MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:28 pm

DCB wrote:On a serious note:
Paul Krugman wrote:Something terrible has happened to the soul of the Republican Party. We’ve gone beyond bad economic doctrine. We’ve even gone beyond selfishness and special interests. At this point we’re talking about a state of mind that takes positive glee in inflicting further suffering on the already miserable.

I guess he got tired of pointing out how wrong they are on economic issues, and started thinking, "What is wrong with these people?".

One rarely sees "serious" and "Paul Krugman" in the same discussion.

Congrats
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Krugman locates the problem in the soul. I locate it in dementia, the kind that comes on in the elderly as they lose brain function due to one of several potential causes, and in the evil and demented people who manipulate the elderly for their own sick purposes. As dementia takes hold the person loses their soul.

I was struck by the elderly nature of the GOP during the 2012 Republican National Convention. The people gathered there seem strangely very elderly, and many are likely afflicted with the first stages of Alzheimer's or other dementias.

If you've experienced a loved one's mental decline in old age, you notice a loss of short-term memory and personality changes. What else can explain the Republican's constant change of position and inattention to detail? They no longer have the ability to remember things or they confabulate.

More worrisome, though are personality changes. A once loving and optimistic person becomes spiteful and fearful. In my mother's case, it resulted in her being increasingly fearful and anxious about people. In the political arena, this resolved into her being very manipulable by people who were pushing hateful anti-immigration ideas in order to pry money out of her.

The Republican Party used to be a forward looking party. Now they resemble a Memory Unit in an Assisted Living facility---everyone is wandering around in the haze of messed up synapses creating bitter and paranoid confabulation. Death would be a blessing.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

Wow Donald, your rant reminds me of things I used to hear Republicans say 40 years ago about commie pinkos and their drug altered brains.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 am

Stella_Guru wrote:Wow Donald, your rant reminds me of things I used to hear Republicans say 40 years ago about commie pinkos and their drug altered brains.

Stella, you put more rant in one sentence than Donald did in 5 paragraphs.

Well done, Donald, and right on.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:52 am

Donald wrote:I was struck by the elderly nature of the GOP during the 2012 Republican National Convention. The people gathered there seem strangely very elderly, and many are likely afflicted with the first stages of Alzheimer's or other dementias.

You just perfectly described the keynote. An old man yelling at an empty chair. It could have been more perfect if Clint was yelling at clouds.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am

Nothing says you have to be in your right mind to vote.

You have to be able to get to whatever scattered places are handing out voter ID cards at limited hours, and you have to have all the right papers and qualifications, but you don't have to have all your marbles.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 am

wack wack wrote:
Stella, you put more rant in one sentence than Donald did in 5 paragraphs.

This commie pinko with a drug altered brain says thanks, Wack.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 am

snoqueen wrote:Nothing says you have to be in your right mind to vote.

You have to be able to get to whatever scattered places are handing out voter ID cards at limited hours, and you have to have all the right papers and qualifications, but you don't have to have all your marbles.
And, you can be "under stress, going through divorce, or experiencing money problems."
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:21 pm

By bloating this thread to more than 300 posts, you leftists have made the GOP's problems out to be far more serious than they actually are.

Anyone unfortunate enough to read through thread, can see massive redundancy in those posts.

They all just boil down to Republicans being:
* Stupid
* Insane
* Racist
* Misogynistic
* Homophobic

That's only FIVE THINGS! And yet, more than 300 posts!

Seriously, is that all you've got?
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:24 pm

You forgot liars.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 pm

TN, are you saying we're wrong, or implying we're missing many more amusing nutter features of the GOP?

I would add to the list "on the precipice of a major internal schism due to the tastefully-highbrow insane disagreeing with the go-for-broke-all-the-time-insane."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Let's add stuck in the past!

http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/17/american-b ... &eref=sihp

Aparently Senator Lindsey Graham wants to bring back the good old days of the cold war and the Olympics.

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina says that an Olympic boycott is one possible measure that the U.S. should explore if Russia decides to grant temporary asylum to Edward Snowden. Snowden is hiding in Russia after leaking classified documents detailing U.S. surveillance programs.

Delusional too I guess, the US government doesn't control the US Olympic team.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:TN, are you saying we're wrong, or implying we're missing many more amusing nutter features of the GOP?

I would add to the list "on the precipice of a major internal schism due to the tastefully-highbrow insane disagreeing with the go-for-broke-all-the-time-insane."

Well, let's just say that I do wish you leftists would acknowledge the good that my fellow conservative Republicans do.

Christian outreach, for example. Here's a Republican Senate candidate in Iowa offering to convert one of the heathen Jews among the Senate Democrats:

Iowa Republican Has Good News for Chuck Schumer
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 am

Rand Paul aide known as 'Southern Avenger' steps down

An aide to Sen. Rand Paul who had taken heat recently for his past as a pro-Southern secessionist has resigned his position as the senator's new media director.

I assume Paul knew about the Southern Avenger's past.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm

More proof that the Republican faithful are completely out of touch with reality:

A December Washington Post-ABC News poll showed that a majority of Americans (53 percent) said the GOP’s problem is that it is too conservative and needs to offer a program focused on the welfare of the people, while just 38 percent said the policies are good, but it needs a better leader. But among Republicans, 64 percent of Republicans polled said they saw leadership and communication as the main issue.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government