MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

your favorite R.E.M. album

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Life's Rich Pageant

I saw them on that tour at Dane County Colesium, and it was a really big sheeww
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby bdog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Automatic for the People
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 pm

I think R.E.M. would be remembered more fondly if they had retired after that album. You know the old show biz advice, "always leave them wanting more."

"Automatic" was a beautiful album, after that they kinda farted around for 20 years. The band continued to be great live.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 am

"Fables of the Reconstruction." My first. Bought it when it came out in 1985. I was 14. It was the soundtrack of that summer and a reminder to this disaffected Nashville kid that there was more to Southern culture than bass fishing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 am

Add me to the Automatic for the People delegation.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am

Kenneth Burns wrote: Nashville kid

Sweet Jesus, you really are hard core! That dark album is the old testament of the R.E.M. canon. Green grow, the rushes grow. I love it, but it's an acquired taste. Definitely a southern album, creepy, rustic psychedelic folk, filled with eerie sonic textures

Blunt was one of the legions of R.E.M. haters back in the late 1980's after the band hit it big. I remember on his cable-access TV show he said, "R.E.M. is just a damn country western band." Ya - and your point? I wanted to slap him up the side of his bald head. This was just before Wilco, Johnny Cash and "alt-country" made it safe again for hipsters to like country. (I fear that Darius Rucker's recent country crooning has set that all back to square zero.)

I love "Fables" because the songs feature Stipe's vocal so well.

Wish there was a bootleg with decent sound from the "Fables" tour. (Actually not, I don't scavenge anymore.) One was recorded at the U.W. Stock Pavillion in 1985. Nice cover of CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."

My second favorite R.E.M. album would be a bootleg of their acoustic tour in 1991. I think both R.E.M. and Nirvana hit their recording peaks on MTV Unplugged.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am

Another vote for Fables here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 am

Murmur. No contest.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 pm

I've heard tell, maybe on TDPF, that among R.E.M. fans there are I.R.S.-era people and Warner Bros.-era people, and that there's not a ton of overlap. I definitely started losing interest pretty fast after "Green," the Warner debut.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:07 pm

MONSTER.

Also, I really like their very last album, Collapse In To Now. Also, I really like UP and a lot of the IRS stuff.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

When Michael was pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGOLDJv08c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGiNVZvEnZE

Even thought Stipe is the main show vocally, Mike Mills' vocals (counterpoint?) are a secret weapon, perfect foil for the growling one.

I like their later albums, but I don't find myself returning to them. They didn't blow me away like each new release in the 80's.

I wonder if I am the only one who loves the song "Binky the Doormat" from "New Adventures in Hi-FI"

A more telling question than "what is your favorite album?" is "what is the last one you listened to?"
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

The "Automatic for the People" DVD-Audio release in 5.1 surround.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I've been a fan ever since my longtime friend/bandmate first played me his vinyl of "Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)" off Chronic Town back in the mid-80s. Many years later we shared the pleasure/pressure of being in an REM tribute band for Halloween at the High Noon. I gotta say that our whole band tried damn hard. Our MVP was probably my friend as Peter Buck. He nailed his guitar parts. My Mike Mills was a heartfelt yet admittedly hackneyed imitation of the genuine article.
Favorite album? Tough call. Probably Lifes Rich Pageant, then maybe Fables. I like Murmur a lot but I don't think the recording quality has aged well (I'm sure that's debatable among the aficionados).
Favorite songs? Too many to choose from. I'll just say "Fall On Me", because it's so dang purty. Others would be "Auctioneer (Another Engine)", "Pretty Persuasion", "Cuyahoga", "The One I Love", "Hairshirt", "Me in Honey", and "Sweetness Follows". A few of my favorite basslines are "Radio Free Europe", "7 Chinese Bros" and "Cant Get There from Here". "These Days" was a blast to sing backup vocals on. A more recent song I really dug was "Supernatural Superserious" from Accelerate.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Here's a wild, orchestrated version of Driver 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjX7udu1SxE
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby earlfoss » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:32 pm

It is really hard to pick a favorite. I have liked each album a lot over the years. The Accelerate album is cool to me because it seemed to be capturing the earlier R.E.M. sound. Pretty neat-o.

The one I spent the most time with is probably Murmur. I wore that cassette out in high school.
earlfoss
Forum Addict

Next

Return to General Music