MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Four more years!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Four more years!

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:06 pm

When asked if he will run for reelection in 2015, Paul Soglin said yes. Da Mayor will be seventy then. And will (former) Mayor Dave oppose him and give up his plushy job with Isthmus?

Anyone else going to throw a hat in the ring?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Four more years!

Postby Beaver » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I hope we can get someone better and younger than Soglin. Soggy is washed up and should have hung it up years ago.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:35 pm

May be Sue Bauman can run again, if nothing else, she gives one hell of a concession speech.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Mayor Paul Soglin announces he will run for another four-year term. The 68-year-old mayor tells the Wisconsin State Journal he has more work to do: "It's clear it's going to take more than four years to properly redirect the city." He is the first candidate to announce that he will run.

-barf
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm voting for him. At least he won't waste our tax dollars on stupid "quiet zones".
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm voting for him. At least he won't waste our tax dollars on stupid "quiet zones".

Can we have city-sponsored "yelling zones?" Or are those already everywhere?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Former Alder Bridget Maniaci recently moved to Pittsburgh. But now she is considering coming back to Madison and making a run for mayor.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:39 pm

How do you think getting arrested in the Rotunda will play out for Mark Clear?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 am

Soglin's got a longer rap sheet.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 am

Sounds like Alder Mark Clear is getting serious about running for mayor.

I wonder what his campaign slogan will be. Something along the lines of It's a Clear choice would be my guess.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:How do you think getting arrested in the Rotunda will play out for Mark Clear?

Nothing. His voting record, or lack thereof, on topics related to labor or labor supported should matter much more than what amounts to a publicity stunt.
MarcoPolo

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 pm

MarcoPolo wrote:Nothing. His voting record, or lack thereof, on topics related to labor or labor supported should matter much more than what amounts to a publicity stunt.

Do you have any stats on that. I'm not questioning it, I just don't know enough about how he's voted on the issues you're talking about.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
MarcoPolo wrote:Nothing. His voting record, or lack thereof, on topics related to labor or labor supported should matter much more than what amounts to a publicity stunt.

Do you have any stats on that. I'm not questioning it, I just don't know enough about how he's voted on the issues you're talking about.

He will probably win some points with labor on his record with the Overture Center, which likely saved jobs. Conversely, you can point to his recent vote against expanded disclosure for city contractors, which AFSCME endorsed and urged the council to support, as well as his full on support of city funding for a hotel at Judge Doyle Square, which dovetails into budgeting concerns of local labor; continued loss of revenue for the operating budget, either by redirecting it to TIF or increasing debt service cost threatens city jobs, as the most costly portion of the budget is personnel. Naturally if debt service keeps rising (as Clear seems to want by a return to Dave's care free capital budget spending), a reduction in staff is a real issue.
MarcoPolo

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm

MarcoPolo wrote:as well as his full on support of city funding for a hotel at Judge Doyle Square, which dovetails into budgeting concerns of local labor; continued loss of revenue for the operating budget, either by redirecting it to TIF or increasing debt service cost threatens city jobs,

That one's a bit of a stretch to call this some vote on labor. Won't that project actually create local construction jobs. You may say it's short term, but a 2 year steady gig is welcome by most construction workers.

MarcoPolo wrote:as Clear seems to want by a return to Dave's care free capital budget spending

Methinks someone doesn't like Clear because of his alliance with Mayor Dave.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Is Mayor Dave looking for a rematch? If I ever run into him I will apologize for my vote for Soglin in the last election. That was a mistake and I'm sorry.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government