police would go to jail over violations like this.
___

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
acereraser wrote:The use of dogs as accusers we cannot question in court has always been ridiculous, in my opinion. This video also demonstrates that. What was the dog alerting the officer to, if it wasn't just a ploy to allow the cops to search the car after the kid didn't give consent? Air fresheners?

I've never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense. Shouldn't a dog-handling officer's testimony in court be dismissed as hearsay and conjecture? That officer is interpreting the dog's behavior and passing it on. He can't smell drugs himself.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... hp?t=60728
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... hp?t=60728

Ugh, I got half-way through the first page and they're still arguing. But I think the most relevant thing is that in a traffic stop, the PO has probably cause, brings the dog in, find drugs. In court, the dog doesn't enter into it because the dog was used in the search, not in the accusation (the dog isn't saying "he had drugs" in court, the PO is).

Another part of that thread goes down a funny path, saying that a drug dog can't be the source of hearsay because only a "person" can and a dog isn't a "person." And yet police dogs and horses are considered "officers" to the extent that battery to one is the same as battery to a police officer.

So my grand and elaborate (yet stupid) question of the day is: Why aren't police cars considered officers? Then they could bring up any perp who kicks out a backseat window or damages a police car in a chase on charges of battery to an officer.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe