MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Baseball!!!!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Baseball!!!!

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Some interesting responses in an interview with Rick Schlesinger, the Brewers' chief operating officer

Q: The presumption is that Ryan Braun was a significant driver in team merchandise sales. With him out of the picture for the remainder of the season, do you expect to see a drop in merchandise sales? And by how much?

A: We will continue to offer Ryan Braun's merchandise for sale at our team stores at Miller Park. Ryan is a Milwaukee Brewer. It is within each fan's right to decide whether to purchase his merchandise or not. While it has only been a few days since the announcement of Ryan's suspension, we actually have experienced an increase in sales of Ryan Braun merchandise. We are not speculating as to the reason for this increase, but it's the reality.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:50 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
wack wack wrote:I have been impressed with the way much of Milwaukee has embraced the truth of the Braun situation. Back when Sosa was found out in Chicago, it was obvious the guy had been juicing (there was no reasonable explanation for his physical change) and yet many continued the denials.

I think it was easy to buy that he was innocent of the original charges becuse there were no obvious signs of steriod use like there were with Bonds, McGuire or Sosa (either that or Braun has been juicing for years and had a build like Urkel). Now that he's come out and admitted he made mistakes (but damn little else, like what those mistakes were) there is really no reason to pretend he isn't guilty (though it be nice if the "of what" was answered). I don't remember if Sosa ever came clean, but it's easier to be in denial when the accused is leading the way.

As far as "obvious signs of steroid use," while it's true that Braun didn't puff up like Sosa or Bonds (it was reported that Bonds' hat and shoe sizes even increased dramatically), steroids don't always result in increased bulk. Lance Armstrong didn't bloat up either, nor did the many track athletes who've already been found out and convicted. It depends on which steroids one uses and how they're used. To cling to the idea that steroids (or HGH) always result in Schwarzenegger-ish bulk is a convenient self-delusion for fans of juicers. Better eyesight and faster reflexes are also products of juicing.

Sosa never came clean. As far as I know he may still be crediting Flintstones vitamins with his bulked up '90s look. When questioned about it Sammy suddenly redeveloped the trouble with understanding and speaking English he exhibited when he was a skinny young outfielder with the White Sox and Rangers. He became kind of a Spanish speaking version of McGuire in front of Congress.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 am

Armstrong and track athletes (as well as soccer players)are usually busted for blood doping, so I wouldn't expect to see the same effect as the public expects from steriod use.

On the other hand Braun was tested at a five times the normal illegal limit(20/1 versus 4/1 if memory serves) of synthetic steriods, which true or not, the public assume will have a certain effect, which did not manifest in Braun. This is aparently due to the type and method he used to ingest the steriods which created a short spike in testosterone, which went away quickly.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Armstrong and track athletes (as well as soccer players)are usually busted for blood doping, so I wouldn't expect to see the same effect as the public expects from steriod use.

On the other hand Braun was tested at a five times the normal illegal limit(20/1 versus 4/1 if memory serves) of synthetic steriods, which true or not, the public assume will have a certain effect, which did not manifest in Braun. This is aparently due to the type and method he used to ingest the steriods which created a short spike in testosterone, which went away quickly.

Exactly, cyclist don't want extra body mass to have to bike over mountains with. They want the ability to process oxygen quicker into their muscles and to remove the waste products. Cycling is an aerobic sport, baseball and football are anaerobic sports.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Because of the Braun doping scandal, the Brewers just made an expesnive p.r. move. They will give every fan in attendance during August a ten dollar voucher for concessions, souvenirs or future game tickets. It will cost them around $3.6 million, about the same as their salary savings during Braun's suspension.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 am

I get the idea that some people think steroid use by athletes is a comparatively new thing. My first knowledge of steroids was in the early 80's and they were so pervasive and easy to get that I have a hard time believing pro and college sports were not full of them, possibly more so than today. I knew guys that played football at smaller UW campuses in WI around 1990 and it was very common.

I was a member of a gym on the west side around 83' and one day I showed up to find the counter set up like a candy store with dozens upon dozens of bottles, pills and injectables, of every popular brand at the time. Everything just right out in the open, being sold by a couple of the members. It was a crazy place.

But my point is, they were everywhere back then and I have no reason to believe they aren't still today, it's just much more hidden. When top players are being signed to 100 million dollar contracts and living the celebrity lifestyle that comes with it, why is anyone surprised when they do whatever it takes.

The sports watching public has created this world that demands super-human performance, and then feigns disgust when their heroes turn out to be merely human.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 am

It sounds like they already had something planned as an apology to fans for sucking this bad, and when the Braun thing happened they decided to expand it.

$3.6M is based on average attendance so it could go higher if the move works well and attendance goes up. On the other hand if more people decided they don't want to sit and watch meaningless games that aren't being played that well, it could be lower too.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:04 am

narcoleptish wrote:I get the idea that some people think steroid use by athletes is a comparatively new thing. My first knowledge of steroids was in the early 80's and they were so pervasive and easy to get that I have a hard time believing pro and college sports were not full of them, possibly more so than today. I knew guys that played football at smaller UW campuses in WI around 1990 and it was very common.

I graduated high school in 1988. Spring of 1987, fair-to-middlin' defensive tackle "FK" leaves junior year at 5'10", 150 lbs. He returns for senior year 3 months later, 6'2" and 210 lbs. of pure monster. He wasn't the only absurd growth spurt, just the most obvious. The steroid rumors were rampant.

Our perennially middle-of-the-pack football team went on to not just beat, but DESTROY the much feared East St. Louis team for the 1988 Illinois state football championship.

Even at 18 years old, something didn't feel right.

FK went on to the NFL, but never made it past practice squads due to an endless string of injuries. Surprise, surprise!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

I remember at the gym I frequented in the early-mid 80s, the women bodybuilders were known to use steroids. That's not a matter of performance enhancement at all, it's just bulking up. They'd get really strange-looking.

Reading about Ryan Braun now, it's nice to see other players condemning what he did -- not only the lying but the juicing itself. It's about time. I disliked reading the excuses people would put up (even on this forum) for athletic drugging, like claiming it's such a fine line between medically advisable drugs and PEDs why bother to distinguish. Maybe that phase is over and we can go back to having athletes we respect for their hard work and skill, ones who can stand up as examples to little kids without having to hide the other half of the story.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Great weekend for baseball! On Saturday, the Madison Mallards captured their second Northwoods League championship. On Sunday the Brewers nudged the Chicago Cubs back into the cellar where they belong. Keeping them there is what's left as the definition of a successful 2013 season for me. As always, FTC and GBTI to their fans.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking