MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Suzy Favor Hamilton, Las Vegas Call-Girl

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Suzy Favor Hamilton, Las Vegas Call-Girl

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Huckleby wrote:Oh, and you may think the word "pussy" is good to go, but I once knew a woman who hated that word more than any in the english language. She was a strong feminist back in the 70's, and the metaphor of the female genitals as weakness drove her bonkers.

If I call you a pussy, Huck, is that really referring to ladyparts?

Or is it referring to an actual cat? Were you ever called a "fraidy cat" as a kid? I suspect that most of us were at one time or another. Generally by a friend when we declined to do something that we thought might be dangerous or unpleasant. I've always understood calling someone a pussy to be more along the "fraidy cat" line than the ladyparts.

Some other phrases that sound genitaliac but are not:

Balls out
Balls to the wall
Dead nuts
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a monkey

As for cunt, I share your perplexity about why women consider it so offensive. Ducatista likened it to nigger. I agree that, used to describe a person "she's a real cunt" it is offensive but why any more than saying "He is a real prick"?

As an anatomical description "luscious as a young woman's cunt" why should it be any worse than "dick"?

If you go to England, I don't think it is even used to refer to women at all. Men are called cunts in the same way and with a similar meaning to the way we call men pricks here. Not sure if this is all over or just in certain areas, though.

Perhaps it is just one more thing for women to complain about. I am all for making sure they have a sufficiency of that. If they were not complaining about that, they might complain about something more annoying.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:That last point is a very valid critique. But does that invalidate the word's use just to refer to female genitalia?

well, I'm fine with any slang word referring to genitalia, they're all fine and valid with me.

Different context, but when you call somebody a pussy, meaning weak, that word is not freighted with kitty cat properties. It goes back to the traditional view of women as soft, and there is nothing particularly ferocious about the vulva. It's soft and furry and not so far from the nurturing womb.

Similarly, I think "dick" and "prick" carry a hard edge. Those words fit well with somebody who is over-aggressive. There are gender stereotype at play with these words, no about a doubt it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:If you go to England, I don't think it is even used to refer to women at all.
I think in England "fanny" is word for pussy, if memory serves. Go to England and all bets are off.

johnfajardohenry wrote:There was a great Seinfeld episode that examined this question. Jerry was not sure whether he was paying his maid/girlfriend for sex or cleaning.

That was indeed a hilarious episode.

I don't think any TV show has come close to matching Seinfeld for wit and creativity. Some say MASH. I say phooey.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:I don't think any TV show has come close to matching Seinfeld for wit and creativity. Some say MASH. I say phooey.

I don't think I ever saw an episode when it was actually running. But then a few years later I saw an episode in reruns and was hooked. I have all the DVDs and have watched them numerous times. When it is on the tube I tend to watch it. There is always something that makes me laugh out loud, even though I've seen it a dozen times before.

I think the secret is that every episode has 4 separate stories, one for each character. Each story could, with minor padding and adjustment, stand on its own. In the maid story:

Jerry and the maid
Elaine and the problem with phone #
George and his nickname
Kramer and his long distance relationship

But they are not presented as individual vignettes. They intertwine to make a seamless whole.

I can't think of another show that has tried to do that.

If you have not seen Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" show, it is pretty good.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 am

You two gentleman didn't have to share one screen name. We have room.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Suzy Favor Hamilton's name stripped from Big Ten award
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... d/2482843/

"The Big Ten female athlete of the year award no longer is named for the Olympic track star from Wisconsin who later acknowledged working as a prostitute. Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said Tuesday that Suzy Favor Hamilton's name was removed from the award after discussions between the league and Wisconsin."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 am

when i read the entire thread, it struck me that no one seemed to pick up that maybe the proximate cause for her going into the 60 hamilton per hour favours business is that her husband was a fuckhead. i'm not saying he is, coz i would have no way to know; the sfh household is out of range of my super doppler 6900 husband-is-a-fuckhead-dar, but extrapolating from other cases one has to wonder.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:54 am

One has to wonder how you can be so offensive AND stupid.

Blaming the victim, and admitting you have to information on which to do so. Classic.

If you want to see how well your f*ckhead-dar is working, go to the nearest mirror, listen for a loud "ping." If you don't hear it, your FH-dar is broken.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Stu, forget the union sub-chairman of the south side transit garage, you need to get SFH on that show of yours.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 pm

or maybe haarp made her do it. just kidding

well, as far as being stupid and causing offence, i point to your hagiography of bruer some months back. do u have frenzies after sundown to come up with this stuff? "never took anything for himself" u two doth protest too much. u should have been kicked out of the democratic party for that bruer business, u fucken communist mafioso pinhead motherfucking censoring arsehole.

i was speaking theoretically, u infernal pflp member! does the reason u are so touchy and angry about this . . . well, u have shown up as a big honkin +95 dbz bullseye on everyone's hifhd for a raccoon's age, something which even has been discussed here at idpf. fuck u.

so long folks! heh heh heh

"we will catch up. then we will outstrip u. then we will show u kuzka's mother."
-- nikita kruschev to ike, quoted in pravada 31.x.1961
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines