MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, October 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

your favorite R.E.M. album

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby CarlosD » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:Here's a wild, orchestrated version of Driver 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjX7udu1SxE


:)
CarlosD
Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby acereraser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:23 pm

I will say Reckoning, because not only it is true most of the time for me, but also because of the odd contrary option it offers. Back in college (early 90s), that was the album folks most often said was their favorite if they wanted to prove their college rock cred, as in "Yeah, I like Green well enough, but I love Reckoning."

And yet, it wasn't mentioned in this thread yet. Maybe Reckoning's cred factor is played out. Or, I went to Uncool U. Nah, I still have my "A Pistol Hot Cup of Rhyme" button somewhere, that saves me.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Learned » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Huckleby wrote: One was recorded at the U.W. Stock Pavillion in 1985. Nice cover of CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."

http://www.upthedownstair.net/2006/09/show-87-rem.html
Learned
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2001 11:02 am

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Learned wrote:
Huckleby wrote: One was recorded at the U.W. Stock Pavillion in 1985. Nice cover of CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."

http://www.upthedownstair.net/2006/09/show-87-rem.html


wow! Great website, somebody's labor of love.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6743
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm

acereraser wrote:Maybe Reckoning's cred factor is played out. Or, I went to Uncool U.

You went to Youngster U. Chronic Town was the credhead pick in my day.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby rrnate » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Four things here:

A) OMG, I really hate Green. I can't even really SAY why at this point - I just don't like most of those songs. (I do kind of like Get Up, but even that hasn't aged real well with me.)

B) When I was 14 and got Monster (admittedly, my very first REM-buy), my next pick up was Eponymous, which confused me a great deal at the time; I thought I was getting an "REM's Greatest Hits" and like, it sounded like a different band (at least up until 'Finest Work Song' and 'End of the World'). Took a while to figure that one out.

C) Have you guys ever seen - http://popsongs.wordpress.com/ - ? Pretty cool for REM nerds.

D) Murmer - Supa, I think there was a pretty great clean-up re-master from a few years ago that makes that album sound pretty amazing. Side note - I sure wish they had done a whole album in the style of the original Radio Free Europe single (Hib-Tone release?), 'cause man, that sounds amazing to me.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby baked goods » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 pm

R.E.M. sucks.
baked goods
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm
Location: Madison

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 am

I'm with Kenneth (what's the frequency?).

Fables is the best and the whole Warner Brothers catalog can eat a bag of dicks.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby pjbogart » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 am

I'm going with the OP and "Life's Rich Pageant". It's just got a beautiful sound, rich harmony and there aren't really any duds on the entire album. Plus, as unhip as it might be to admit, "Fall On Me" remains my favorite R.E.M. song. "Fables of the Reconstruction" probably comes in at #2.

I bought a lot of R.E.M. albums over the years, but as the years wear on I occasionally prune my collection and get rid of high school memorabilia that I never actually listen to such as U2's "October" or The Cure's "Disintegration". My IPod only has Murmur through Life's Rich Pageant at this point... I even tired of Document at some point, so I own no Warner releases and don't even own all of the IRS stuff anymore. I was tempted at one point to axe Murmur as well, but I can never part with Shaking Through.

These days I'm getting my Country fix from Jake Bugg
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Huckleby » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Fables is the best and the whole Warner Brothers catalog can eat a bag of dicks.


You know, if you spent some time with albums like "Up" and "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", let the music slowly seep into your subconscious, I bet you would probably still not like them.

But I say the music in the Warner Catalog is still more interesting than 95% of pop music. They continued to be creative, dare I say artists. As I said before, the later albums might have hurt their reputation because they weren't accessible beauties like their earlier work. They didn't quit while they were ahead, like the Beatles, (who Stipe smugly dismissed as "elevator music", btw. Stipe also arrogantly calls R.E.M.'s early music juvenile compared to their Warner catalog. Michael can be irritating.)

A band I compare to R.E.M. in longterm artistic integrity would be Yo La Tengo.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6743
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Mean Scenester wrote:Fables is the best and the whole Warner Brothers catalog can eat a bag of dicks.


You know, if you spent some time with albums like "Up" and "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", let the music slowly seep into your subconscious, I bet you would probably still not like them.

But I say the music in the Warner Catalog is still more interesting than 95% of pop music. They continued to be creative, dare I say artists. As I said before, the later albums might have hurt their reputation because they weren't accessible beauties like their earlier work. They didn't quit while they were ahead, like the Beatles, (who Stipe smugly dismissed as "elevator music", btw. Stipe also arrogantly calls R.E.M.'s early music juvenile compared to their Warner catalog. Michael can be irritating.)

A band I compare to R.E.M. in longterm artistic integrity would be Yo La Tengo.


I'd disagree with the YLT comparison; I think the last few from YLT easily rank amongst their best, and the only people that'd disagree are the ones who had, I dunno, "Heart Beating As One" or whichever one, in big rotation back before they started hating music and bitching about music all the time, like REM fans who bitch about the Warner years. Hmm. Never mind on that disagreement.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Huckleby » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:13 am

rrnate wrote:I'd disagree with the YLT comparison; I think the last few from YLT easily rank amongst their best, and the only people that'd disagree are the ones who had, I dunno, "Heart Beating As One" or whichever one, in big rotation back before they started hating music and bitching about music all the time, like REM fans who bitch about the Warner years. Hmm. Never mind on that disagreement.


I wasn't dissing R.E.M.'s Warner years, on the contrary, I was saying they never sold out, they kept experimenting. Same with Yo La Tengo. I don't think R.E.M.'s later work is as consistent or accessible as their early stuff, but that's irrelevant to artistic integrity.

Music is subjective, the people who don't like the more recent music of YLT or REM or XTC or AFI or CCR aren't necessarily less sophisticated listeners than you.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6743
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 am

Huckleby wrote:They didn't quit while they were ahead, like the Beatles, (who Stipe smugly dismissed as "elevator music", btw.  Stipe also arrogantly calls R.E.M.'s early music juvenile compared to their Warner catalog.   Michael can be irritating.)

The Beatles can be irritating. I'm with Stipe. (except that I prefer the juvenile R.E.M.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 am

I am surprised to find that music I have enjoyed for decades is irritating, juvenile, and a bunch of other pejoratives that my parents used to describe it.

Damn. The more things change.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6307
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: your favorite R.E.M. album

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 am

Stipe sang the liner notes to a gospel album to the instrumental tracks for "7 Chinese Brothers." Judge for yourself. I think it is pure wonderfulness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb6jjEApfmg
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6743
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

PreviousNext

Return to General Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar