MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Pens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Pens

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:43 pm

What's a good pen that if you lose it you don't go nuts?

I'm so sick of trying, and being disappointed, by pen after pen.

I feel it didn't used to be this way.

I'll establish $20 as a price point I don't want to go over as I use them in the field and constantly lose them or leave them with clients.

I'm trusting online site reviews by "real" buyers less and less.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pens

Postby penquin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm

I work too many trade shows to actually be buying any pens. Been carrying the same pen on my work belt for the past five years (Well, technically on the carrying case for my McGyver-tool, which is on my belt) and it hasn't let me down yet. It is yellow and black...used to say "Ward Brodt" on it, but that has been wiped clean.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:04 am

I like either the Uniball Signo or Pilot G-2. (I like the Uniball better.)

They're gel ink though, so ymmv.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 am

I really like Zebra F-301 pens. You can buy them anywhere for fairly cheap (I think they're about $5.00 each). They are refillable, write very smoothly, and have a fine tip. They also seem very well made, and have a nice slim profile. I've used them for years and never buy any other kind of pen.
Ttusker

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 am

Why would anyone BUY a pen? Pens are held in common. Businesses give them away (my current one, which is good, is from my car mechanic) and people leave them lying all over (deliberately or not) for the next person to pick up. I have more pens than I could use up in the whole rest of my life, and I'm continually donating little handfuls wherever they seem to be needed.

The other common items I can think of that are held in common are paper clips and rubber bands. You cannot steal a paper clip because it is not owned by anyone. It's just there.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

I used to sell pens and I'm an artist. When I got divorced, I took all the Parker pens in the house and left hubby the Cross pens. I mourned losing my brushed silver look with the gold arrow. But I keep my silver tattersal with the gold arrow at home. For cheap I like Pilot.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:Why would anyone BUY a pen? Pens are held in common. Businesses give them away (my current one, which is good, is from my car mechanic) and people leave them lying all over (deliberately or not) for the next person to pick up.

Oh sure, I have a million of those pens too.

But I'm not going to use some crappy car mechanic, or any other business's branded pen, to use for my business.

I also need a pen that can sign triplicate carbon contracts and still write smoothly while being pressed that hard.

My clients are also the well-heeled types. I can't bust out some 25 cent Bic that came from a 10-pack.

Ttusker wrote: I really like Zebra F-301 pens.

Thanks for the reco. I just ordered some. I'll report on my experience after I've put one through it's paces.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Bought these too.

Anyone a fan?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:04 am

I don't care what a pen looks like, but I care a LOT about how it writes. Most pens are shite.

My all-time favorite, the Cello Superglide, is available on Amazon but no longer in stores. Sadness.

Uniball Jetstream pens are smooth and fast-drying, not as fantastic as the Cello but not bad. I use the inexpensive Sport version, but they have several more elegant models.

When I left my last job I raided the sample archives and grabbed a bunch of notepads we'd designed for a client back the 90s. A good pen on that super-smooth Finch Fine paper...mmmmmmm.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Sharpie has a line of pens. I have tried two kinds and and like them very much.

fine point retractable:

pen grip fine:

An addict’s review...

I also like TŪL

I'm sorry, but I just must: My Pen!

I guess there are two kinds of people in this world: people who love pens, and those who don't give a shit (aka OK with using a shitty pen).
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:37 pm

I have a thing about pens, socks and underwear: They have to be smooth!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Ducatista wrote:I don't care what a pen looks like, but I care a LOT about how it writes. Most pens are shite.

Seconded. I've been pretty happy with the Paper Mate Inkjoy pens. I think they burn through ink a little fast, but on the other hand, they're not too expensive and fairly ubiquitous.

For pricier refillable roller-ball pens, the Hauser ceramic refills are a dream, if your pen takes them.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 am

I like fat over slim these days. I started getting tingly and cramped fingers and hands in my 50s, so I switched to a larger grip. The symptoms vanished. I don't care much about how it looks, as long as it glides easily.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I used Google to search for "Cello Superglide" as mentioned by Ducatista above.

Now when I visit Amazon I am shown all sorts of pens for sale.

But I'm supposed to be worried about the government tracking me?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm

wack wack wrote:But I'm supposed to be worried about the government tracking me?

No kidding.

I googled Proenza Schouler the other day just to check the spelling, and now I'm greeted with hideous, sawtoothed PS ads whenever my ramblings land me on a downmarket website. "Hideous" and "downmarket" don't exactly fit the brand, but there they are...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All