MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Sandi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 pm

HawkHead wrote:I would put $100 down on a bet that GZ knew every address in the complex and who lived there. But he personally hadn't met all of his neighbors. In fact, I bet he hardly knew anyone in the complex by a first name basis.

That is just my opinion.


Yes, obviously it is only an opinion. However shouldn't you be discussing facts instead of digging a deeper hole?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 pm

HawkHead wrote:
Rich Schultz wrote:Hey Gordon here's another way not to lie. Don't quote the "Democratic Underground".


Boy, if someone shouldn't chide someone about the websites they link I would think it would be you.


What matters is does the story hold up or not.
HawkHead wrote: In fact, I bet he hardly knew anyone in the complex by a first name basis.

That is just my opinion.


Yes, obviously it is only an opinion. However shouldn't you be discussing facts instead of digging a deeper hole?[/quote]

18 witnesses testified for the defense, two were neighbors who spoke well of George Zimmerman, one was an elderly black lady.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 am

" Cathy Young: Zimmerman Backlash Continues Thanks To False Media Narrative.
This narrative has transformed Zimmerman, a man of racially mixed heritage that included white, Hispanic and black roots (a grandmother who helped raise him had an Afro-Peruvian father), into an honorary white male steeped in white privilege. It has cast him as a virulent racist even though he once had a black business partner, mentored African-American kids, lived in a neighborhood about 20 percent black, and participated in complaints about a white police lieutenant’s son getting away with beating a homeless black man.

This narrative has perpetuated the lie that Zimmerman’s history of calls to the police indicates obsessive racial paranoia. Thus, discussing the verdict on the PBS NewsHour, University of Connecticut professor and New Yorker contributor Jelani Cobb asserted that “Zimmerman had called the police 46 times in previous six years, only for African-Americans, only for African-American men.” Actually, prior to the call about Martin, only four of Zimmerman’s calls had to do with African-American men or teenage boys (and two of them were about individuals who Zimmerman thought matched the specific description of burglary suspects). Five involved complaints about whites, and one about two Hispanics and a white male; others were about such issues as a fire alarm going off, a reckless driver of unknown race, or an aggressive dog.

In this narrative, even Zimmerman’s concern for a black child—a 2011 call to report a young African-American boy walking unsupervised on a busy street, on which the police record notes, “compl[ainant] concerned for well-being”—has been twisted into crazed racism. Writing on the website of The New Republic, Stanford University law professor Richard Thompson Ford describes Zimmerman as “an edgy basket case” who called 911 about “the suspicious activities of a seven year old black boy.” This slander turns up in other left-of-center sources, such as ThinkProgress.org.

It has to be 1963 forever. Otherwise they’d have to ask some tough questions — of themselves. Read the whole thing."
Instapundit
http://reason.com/archives/2013/07/27/zimmerman-backlash-continues-thanks-to-m?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:49 am

You can't be racist unless you're purebred white.

It is impossible to profile anyone unless you grew up in an all white family.

Zimmerman is not a purebred white person and he didn't grow up in an all white family, therefore he can not possibly be racist or a profiler.

The fault is entirely Martin's, who was a thug, and we know this because there are pictures of him posing as if he were. And thugs wear hoodies.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6552
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby wack wack » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:29 am

Sandi wrote:
wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:So if you're in the woods with your rifle and the squirrel is hoping away "you're hunting it and stalking it" and if it's just standing there... you're not? Got it. It must be entertaining inside that noggin of yours...


Next time you approach a squirrel that just stands there, let us know.

The most entertaining thing in my head is imaging you stalking squirrel statues around your yard.


Apparently you have never hunted squirrels. Or if you have, you don't know that a squirrel hunter needs to use stealth. A squirrel just standing there is as common as one hoping away.


So whether or not the squirrel moves, it is being hunted, correct?

You really should try to understand the point before commenting.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:46 am

It's good to see a squirrel thread with a point.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 pm

So whether or not the squirrel moves, it is being hunted, correct?

You really should try to understand the point before commenting.


Nice one.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11855
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Sandi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

wack_wack wrote:So whether or not the squirrel moves, it is being hunted, correct?

You really should try to understand the point before commenting.


YOU should understand the point, epecially when it was your own point you missed.

And I quote:

wack_wack wrote:Next time you approach a squirrel that just stands there, let us know.

The most entertaining thing in my head is imaging you stalking squirrel statues around your yard.


Your point was about stalking squirrels, and a squirrel standing still instead of running away. But your not interested in anyone's point, only in smearing Zimmerman and anyone who may defend him.

I've never seen so many racists in one forum.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I've never seen so many squirrelists in one forum.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Detritus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Since Ned has inexplicably failed to contribute to this important thread, I will do the honors.

Image
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 am

Sandi wrote:
YOU should understand the point, epecially when it was your own point you missed.

And I quote:

wack_wack wrote:Next time you approach a squirrel that just stands there, let us know.

The most entertaining thing in my head is imaging you stalking squirrel statues around your yard.


Your point was about stalking squirrels, and a squirrel standing still instead of running away. But your not interested in anyone's point, only in smearing Zimmerman and anyone who may defend him.

I've never seen so many racists in one forum.


I did not bring squirrels or their motion into the discussion, I merely highlighted the folly of Dangerousman's comments (which began a few posts before the one you chose to quote).

I know this discussion is flying by blazing fast, but please try to keep up.

As for those who may defend Zimmerman, the position is indefensible. Those who try are smearing themselves by taking the position.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby HawkHead » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 am

Sandi wrote:I've never seen so many racists in one forum.


It makes you wonder who the troll really is, doesn't Sandi?

We are all a bunch of racists, liberals, divorced from reality losers that live in a county that,which you blogged here, needs an enema yet you choose to stay here and engage us horrible people.

You would think that someone as smart as yourself would leave and go to a blog that she is more appreciated for participating in.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 am

Dangerousman wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:And never mind that it was never proven that Zimmerman, who was on the offensive from the beginning and instigated the whole incident, was defending anything other than the fact that he was completely wrong about the person he slandered, profiled, aggressively pursed and then killed.


You mean profiled as in thinking he was a gay rapist and calling him a "creepy ass cracker?" No, wait....
Interesting. What's more suspicious: Returning home from buying Skittles and an Arizona, or aggressively chasing someone with a gun and making up stuff about him because you're paranoid, and perhaps a bit delusional like Zimmerman was?

The crap part comes when the Hoodie haters only tend to focus their fury against legal Skittles purchasers and seem incapable of admitting that the great majority of shootings are done by the criminal element including people like Zimmerman who had 2 felony charges against him for assaulting an officer, and lied so many times to the police that his attorney's feared putting him on the stand. Maybe your fury could be directed against the right group for a change.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am

Rich Schultz wrote:
18 witnesses testified for the defense, two were neighbors who spoke well of George Zimmerman, one was an elderly black lady.
Prisons are full of nice people.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby HawkHead » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am

Rich Schultz wrote:" Cathy Young: Zimmerman Backlash Continues Thanks To False Media Narrative.
This narrative has transformed Zimmerman, a man of racially mixed heritage that included white, Hispanic and black roots (a grandmother who helped raise him had an Afro-Peruvian father), into an honorary white male steeped in white privilege. It has cast him as a virulent racist even though he once had a black business partner, mentored African-American kids, lived in a neighborhood about 20 percent black, and participated in complaints about a white police lieutenant’s son getting away with beating a homeless black man.

This narrative has perpetuated the lie that Zimmerman’s history of calls to the police indicates obsessive racial paranoia. Thus, discussing the verdict on the PBS NewsHour, University of Connecticut professor and New Yorker contributor Jelani Cobb asserted that “Zimmerman had called the police 46 times in previous six years, only for African-Americans, only for African-American men.” Actually, prior to the call about Martin, only four of Zimmerman’s calls had to do with African-American men or teenage boys (and two of them were about individuals who Zimmerman thought matched the specific description of burglary suspects). Five involved complaints about whites, and one about two Hispanics and a white male; others were about such issues as a fire alarm going off, a reckless driver of unknown race, or an aggressive dog.

In this narrative, even Zimmerman’s concern for a black child—a 2011 call to report a young African-American boy walking unsupervised on a busy street, on which the police record notes, “compl[ainant] concerned for well-being”—has been twisted into crazed racism. Writing on the website of The New Republic, Stanford University law professor Richard Thompson Ford describes Zimmerman as “an edgy basket case” who called 911 about “the suspicious activities of a seven year old black boy.” This slander turns up in other left-of-center sources, such as ThinkProgress.org.

It has to be 1963 forever. Otherwise they’d have to ask some tough questions — of themselves. Read the whole thing."
Instapundit
http://reason.com/archives/2013/07/27/zimmerman-backlash-continues-thanks-to-m?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews


Just googled Cathy Young. She is a research assistant at the CATO Institute.

Seems to be the right wing MO right now. If you have a black friend or do something nice to a black person you can't be a racist.

Just to be clear, I don't know if GZ acted in a racist way but listing all the nice things he has done for a specific race or group doesn't mean he isn't racist.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Francis Di Domizio and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar