MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why all the hype about speed limits?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Why all the hype about speed limits?

Postby msnflyer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 am

Read that Voss of Racine had proposed raising the limit, heard another legislator proposing the same on this morning's news. Why now? Are they trying to attach amendments that have nothing to with speed limits?

Most folks don't know the speed limit on the Interstate is 70 mph. WI chose not to change the signage due to cost.

I know Voss was motivated by a Koch PAC but was wondering why all the interest in speed limits was percolating up at this time.

BTW I don't have a problem with 85 mph in W. TX or OK.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Re: Why all the hype about speed limits?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 am

I don't see the point. Cops give you a 10MPH cushion on the interstate meaning 80 isn't going to get you a ticket. Going 85 isn't going to get anyone anywhere much faster, it's going to be far less fuel efficient (most cars are most efficient around 55) and will just lead to more, deadlier accidents.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:32 am

msnflyer wrote:Most folks don't know the speed limit on the Interstate is 70 mph. WI chose not to change the signage due to cost.

I guess that means I'm most folks. Got anything to back that up?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am

msnflyer wrote:Most folks don't know the speed limit on the Interstate is 70 mph. WI chose not to change the signage due to cost.

http://fox6now.com/2013/08/19/state-law ... -to-70mph/

Rep. Paul Tittl (R – Manitowoc) is proposing raising the speed limit on Wisconsin’s rural interstate highways to 70 miles-per-hour. This would include stretches of I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee and stretches of I-43 between Milwaukee and Manitowoc, where the speed limit is currently 65 miles-per-hour.
[...]
Right now, Wisconsin is among 16 states with a maximum speed limit of 65. Some who have studied raising speed limits in other states say there’s always a downside.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:57 am

Well, if Tyler Pavic says it's a good idea, it must be so. Thanks, random quoted person!
Cameron Connors

Postby Broadsheet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 am

I think this is part of the GOP program to brand Wisconsin as the land of the free. The next items will be repeal of the seatbelt law, the smoking ban, the litter law, the billboard law, bag limits, the 21 drinking age, and the age of consent.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03 am

Depending on who is pushing the legislation I'd be tempted to say its about selling gasoline.

My 6 cylinder Dakota is supposed to get 18 mpg on the hwy. In reality its about 14 mpg if I'm going 65 mph -- about 12 mpg if I'm going around 70.

The further down you keep that pedal pressed the more gas you're burning. Someone's making money from it -- and it sure as shit ain't Captain Planet.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14 am

Broadsheet wrote:I think this is part of the GOP program to brand Wisconsin as the land of the free. The next items will be repeal of the seatbelt law, the smoking ban, the litter law, the billboard law, bag limits, the 21 drinking age, and the age of consent.

Unless you want to have non-missionary sex with someone other than your spouse.

That they'll ban. In the name of freedom. Because 'Murica.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am

Henry Vilas wrote:

I guess that means I'm most folks. Got anything to back that up?

Well dang! I had bad info. WI is still 65, even on the Interstate. Guess I should be more careful when I'm commuting at 75.

I'm suspicious of why this is being talked about by multiple legislators. What's in it for them?

Didn't mean to have discussion on lower mpg, worse accidents, etc. Was looking for motive behind the support at this time. Politicians do little unless it benefits them.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am

msnflyer wrote:Well dang! I had bad info. WI is still 65, even on the Interstate. Guess I should be more careful when I'm commuting at 75.

I wouldn't plan any commutes based on it, but it's been my experience 75 isn't going to get a State Trooper's attention unless you are also drivng like a jackass. Or from Illinois.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 am

It would be nice if they followed the lead of other states and had a separate, lower speed limit for trucks. After all, F = ½MV².
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
msnflyer wrote:Well dang! I had bad info. WI is still 65, even on the Interstate. Guess I should be more careful when I'm commuting at 75.

I wouldn't plan any commutes based on it, but it's been my experience 75 isn't going to get a State Trooper's attention unless you are also drivng like a jackass. Or from Illinois.

Or singing a protest song.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am

fennel wrote:It would be nice if they followed the lead of other states and had a separate, lower speed limit for trucks. After all, F = ½MV².

Maybe.

Because trucks, considered as class 7 and 8, are far heavier than other vehicles, they take longer to stop, are less adept at avoiding hazards, and have much more momentum. Therefore, it follows from basic physics that limiting truck speeds could reduce the severity and incidence of truck-related crashes.

However, the research record is mixed. A 1987 study finds that crash involvement significantly increases when trucks drive much slower than passenger vehicles,[52] suggesting that the difference in speed between passenger vehicles and slower trucks could cause crashes that otherwise may not happen. Furthermore, in a review of available research, the Transportation Research Board (part of the United States National Research Council) states "[no] conclusive evidence could be found to support or reject the use of differential speed limits for passenger cars and heavy trucks" (page 11) and "a strong case cannot be made on empirical grounds in support of or in opposition to differential speed limits" (page 109).[53]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limi ... ted_States

Slower truck speed limit = less intense crashes but more of them?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:

Or singing a protest song.

If you're singing a protest song and driving 75 mph in the Rotunda, my guess is it's not the song that you are getting pulled over for.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 am

I suspect that's because they're leaving the right lane. Stay put, I say.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government