MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 16, 2013 11:49 pm

I like this clear voice. If this keeps up, I will need to reconsider what I left behind...
http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-cond ... 53788.html

Although, I would have a tough time seeing past the odd condition of the Diocese of Madison.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

Postby klambake » Fri May 17, 2013 1:08 am

Which is wonderful and all, but then there's shit like this: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... spinsters/

so, I'm not really nostalgic quite yet.
klambake

Postby Mad Howler » Fri May 17, 2013 1:49 am

klambake wrote:Which is wonderful and all, but then there's shit like this: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... spinsters/

so, I'm not really nostalgic quite yet.

Let me just say that I am encouraged by what I am hearing, but there remains a long row to hoe.
I do not know the Washington Times very well, but from my limited exposure I find it an odd publication.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Fri May 17, 2013 3:25 pm

OK, I'll give him this: He does talk about it, and I think he is sincere, given his past concern for the poor. And that is at least a positive step.

But talk is cheap. Pontiffs since Leo XII, who issued his encyclical Rerum Novarum in 1891, have talked about the dangers of capitalism run rampant and the sanctity of workers. The Popes and their institution seem to spend a lot more energy on sex run rampant and the sanctity of no birth control.

You want to institute some social justice? How about admitting gays and lesbians into full membership in the RC Church and allowing women to have the full role of priests?
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes MPMay, it may seem like dramatically lowered standards are in play on my part regarding this issue.
But I cannot expect - this occuring on this pope's watch:
How about admitting gays and lesbians into full membership in the RC Church and allowing women to have the full role of priests?

That said, I find recent signals encouraging.
Maybe...another ten centuries will get us there?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri May 24, 2013 2:03 am

I am putting this link forward again, because it was buried in the above.
Any system has it's failings, so when I see one actively striving toward good it catches my eye. I found this to be a graceful call for us all to be on board with good.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 ... 20757.html
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Seems the Curia is now catching up with Pope Frank, issuing a "clarification."

On Thursday, the Vatican issued an “explanatory note on the meaning to ‘salvation.'"

The Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who are aware of the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

Must drive the bureaucrats nuts with a Pope out talking about salvation and justice for all ... (CLARIFICATION : well, so long as you don't disdain the Catholic Church).

Link to story:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/2 ... ks-debate/
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 pm

MPMay wrote:... so long as you don't disdain the Catholic Church).

I am trying to find reasons to not disdain, as it has been part of my life.
In one way or another it is still there whether I want it to be or not.
I find comfort in hearing a voice that squares with the priority of being good and decent instilled in me by some Franciscans - back in the day.

Thank you for the link.

It doesn't seem that it is easy being this Pope.
I am grateful that he is.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 am

I think the obit below belongs here, so I am going to jack my own thread.
http://www.economist.com/news/obituary/ ... ew-greeley

Grace and goodness take many forms - this man, priest, writer, and agitator will be missed.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 pm

There has been a bit of chatter regarding the Popes first overseas visit - to his home turf. I liked this piece:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... l-millions

"The church needs you, your enthusiasm, your creativity and the joy that is so characteristic of you," he told the vast throng, hundreds of thousands of whom had slept overnight on the 4km-long beach.

The 76-year-old added visits to a favela slum, a drug rehabilitation clinic and a prison to his schedule to underscore his belief that Catholics need to reach out to the poor and underprivileged on the periphery of society.

Wow.
He seems to have a brave and insightful hold what is innovative about religion - as applied to goodness.
Very refreshing.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Being non-religious and never-Catholic I am following the pope's actions only peripherally, but I liked the following article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in- ... story.html

The headline says it all: Pope Francis calls for inclusion of gays in society, saying he has no right to ‘judge.' I have no idea where he's going with this, but it's nice to hear from this convoluted institution that condemns all sorts of sexual behavior while hiding pedophiles and apparently having some homosexuality "issues" around the previous pope. It's not easy being Catholic or even ex-Catholic, so the pope's announcement might help a bit. I have enjoyed watching the huge welcome he's getting in South America.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 pm

I agree that his comments, "Who am I to judge?" about gay priests was a huge statement. I mean Huge. Wouldn't it be nice to throw that in Morlino's face?

I really think Francis could be on the right track. The difficulty, as with all politicians (and he is a politician, say what you will), is whether he has the energy and the skills to bend the institutions to his statements of belief. It is the difference between firing up the crowds at a campaign rally and delivering the necessary legislation.

As I said before, talk is cheap. Let's see if he can move Catholic dogma on the acceptance of gays. Or on anything else. If not, he will be as revolutionary as Howard Dean.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 pm

MP,
The 'arc' of societal evolution is long.
But if you look closely - the line resolves to a helix comprised of oppositely charged and entangled forces bending its trajectory in ways that are hard to predict.

What is happening here is very interesting...
Asked about the recent protests by young people on the streets of Brazil, the Pope said: "The young person is essentially a non-conformist, and this is very beautiful.
"It is necessary to listen to young people, give them places to express themselves and to be careful that they aren't manipulated."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23489702
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines