MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Red bikes

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Red bikes

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm wondering if I'm recalling correctly that there are bicycles for rent in one of the parks down town. I thought it was an extension of the red bike program but when I looked it up and it just linked me to redbikes @ budget bicycle or something. What I'm looking for is, thought I saw some stations with some locked up Treks that you rent with your credit card.

Sound... familiar? If so, which park and/or is there a link to where the docking stations are where you can got those bikes for rent.

Thanks!
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Red bikes

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:http://madison.bcycle.com/

Ah that's better thanks Henry.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Right there in front of us, in black and white pixels, is proof of just how much Bludgie gets around Madison.

Or is it a cunning ploy to make us think he hasn't been outside since 2011?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I haven't taken my bike out at all this summer. Like, as in, not at all. I've been extra busy at work with this bustling Obama economy (tempered only by Scott Walker's attempts to weaken the recovery). Also, I spent almost two months no-lifing "Dark Souls": get up, play Dark Souls, go to work, come home, play Dark Souls, go to bed, rinse, repeat. Two weeks ago I went to take my bike for a ride and the tires were pretty flat. I went for a walk down the Capital City Trail instead.

Now that I've told you this I'll feel obligated to pump up my tires and ride to Mt. Horeb. Thanks for your hard work, forons!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 pm

rabble wrote:Right there in front of us, in black and white pixels, is proof of just how much Bludgie gets around Madison.

I don't get this.

But anyway ... There are two "red bike" programs. The Trek bikes described in that link above is not a very exciting service, IMO. High priced, only useful in campus area, or small area downtown. Maybe it is a good deal for some. Anybody use it?

Budget Bikes has provided recycled bikes for free for decades. Not sure how common they are anymore.
http://redbikes.org/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Huckleby wrote:
rabble wrote:Right there in front of us, in black and white pixels, is proof of just how much Bludgie gets around Madison.

I don't get this.

I'm not going to put words into rabble's mouth, but aren't Redbikes for tourists? You live in Madison and don't even own a freakin' bike? Maybe he's got friends visiting and needs to rent some bikes to show them all of the wonderful things Madison has to offer. I guess I'd buy that.

Or perhaps rabble meant, "how can you be so ignorant of the goings-on around town when you live here? Don't you see the rental bikes outside the zoo? Have you been no-lifing "Dark Souls" or what?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 pm

pjbogart wrote: I'm not going to put words into rabble's mouth, but aren't Redbikes for tourists?

Maybe, but they are awfully expensive for somebody to rent.

edit: actually, I looked up the rates, it's not too bad for a day rental.
But you have to keep returning the bikes to a portal within a 30-minute window or get socked for extra $5 / half hour fee. That doesn't sound like a day at the beach.

Maybe it is more useful for somebody who has a yearly pass, and needs to get around downtown for practical reasons, stays within the 30 minute limits always. But I don't really see much appeal.

pjbogart wrote:Or perhaps rabble meant, "how can you be so ignorant of the goings-on around town when you live here?

The part I don't get is the personal hostility.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:09 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Huckleby wrote:

I don't get this.

I'm not going to put words into rabble's mouth, but aren't Redbikes for tourists? You live in Madison and don't even own a freakin' bike? Maybe he's got friends visiting and needs to rent some bikes to show them all of the wonderful things Madison has to offer. I guess I'd buy that.

Or perhaps rabble meant, "how can you be so ignorant of the goings-on around town when you live here? Don't you see the rental bikes outside the zoo? Have you been no-lifing "Dark Souls" or what?

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself. I was unclear and deserve to be chastised.

Am I correct to assume that Huck didn't know b-cycle existed either?

I was of the opinion that anyone who spent just a few minutes a day walking around almost anywhere near downtown knew what a bcycle was and wouldn't need to ask about whether there were " some stations with some locked up Treks that you rent with your credit card." That may have been a mistake.

And I thought red bikes was a freebie bicycle that you just used until you were done with it but it was dam hard to find one. Maybe that's not what they are any more.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I seem to remember there were both red and yellow bikes. The yellow ones I think you could rent for longer term, maybe? But the red ones were free, need it, take it, have it, leave it sorta thing.
Except I would always see them locked up. I remember thinking, "oh, they're going to go to hell," lol.
Haven't seen one, locked or otherwise, in quite a while....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 am

rabble wrote:Am I correct to assume that Huck didn't know b-cycle existed either?

I was of the opinion that anyone who spent just a few minutes a day walking around almost anywhere near downtown knew what a bcycle was and wouldn't need to ask about whether there were " some stations with some locked up Treks that you rent with your credit card." That may have been a mistake.

On the weekends especially, you can't throw a rock without hitting someone on a b-Cycle. So if someone doesn't know what they are, it's pretty good evidence that they don't spend any time downtown.

And I thought red bikes was a freebie bicycle that you just used until you were done with it but it was dam hard to find one. Maybe that's not what they are any more.

Yeah, most of those ended up in a lake.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Yeah, most of those ended up in a lake.

I've heard about those lakes. Where are they exactly? I've never been able to find them.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 am

DCB wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Yeah, most of those ended up in a lake.

I've heard about those lakes. Where are they exactly? I've never been able to find them.

There's a big one over there and another one over there and a couple more beyond the horizon.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Has anybody in this forum used one of those B-Cycles?

I really don't get them. If they are popular, who is using them?

You have to return them to a portal every 30 minutes or pay $5 per half hour. Not very relaxing for a tourist. I'm guessing the users have seasonal passes, and do a lot of very short trips downtown. They don't have many portals outside of the immediate downtown.

Many of the residents in Madison don't come downtown that much, there are a lot of neighborhoods in and around Madison that never catch a whiff of those bikes.

The B-Bikes sound like a rip-off to me, but some people are making them work for them.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:I really don't get them. If they are popular, who is using them?

You have to return them to a portal every 30 minutes or pay $5 per half hour. Not very relaxing for a tourist.

Like all "City Bike" programs they're meant for people traveling short distances. Maybe to a meeting. Something that's too far to walk but can easily be made on a bike. They're not really aimed at tourists from my understanding.

The bikes themselves are kinda heavy and not really suited for a day long tour. You might as well rent a better bike if you're a tourist and want to do a longer ride.

Madison is hardly the first or only city with them. The idea works.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe