MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Sorry Snowqueen I was not even alive in 1955. I am sure all parents allowed that back then along with rooftop lawn darts.

To the rest of you-
You could just reply to me that I am "wrong and here is why..." or just "you're wrong".

Instead your replies are shut up and don't make your opinion in a public forum.

Very telling about all of you.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:I am putting out there some uncomfortable analysis that might prove in time to be true and that is making some people here very uncomfortable and mad.


Some analysis that might prove in time to be true. There you have it.

We're not uncomfortable. We're not mad. We're just totally confused as to the point you're trying -- unsuccessfully -- to make.

You do have a point, right?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Levitan-given that the mayor does not share his motives with me (I know that is hard for you to comprehend given that you have had the confidence of every mayor going back to, well, Paul Soglin) we will have to see what his future actions are concerning this past week proposal announcement.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 pm

OK, so you don't have a point.

Got it.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Also, Levitan given that you are hard of hearing when it comes to other people's opinions, I will simplify and condense my point just for you.

Here it is again---

I predict that Soglin's announcement this past week about Rhythm and Booms will prove to be just a big ol' political head duck.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:54 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:It is not about fireworks. It is about the most heavily attended multicultural family event held in central Wisconsin and how Paul Soglin and a few well placed activists killed it.

But you know that.


How/why would we know about a fantasy that you made up?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Name the well placed political activists and give their motivation.

If you can't, it's becoming more and more clear you are making this entire thing up.

To those in the reality-based community, it looks like Mayor Soglin suggested moving the show to a central location for 2014 in response to complaints about crowd behavior, traffic, and environmental damage in the Warner Park location. Why that is nefarious is beyond me. I think it's pragmatic.

The new show will be closer for some people and further away for others. That's pretty much what happens when you move anything in three dimensional space, though I guess we are leaving out points located equidistant from both the new and the old locations....
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19917
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Well, I for one hope that Swimming doesn't give us a follow-up to this bizarre nonsense she tried to pass off as cogent political analysis. Although I still would like to know what a "self-appointed activist" is. I mean, if you're an activist, who would appoint you other than yourself?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6160
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Why would anybody pay to go sit on John Nolen Drive, pay again for food and drinks, and then sit in traffic for an hour trying to leave when they can see the show from the whole rest of the lakeshore (or from a boat) for free?

On fireworks day, several hundred thousand people will prove once again there doesn't have to be a reason, of course.

Anyway, my congratulations go out to the people around Warner Park, who have finally managed to shift their fireworks miseries to another part of town.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Ninja » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 pm

pjbogart wrote:Well, I for one hope that Swimming doesn't give us a follow-up to this bizarre nonsense she tried to pass off as cogent political analysis. Although I still would like to know what a "self-appointed activist" is. I mean, if you're an activist, who would appoint you other than yourself?


There are some Northside residents (I wouldn't venture a guess on percentages but I seem to encounter a lot of them) who think that this part of town is treated in a provisional way, which I tend to agree with in a broad sense, as I mentioned early on in the Sherman bike lane thread.

I think that was the point of Swim's complaint, but I think it was a bad hill to die on because there was a lot of advance notice and mailers and press coverage about moving the fireworks. A lot of people opposed the move for good reasons but a lot of people supported the move for good reasons too, so a tough, but very public decision had to be made. Fair enough, but that's not always the case.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Ninja » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 pm

snoqueen wrote:On fireworks day, several hundred thousand people will prove once again there doesn't have to be a reason, of course.


I didn't think of this sooner because I'll be at Summerfest this weekend so I don't care, but I forgot how many people show up for R&B. How in the hell is that going to work when even weekday afternoon "rush hour" is an absolute gridlocked disaster downtown because of all the construction? Wow. That's going to be a insane.

It can take me a half hour just to get out of my work parking lot if I leave right at 5, and that's a tiny fraction of the number of people who will be parking on and around the square this weekend and all leaving at the same time. I have a feeling there are going to be a bunch of pissy comments and editorials on Monday morning.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Igor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Ninja wrote:
snoqueen wrote:On fireworks day, several hundred thousand people will prove once again there doesn't have to be a reason, of course.


I didn't think of this sooner because I'll be at Summerfest this weekend so I don't care, but I forgot how many people show up for R&B. How in the hell is that going to work when even weekday afternoon "rush hour" is an absolute gridlocked disaster downtown because of all the construction? Wow. That's going to be a insane.


It seems to me that it could be either much better or much much worse traffic-wise than Warner. The people will (I assume) be spread out over a larger area, with some downtown, some on John Nolen, some in Monona, etc. which may help some. I'm mostly bummed because I had a sweet egress route from Warner that allowed me to watch the fireworks in the park, and still be home on the far Southwest side 40 minutes later.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:48 pm

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 am

swimmingupstream wrote:My theory is that Soglin has no intentions of seeing through the plan announced this past week. Instead he is trying to politically inoculate himself from the charge that he ended the city wide fireworks celebration that was so popular with people from all social and economic classes, but especially popular with working class people and minorities. He will get push back from the self selected activists and he will back away saying "I tried to save Rhythm and Booms, but..." That is why I titled this post "Soglin's cynical play".

Time will tell if I am right.


Time has told us. You're wrong.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Rhythm and Booms: Soglin's cynical play

Postby Athena » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:54 am

snoqueen wrote:Why would anybody pay to go sit on John Nolen Drive, pay again for food and drinks, and then sit in traffic for an hour trying to leave when they can see the show from the whole rest of the lakeshore (or from a boat) for free?


This is my question. I don't see why I'd pay to sit on John Nolen when there are plenty of other places around the lake. I wonder if Paisans is taking fireworks reservations.
Athena
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar