MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Paul Ryan, (R)?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Paul Ryan, (R)?

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Even Mr. Ryan attempts to run from the evil (R) word.
"I think a lot of people (before the 2012 race) didn't really see me as 'Paul Ryan, Republican.' They saw me as 'my representative.' And when you get thrown on a ticket, they see you as, 'Paul Ryan, Republican,' " the congressman said. "So clearly I got more of a party identity affixed to me than I've had before. And my job, my goal, is to go back to those people who have always supported me in the past because of who I am, not because of the party I belonged to, and tell them, 'Look, I'm the same guy. I haven't changed.' "

JSOnline (paywall)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Paul Ryan, (R)?

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:23 pm

from the same article:
Going into the election, Ryan often portrayed the contest as a grand referendum between competing worldviews, in which the American electorate could resolve a long-standing debate and choose between a Republican philosophy of individual liberty and free markets and (his words) a more collectivist Democratic vision of a European-style social welfare state.

So, going in, it was about (R) vs (D).

But, (D) won so...nevermind, it must've been something else.
But Ryan has downplayed the broader implications of the GOP defeat since the election, arguing Wednesday at a Wall Street Journal breakfast that the outcome was closer than people realize and was partly attributable to Democrats' "phenomenal" job using technology to identify their voters and turn them out.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm

jman111 wrote:Even Mr. Ryan attempts to run from the evil (R) word.
"I think a lot of people (before the 2012 race) didn't really see me as 'Paul Ryan, Republican.' They saw me as 'my representative.' And when you get thrown on a ticket, they see you as, 'Paul Ryan, Republican,' " the congressman said. "So clearly I got more of a party identity affixed to me than I've had before. And my job, my goal, is to go back to those people who have always supported me in the past because of who I am, not because of the party I belonged to, and tell them, 'Look, I'm the same guy. I haven't changed.' "

JSOnline (paywall)

Bolded text seems like an odd statement considering he still won his district comfortably. I'm reminded of Gore's comments about going home and mending fences after the 2000 election. The difference of course being Gore lost his home state. I guess Ryan isn't comfortable not wining by double digits.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

chait's been ripping ryan a new a-hole for a while now. it never gets old.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/paul-ryan-breaks-down-under-wonkterrogation.html
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am

Translation:
Gregory: which part of the safety net
makes people lazy?

Ryan: food stamps – six months on those
and people forget how to work hard unlike
when I was young and on welfare and
was determined to better myself

Gregory: that makes perfect sense

Ryan: America is a great nation of
moochers and lazy welfare cheats

Gregory: isn't the problem in Washington
that people just don't have enough beers together

Ryan: no – the problem is that
Barack Obama doesn't think that
the best way to help poor people
is to cut taxes for rich people
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GordonFreeman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50 pm

He's an R and a D. Retarded Douchebag.
GordonFreeman

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Paul Ryan attends secretive Koch Brothers event in New Mexico

“Something is going on at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya that no one wants to talk about. Everyone is hush-hush. KOB Eyewitness News 4 has been told the entire place has been sold out the last three nights. When KOB sent one of our photographers out tonight, he was stopped at a roadblock about a mile from the high-end resort on Santa Ana Pueblo.”

What did Ryan do or say at the conference? His office won’t tell. Absolute silence appears to be one of the first rules of dealing with the Kochs.

“I can confirm he was there,” responded Ryan aide William Allison by email. “But not confirming/commenting on anything beyond that.”

The Skull and Bones-style secrecy of the events reinforces the notion that the Kochs hold great influence over Republican politicians and their agendas.

Ryan was probably just getting his marching orders and he better follow them or the Koch money spigot goes dry.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Your point is...?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Your point is...?

You have to ask if there is a point?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:23 pm

The point is at the top of Ned's head, but his hair covers it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Ryan isn't as conservative as some would like. Especially when he endorses the wrong candidate in an Alabama Republican primary race. He's even being called a union loving lefty.

...American Spectator columnist Quin Hillyer, who attacked Ryan for his views on immigration and labor relations.

"Alabama's economy is dependent on being a right to work state, but Ryan keeps adding to a long record of limiting employee freedom and driving up costs via support for the horrible Davis-Bacon law and other suck-ups to union bosses," Hillyer said.

Hillyer, who has been backed by Rick Santorum, also referred to Ryan, who is among the top contenders for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, as “leftward-moving.”

What's next, Scott Walker painted as a middle-of-the-roader?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What's next, Scott Walker painted as a middle-of-the-roader?

Clearly a lefty too, he keeps sucking up to union bosses by not making us a right to work state.

Hillyer, who has been backed by Rick Santorum

Normally being endorsed by Santorum would lower my opinion of the endorsee, but Hillyer might just have managed to out "batshit crazy" the fecal matter man.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 am

jman111 wrote:Even Mr. Ryan attempts to run from the evil (R) word.

I think the evil R's might return the favor. His poverty report gets eviscerated here.

Basically everything in Ryan’s report turns out to be wrong. The Fiscal Times contacts a number of researchers whom Ryan cites, and they all report that Ryan knows nothing of their work:

Meanwhile, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities has a longer list of the errors, distortions, and omissions in Ryan’s report. Even libertarian economist Tyler Cowen concludes that Ryan’s report presents “only a marginal command of the scholarly literature, and it is a good example of how the conservative movement is still allowing the poverty issue to defeat it and tie it up in knots.”
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government