MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

North Carolina embraces Emma Goldman

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

North Carolina embraces Emma Goldman

Postby DCB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Paraphrasing:

"If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your fascist plutocracy."

It should have been a solemn day last Thursday when the NC General Assembly passed legislation that has been called the most severe voter restrictions and Anti-Choice legislation in the country, but instead there was fiddling, dancing and ice cream.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1012036
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: North Carolina embraces Emma Goldman

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Well I guess that fits right in with NC Governor McCrory handing a plate of chocolate chip cookies to an abortion rights protester camped outside his mansion.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/31/abortion-rights-supporters-return-cookies-from-n-c-governor/

Must be some sort of niceness offensive. Or perhaps merely offensive niceness, take your pick.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:Well I guess that fits right in with NC Governor McCrory handing a plate of chocolate chip cookies to an abortion rights protester camped outside his mansion.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/31/abortion-rights-supporters-return-cookies-from-n-c-governor/

Must be some sort of niceness offensive. Or perhaps merely offensive niceness, take your pick.

See, this whats wrong with all the damn extreme positions. Man brings out a nice plate of chocolate chip cookies for those with whom he has a political disagreement, and rather then thank him for the cookies (while continuing their protest) they have to try an make a political statement over it. Eat the damn cookies (ask him to stay and share them with you while having a civil discussion) then make bake a nice batch of cookies to return with the plate. This zero sum bullshit isn't working for the country.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:32 pm

I agree -- if the Governor had stopped to chat and have a cup of coffee with the protestors instead of running straight back across his lawn, surrounded by his security detail, no doubt his kind gesture would not have been so badly misconstrued. But for some reason he didn't seem to be interested in talking. Imagine! A politician! Not interested in having a discussion with a group of highly politically engaged constituents! About whom he cared enough to bring a whole plate of cookies! And yet he could not linger for a couple of extra minutes or exchange a few words or thoughts. You know how that looks.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby donges » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:You know how that looks.

Yeah. Like the cookies were tainted with arsenic.
Or worse.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:See, this whats wrong with all the damn extreme positions.

I don't see the protesters as taking an extreme position. They just refused to be civil to a guy who went back on his word and embraced a radical anti-choice policy. Along with a host of other extremist bills.

If McCrory was interested in finding some kind of common ground, he should have done that before signing those bills.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 am

DCB wrote:I don't see the protesters as taking an extreme position. They just refused to be civil to a guy who went back on his word and embraced a radical anti-choice policy. Along with a host of other extremist bills.

If McCrory was interested in finding some kind of common ground, he should have done that before signing those bills.

I was mostly being toung in cheek, but perhaps I should have said taking positions to an extreme which was more to my point.

The idea that finding common ground can only happen before a major law is passed and not after is moronic and short sighted. If you have only one political issue that you care about and it prevents you from addressing any other issue, you are the problem not the political jackass who changed his mind about a new law (or more likely lied about his position get get votes). At least he's trying to move on after a bad fight and not hold a grudge.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
DCB wrote:I don't see the protesters as taking an extreme position. They just refused to be civil to a guy who went back on his word and embraced a radical anti-choice policy. Along with a host of other extremist bills.

I was mostly being toung in cheek, but perhaps I should have said taking positions to an extreme which was more to my point.

The idea that finding common ground can only happen before a major law is passed and not after is moronic and short sighted. If you have only one political issue that you care about and it prevents you from addressing any other issue, you are the problem not the political jackass who changed his mind about a new law (or more likely lied about his position get get votes). At least he's trying to move on after a bad fight and not hold a grudge.

After he severely limits the woman's right to control the medical care of her own body.

Is it OK if it was a slavery bill and then the Governor gave the newly enslaved people cookies? Should the slaves say, "well at least we have cookies as we are forced to labor in our master's field for nothing."

Or in the woman's case, "I am so glad I have cookies to eat but this medical condition that will probably kill me during the pregnancy and my baby has a genetic defect that will only allow him to live for 2 hours so I can't terminate my pregnancy is GREAT!!!"
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 am

HawkHead wrote:After he severely limits the woman's right to control the medical care of her own body.

Is it OK if it was a slavery bill and then the Governor gave the newly enslaved people cookies? Should the slaves say, "well at least we have cookies as we are forced to labor in our master's field for nothing."

this is exactly the stupid shit I'm talking about. Has he fucked them over on an issue? hell yes. Does that mean they've lost all rights and are just slaves? No, and they should damn well be sure to have their say about other issue that should be important to them, becuase they still have that right.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 am

Or in the woman's case, "I am so glad I have cookies to eat but this medical condition that will probably kill me during the pregnancy and my baby has a genetic defect that will only allow him to live for 2 hours so I can't terminate my pregnancy is GREAT!!!"

Four sno-stars for these paragraphs.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:this is exactly the stupid shit I'm talking about. Has he fucked them over on an issue? hell yes. Does that mean they've lost all rights and are just slaves? No, and they should damn well be sure to have their say about other issue that should be important to them, becuase they still have that right.

Gee thanks governor for not completely depriving me of all my rights, you are so generous.

Just how extreme do the Republicans have to get before you give up treating them as reasonable?

They've made it pretty clear they go to any lengths to pass their agenda. They stuck their abortion bill onto a motorcycle safety bill!

I don't see why anyone should pretend you can have an honest dialogue with them.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

DCB wrote:They've made it pretty clear they go to any lengths to pass their agenda.

I don't see why anyone should pretend you can have an honest dialogue with them.

Just throwing it out there, but my guess is there are people neither of us would find political common ground with, saying the exact same thing on different forums.

I think you are just as wrong as they are.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

HawkHead wrote:After he severely limits the woman's right to control the medical care of her own body.

this is exactly the stupid shit I'm talking about. Has he fucked them over on an issue? hell yes. Does that mean they've lost all rights and are just slaves? No, and they should damn well be sure to have their say about other issue that should be important to them, becuase they still have that right.

I think you are saying this because you are a male. (Of course Francis cold be a woman also) You don't have to carry a baby for 9 months. You don't have to put your life at risk to have a child. You don't have the Government regulating your ability to have children or not to have children if you choose.

A lot of women in NC will now be forced to carry their fetuses to birth because of this law. Some of those births will lead to death.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:03 pm

DCB wrote:They've made it pretty clear they go to any lengths to pass their agenda.

Just throwing it out there, but my guess is there are people neither of us would find political common ground with, saying the exact same thing on different forums.

I think you are just as wrong as they are.

You are right about both sides saying the same thing.

But your second point I don't agree with. When did the outright hostility occur in our political machinery? When President Obama was elected. He hadn't even proposed legislation or been sworn in.

On the Wisconsin stage, I have a client who use to be a lobbyist. He is now retied. He said after Walker was elected a few of the legislators that he lobbied said (these are R state Senators) as soon as Walker is sworn in a whole new ball game was going to start at the Capitol and their would be no compromise at all.

Money seems to be the biggest factor in this to me. Once Citizens United went thru big moneyed interests can effectively control the outcome.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Availability of abortion, access to birth control, this is the civil rights issue of the day. Women are condemned to be the passive carriers of unwanted entities are basically slaves to a culture that finds that to be the best use of their bodies.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines