MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Iced Tea & Baking Soda

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Iced Tea & Baking Soda

Postby john_titor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 pm

How good could it be? So good that I thought about it a lot this week. Just a pinch before you steep seems to really make for a smooth tea. Off to make another pitcher.

Original recipe makes 2 quarts

1 pinch baking soda

2 cups boiling water

6 tea bags

3/4 cup white sugar (too much; 1/2 c max)

6 cups cool water

Directions
Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda into a 64-ounce, heat-proof, glass pitcher. Pour in boiling water, and add tea bags. Cover, and allow to steep for 15 minutes.Remove tea bags, and discard; stir in sugar until dissolved. Pour in cool water, then refrigerate until cold.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/smooth-sweet-tea/
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Iced Tea & Baking Soda

Postby john_titor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I have been making a lot of iced tea this summer. I again am here to testify on baking soda. It is the secret weapon. Smooth. Pro vs. Am; Cat Daddy vs. Chump. Try it.

I have been adding in different blends as well. I keep the amount of bags at six and will make three bags of herbal and three of regular. I would really like to go to that place downtown and get some of their extracts.

I make the two quarts and it will last me through the weekend. A very sessionable drink for under a buck.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:10 am

Interesting. I wonder if the baking soda has any effect on the actual brewing process, or if it simply conditions the pH/ionic strength of the water to a degree that it feels and tastes smoother. If it's the latter, one might be able to simply add baking soda to already brewed tea, like the stuff I already have in my pitcher in the fridge.

Also, I have been doing tea wrong my whole life, apparently. Only 2 cups of boiling water? I usually dump a whole teapot of boiling water over 6ish bags.

On a related subject, if you ever cook using dry beans a half teaspoon of baking soda per bag of beans during a slow-cook will help them soften up. I've made beans using Madison tap water that refused to soften even after hours of simmering. Adding a little baking soda fixed that. Adding a little more baking soda makes your beans taste like baking soda, so keep that in mind.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:14 am

I use baking soda in the overnight soaking water for my beans. Then rinse and cook. It cuts the cooking time in half, makes them uniformly tender, and they seem to have less cracked skins, so they look better too.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Interesting. I wonder if the baking soda has any effect on the actual brewing process, or if it simply conditions the pH/ionic strength of the water to a degree that it feels and tastes smoother. If it's the latter, one might be able to simply add baking soda to already brewed tea, like the stuff I already have in my pitcher in the fridge.

I was thinking of my reply and trying to figure out the taste; it squashes the tannins. The first hit from Google is from NPR:

"The baking soda might seem strange, but it softens the natural tannins that cause an acid or bitter taste."
http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/feature ... g/icedtea/

Also, I have been doing tea wrong my whole life, apparently. Only 2 cups of boiling water? I usually dump a whole teapot of boiling water over 6ish bags.

Easier to make handle, make a lot of it and scale up. I also find it is easier to get all the sugar dissolved and cool quicker.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues