MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Automatic license plate readers

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Automatic license plate readers

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 pm

They are used by law enforcement and private entities. They know where you car is going and where you have been.

ACLU: Police technology tracks every motorist

Yes, I know that when a person is out in public there can be no expectation of privacy. But still...

Who knows where future technology can go.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Automatic license plate readers

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Who knows where future technology can go.

Everybody knows. We're just not talking about it.

It will go to the point that attempting to keep yourself off the radar will cause you to be classified as such.

The community who chooses to remain Anonymous will slow things down a little by exploiting system flaws but ultimately that only results in better systems.

And what the hell. When we lived in villages everybody knew what you did all the time anyway. I think the powers that be will be able to keep all that data for themselves for a while but eventually we'll all be able to track everybody else. For a reasonable fee, of course.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 am

Police collecting millions of license plate images on Dane County roads

Four Dane County police agencies have collected and stored more than 4 million license plate images in the past three years using an increasingly popular technology that has drawn scrutiny from privacy advocates.

Fitchburg, Middleton, Sun Prairie and Verona have at least one police vehicle equipped with an automated license plate recognition system. The system photographs license plates on all passing vehicles, logs time and location data on them and checks the plates against a list of those flagged by local, state or federal authorities.

Police say the systems, which are growing in use among municipal departments and were highlighted this month in a report by the American Civil Liberties Union, enhance an officer’s ability to find stolen vehicles, kidnapped children, crime suspects or vehicles with expired registration.

Big Bro is watching you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:26 am

Rabble has a point though- in small towns everyone always knew everything everyone else did- at least if they did it somewhere nearby-who visited who, who drank, drugged, spent too much, didn't take care of their kids etc....Wow, is that the shape of the future (with the caveat that it is only the 'authorities' who know everything about you, not your neighbors)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:28 am

The thing that surprises me most about imaging every license plate on the road and then running those images against a central database of flagged plates is that it's new. We've had that technology for a long time and I was of the opinion that it was already in second or third generation by now.

I thought facial recognition software was the next big thing. Especially at airports. Image every face, run them against the no fly and terrorist list, and send every hit with x% recognition (and no connections to the ruling class) to Guantanamo.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

...in small towns everyone always knew everything everyone else did- at least if they did it somewhere nearby-who visited who, who drank, drugged, spent too much, didn't take care of their kids etc....Wow, is that the shape of the future (with the caveat that it is only the 'authorities' who know everything about you, not your neighbors)

Would people feel better about the collection of all this data if it were publicly available? We're already pretty much OK with webcams, for example, and I mean ones showing people not bird nests.

I don't know, I'm asking. We aren't gonna put this toothpaste back into the tube, so we might as well arrive at ways to live with the results that are more open and less totalitarian. If everybody can know just about everything about everybody else, the information becomes so plentiful and ubiquitous it's close to valueless. Maybe that's what we want.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:Would people feel better about the collection of all this data if it were publicly available? We're already pretty much OK with webcams, for example, and I mean ones showing people not bird nests.

I'm not sure about "okay" but we'd learn to live with it. If you get the chance to see the move "Until the End of the World," try to watch it. It's from 1991 and set in 1999 but I think it captures the spirit of what's to come. There are giant databases you can subscribe to, then pay for searches on people, businesses, whatever. Russia had one that a guy was using to track a credit card and the group around him was going "Hey. That's not bad. How much for the subscription? Any hidden fees?"

That's what I think it will be like. We'll all be tracked, there will be several databases where it's gathered, some of them will be better and more expensive, and anybody with the electronic cash on hand will be able to tap into them.

We won't be happy with that but we'll get used to it and people will grow up knowing ways to game that system just like we used to know which mushrooms in the woods were good to eat.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:42 pm

"Que sera sera", said Doris.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I don't know how much it matters to your average person. There has always been data. With respect to license plates, ever since they've been issued the basic data of who owns it and what vehicle its on has been recorded. Over time, the storage and retrieval of that data has evolved. So the cops know where everyone is going. As a practical matter, isn't that about as useful as not knowing where anyone is going? It's only useful if you are looking for something or someone in particular. So, if you are doing something illegal, you have something to worry about. If you're just regular John or Jane Q. Citizen, you're just part of the background noise.

Now, if insurance companies want to use this data to check on their insured....that's a different discussion. They already do it with driving records, but access to travel habits might be another way they can find to screw us.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:34 pm

gargantua wrote:Now, if insurance companies want to use this data to check on their insured....that's a different discussion. They already do it with driving records, but access to travel habits might be another way they can find to screw us.

Or help us.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.

Jake: SCMODS?

Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:"Que sera sera", said Doris.

"Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 am

peripat wrote:Rabble has a point though- in small towns everyone always knew everything everyone else did- at least if they did it somewhere nearby-who visited who, who drank, drugged, spent too much, didn't take care of their kids etc....Wow, is that the shape of the future (with the caveat that it is only the 'authorities' who know everything about you, not your neighbors)

All farm animals stray at times, even with the best of fences, and like all runaway slaves, must be followed and brought back to servitude being robbed of their milk, meat or eggs, harnessed for labor, or fending for scraps under the tabletops of the owners.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 am

This cracked me up...

Middleton Police Chief Brad Keil, who recently outfitted a second squad car with the technology, likened it to a police officer on a stakeout.

“It’s nothing that anybody out in public can’t get and an officer could get if they wrote down the license plate of everyone who drove by,” Keil said. “Out in public, there’s really no expectation of privacy.”

http://m.host.madison.com/wsj/news/loca ... 1e721.html

OK, Chief Keil, as soon as you introduce me to the officer who can actually write down every single license plate that drives by, I will accept that you should be allowed to do it electronically.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am

Stella_Guru wrote:All farm animals stray at times, even with the best of fences, and like all runaway slaves, must be followed and brought back to servitude being robbed of their milk, meat or eggs, harnessed for labor, or fending for scraps under the tabletops of the owners.

Thus it has always been. There are two ways to keep the livestock on the right side of the fence; grind them under your foot till they have no idea that things could be better and no hope of finding out, or keep them too fat and stupid to realize where they really are and what they've become.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines