MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The GOP, gay rights and immigration

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: The GOP, gay rights and immigration

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 am

Sandi wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Think about that for a second! It is an open admission that Republican are anti-legal immigration. If there is demand for more people to work, why don't we just open our doors to more new Americans?

That is so false it deserves no response.

Well, maybe you could explain your understanding of why Guest Worker programs exist at all.

In countries that are welcoming to immigrants, such as Canada, they don't have guest worker programs. Countries such as Japan, Germany and France are culturally hostile to immigration, they rely on large guest worker programs. (Germany's experience is a good lesson: they are stuck with a huge, segregated population of Turks who are non-citizens and resentful of the their German overlords.)

I can think of no reason for a guest worker program other than hostility to accepting people of other ethnicities as legal immigrants and full citizens. Can you offer any other explanation?

Republicans are wildly enthusiastic about Guest Worker programs, they want them an order of magnitude larger. Rep. Labrador said Guest Worker programs are essential to limiting illegal immigration. What other interpretation can there be, other than that he is hostile to expanding legal immigration?

America's is the great melting pot, the land of immigration. When did Republicans turn against American values?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 am

Huckleby wrote:America's is the great melting pot, the land of immigration. When did Republicans turn against American values?

When they figured out poor, huddled masses vote democrat.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Huckleby wrote:America's is the great melting pot, the land of immigration. When did Republicans turn against American values?

When they figured out poor, huddled masses vote democrat.

Ir helps if you know of what you speak. Almost everyone is greatly in favor of legal immigration. Of course the left always tries to paint being against illegal immigration as being against immigration period. And they have the press helping them with that message.

Most of the public, including democrats do not want illegal immigration. And a Gallup poll says that more Americans are more pro-immigration now, than ever before.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Sandi wrote: Almost everyone is greatly in favor of legal immigration. Of course the left always tries to paint being against illegal immigration as being against immigration period.

Sorry, but you aren't keeping up with the discussion.

Everyone is in favor of legal immigration in principle, yes. And everybody wants to admit lots of young, talented, highly educated people. The rubber meets the road when you get down to actual numbers of legal immigration. Republicans want to replace legal immigration with guest worker programs. They are effectively anti-legal immigration.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Huckleby wrote:Republicans want to replace legal immigration with guest worker programs. They are effectively anti-legal immigration.

Ah, so it doesn't matter what Republicans are for, only what you say/think they are for.

Lets keep the conversation to facts, not assumptions.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Sandi wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Republicans want to replace legal immigration with guest worker programs. They are effectively anti-legal immigration.

Ah, so it doesn't matter what Republicans are for, only what you say/think they are for.

Lets keep the conversation to facts, not assumptions.

You are uninformed about the basics of immigration. The party-based battle lines on the issue of Guest Workers were stark and clear in 2006 as well as in 2013.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Reince Priebus, the National Republic Committee chairman, says he doesn't tolerate gays, but he still wants to reach out to them (for their vote). Good luck with that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Reince Priebus, the National Republic Committee chairman, says he doesn't tolerate gays, but he still wants to reach out to them (for their vote). Good luck with that.

"If Paul Ryan does run, it won't be as the conservative darling but instead the establishment figurehead,” Iowa tea party activist Ryan Rhodes tells Real Clear Politics, talking about the man who has made it his mission to shred the social safety net. “To shake that label, he would need to make some significant changes to his policies.”

To what? Scheduled beating for those making bellow the poverty level?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 pm

There was a story in the NY Times this week about Putin's brutal treatment of gays in Russia. It's illegal to be gay, or even speak positively of gays in Putinland. IT was an opinion piece by Harvey Feinstein.

The weird thing is that a number of comments supported Putin. People said they dislike Putin, but he was keeping Russia morally strong. I wonder if the anti-gay people in this country really would criminalize homosexuality if they could. I hope not.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Huckleby wrote:I wonder if the anti-gay people in this country really would criminalize homosexuality if they could. I hope not.

It was in the past. Lawrence v. Texas put the kibosh on that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I wonder if the anti-gay people in this country really would criminalize homosexuality if they could. I hope not.

It was in the past. Lawrence v. Texas put the kibosh on that.

That speaks to ability not intent. I hate to say it but I think some (not all, probably just a small minority) of the religious right would love to see homosexuality criminalized if such a law were constitutional.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Representative Steve King (R) explains why he is against immigration reform (especially for Mexicans):

"For every one who's a valedictorian, there's another 100 out there that, they weigh 130 pounds and they've got calves the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert," King, of Iowa, told the conservative online publication Newsmax. "Those people would be legalized with the same act."

Even in the face of criticism from the leadership of his own party (who worry about getting votes over this issue), King is not backing down on his outrageous comments.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 pm

I think our country can use more people with calves the size of cantaloupes. We need more healthy young people, good breeding stock.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Boy I am getting tired of this- The GOP is going to legislate 'gay' out of existence along with any other sex that is not intended for procreation, birth control, nipples (I assume women's only) in NC, voting by people they don't think will vote for them, public education, clothing they don't approve of, and on and on and on. I am beginning to suspect they are funded by the Taliban or the Russians or some other such entity that shares their beliefs.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm

http://www.upworthy.com/a-pastor-asks-a ... ?g=2&c=la2

I don't think we have one politician who can address the issue of gay marriage any better than Australia's prime minister, Kevin Rudd. The pastor can tell he has been schooled and the look on his face proves it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government