MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Quaker Steak and Lube Downtown - Closed

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Quaker Steak and Lube Downtown - Closed

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am

No big surprise, I never saw more than a few people in there at any given time.

I did always think they had wasted an opportunity though. The Quaker Steak in Middleton does “Bike Night” every Wednesday and shuts down their parking lot for an impromptu motorcycle show and live band outside. I always thought it’d be cool if the Quaker Steak downtown would have done something similar except with bicycles in the City parking lot next door – oh well, too late now.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quaker Steak and Lube Downtown - Closed

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Come to think of it, I don't really see a lot of downtown pick-ups with these on them..

or

being driven by guys wearing these..

So maybe it's not a huge surprise.

(I did like bike night the time I went.)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:03 am

Their biggest competition was Buffalo Wild Wings in the Lucky Bldg, which is much bigger and does an awesome business. BWW already had an established history and following downtown from their previous location on State St. Plus, the specials at BWW were better. Like narco said, the theme and traditional target clientele (gear heads and motor bikers) of Quaker Steak just wasn't a fit for the downtown scene.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Their biggest competition was Buffalo Wild Wings in the Lucky Bldg, which is much bigger and does an awesome business. BWW already had an established history and following downtown from their previous location on State St. Plus, the specials at BWW were better. Like narco said, the theme and traditional target clientele (gear heads and motor bikers) of Quaker Steak just wasn't a fit for the downtown scene.

I don't know if that is Quaker Steak's only clientele. We go to the one in Middleton 3 or 4 times a year. They do have bike and car nights, but the majority of the dining customers appear to be families with kids, or twenty-thirty somethings. Basically, it is like TGI Fridays with auto racing paraphernalia on the wall. (Also much, much better food.)
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I also doubt if a TGI Fridays could make a go of it that close to campus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Igor wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:Their biggest competition was Buffalo Wild Wings in the Lucky Bldg, which is much bigger and does an awesome business. BWW already had an established history and following downtown from their previous location on State St. Plus, the specials at BWW were better. Like narco said, the theme and traditional target clientele (gear heads and motor bikers) of Quaker Steak just wasn't a fit for the downtown scene.

I don't know if that is Quaker Steak's only clientele. We go to the one in Middleton 3 or 4 times a year. They do have bike and car nights, but the majority of the dining customers appear to be families with kids, or twenty-thirty somethings. Basically, it is like TGI Fridays with auto racing paraphernalia on the wall. (Also much, much better food.)

I didn't say that was their only clientele. I said their traditional target clientele. That theme is obviously meant to appeal to certain types of people. In my mind, gear head could refer to anyone who likes NASCAR or even someone who's proud of their big, black Chevy truck. I've been to both a couple of times, and I'm nothing like that, so obviously these aren't hard and fast rules.

Their food isn't much better than TGI Fridays at all. They both have pretty standard corporate prepped fare in my opinion.

The fact remains that they couldn't draw enough customers away from the popular Buffalo Wild Wings to stay in business, and I knew that would be their biggest obstacle when they first opened.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Their food isn't much better than TGI Fridays at all. They both have pretty standard corporate prepped fare in my opinion.

The fact remains that they couldn't draw enough customers away from the popular Buffalo Wild Wings to stay in business, and I knew that would be their biggest obstacle when they first opened.

Meh - I liked their wings. Nothing transcendent mind you, but I don't recall ever having something I liked at TGI Fridays. The BW3 out near us seems just as overpriced and not any better taste wise, but my kids will go out their with their friends on their discount wing night.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Their biggest competition was Buffalo Wild Wings in the Lucky Bldg, which is much bigger and does an awesome business. BW-3 already had an established history and following downtown from their previous location on State St. Plus, the specials at BW-3 were better. Like narco said, the theme and traditional target clientele (gear heads and motor bikers) of Quaker Steak just wasn't a fit for the downtown scene.

Fixt.

I went to the QS&L out in Middleton once years ago, and was entirely unimpressed, both with the food and the atmosphere. Never had any desire to go back or check out the one downtown.

As for BW-3, I'm sure the new one is fine, but I miss the one on State St. Mmm, late night drinks and wings.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am

lukpac wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:Their biggest competition was Buffalo Wild Wings in the Lucky Bldg, which is much bigger and does an awesome business. BW-3 already had an established history and following downtown from their previous location on State St. Plus, the specials at BW-3 were better. Like narco said, the theme and traditional target clientele (gear heads and motor bikers) of Quaker Steak just wasn't a fit for the downtown scene.

Fixt.

I went to the QS&L out in Middleton once years ago, and was entirely unimpressed, both with the food and the atmosphere. Never had any desire to go back or check out the one downtown.

As for BW-3, I'm sure the new one is fine, but I miss the one on State St. Mmm, late night drinks and wings.

I also know it as BW3's (Buffulao Wild Wings & Weck), but the company stopped calling itself that about 15 years ago, because they don't serve beef on weck anymore, which is a local specialty from Buffalo, NY. I'm all for nostalgia, but a lot of youngsters have no idea what I'm talking when I call it BW3's, and since it isn't correct, anyway, I chose to use BWW.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues