MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What to do in madison

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

best time to visit madison

Poll ended at Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:13 am

Fall
3
15%
Spring
2
10%
Summer
15
75%
 
Total votes : 20

What to do in madison

Postby naked pagan » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:13 am

We are planning to visit Madison during the first part of November, and we were wondering what there is to do and see this time of year.

Each season in Madison has its own flavor, but I have found the fall to be the best. State street is usaully more alive with the new academic year, and it being so close to a National election, I expect all manner of political activism.

We tend to be more intellecutal in our intrests, and liberal in our philosphy. Art and history keep us fasinated, as well as any social or community events that we can attend.

So, what is going on this time of year...besides football?
naked pagan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Postby purplepenquin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:39 am

LOL--I agree with your choice of leaving "winter" out of the answers. I've learned to put-up with winter, but I don't likes it....

I would suggest going out to the country and checking out a corn maze, but I'm not sure if that would qualify as "intellecutal" or not.
purplepenquin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:21 pm

It will depend on if you get a rare warm day in November. Too bad you couldn't be here for Fall color. See the lakes from Memorial Union and Monona Terrace. At least speed-walk through Overture. (I only lingered at a couple paintings.) I went out of my way today, to catch a quick glimpse of the latest Lee Weiss paintings at Fanny Garver. Stroll Williamson St. if you can and catch Art Beat Gallery. I won't recommend new eateries if you're just visiting, eat at real Madison places. Isthmus and Madison.com must have social calenders for your viewing. Visit the Unitarians. Depending on the elections, there will be rejoicing or moaning and gnashing of teeth and crying in the beer. Make it a good beer.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby naked pagan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:46 am

purplepengin wrote:I agree with your choice of leaving "winter" out of the answers.

The poll only gave 3 options, so I had to guess that winter kind of sucked. I suspect you get a lot of lake effect snow, but there COULD be some sort of winter fest going on

Bwis53 wrote:Too bad you couldn't be here for Fall color. See the lakes from Memorial Union and Monona Terrace.

Definately, this was a given. Since we are Unitarians, we were definatly going to a UU service if it was possible.

eat at real Madison places. Isthmus and Madison.com

My brother drives cab there, so I'm sure he knows where they all are

Depending on the elections, there will be rejoicing or moaning and gnashing of teeth and crying in the beer.

Damn, IM going to be there after the elections. In 1984, I made it to hear the Democratic canadiates speak on the capital steps, and in '88, I watched the Bush debates at some of the Willy St hangouts...looks like IM going to be a day late and a dollar short on this one.

We have also developed an odd fasination with cemetaries...are there any nice ones in the area? We perfer the older ones, with lots of marble and art work, were the citys older familys are resting..where would we find this?
naked pagan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Postby crêpes suzettes » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:37 am

naked pagan wrote:
purplepengin wrote:I agree with your choice of leaving "winter" out of the answers.

The poll only gave 3 options, so I had to guess that winter kind of sucked. I suspect you get a lot of lake effect snow, but there COULD be some sort of winter fest going on


We do not get lake effect snow here; that's reserved for those who live by the Great Lakes.

In fact, the past couple winters have seen unimpressive snowfall.
crêpes suzettes
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 pm

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:04 pm

naked pagan wrote:We have also developed an odd fasination with cemetaries...are there any nice ones in the area? We perfer the older ones, with lots of marble and art work, were the citys older familys are resting..where would we find this?


Resurrection Cemetary (Catholic) and Forest Hill Cemetery (non-denominational) are both on the near west side of the city. This is also near the University Heights neighborhood, which contains many architectural gems. Also close by is the UU House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The two cemeteries are across Speedway from each other. A very pleasant walk or bike ride if the weather is nice. Many famous local names, and even some nationally prominent graves. Robert "Fighting Bob LaFollete, Chris Farley, Sally Hemming's son by Thomas Jefferson (I think), a large Confederate soliders' area, etc.

Anyone who has traveled the streets and halls of Madison will recognize the family names on many graves. Forest Hill also served as a park when it was built, so it is quite a nice spot.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1694
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:33 am

Postby naked pagan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:41 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Resurrection Cemetary (Catholic) and Forest Hill Cemetery (non-denominational) are both on the near west side of the city. This is also near the University Heights neighborhood, which contains many architectural gems. Also close by is the UU House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.


Okay,these sound like definte must see spots, so they are certainly on our list.

My life companion is a vegetarian...any good vegetarian or vegan friendly places to eat?
naked pagan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Postby blunt » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:11 pm

Today is perfect.
Wish you were here.

There's nothing like the beginning of the summer thaw---no real spring, just a pungent soft blanket of dead fish stench settling over the isthmus like ether quilt.
Though the mid summer filled with cute fleshbuckets walking and drunk girls running and glistening shimmering lakes squeezing us all gently between their scintillating arms is nice, too.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby Mikey K » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:47 am

naked pagan wrote:I suspect you get a lot of lake effect snow,


Not at all. Lakes are too small. You need a 'Great Lake' for any true lake effect snow.
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Waaaaaay up north.

Postby Paco » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:18 am

There's a Unitarian church near Magic Mill on University, FLWright designed it. I went there once, they were singing 'Let It Be' and some other 'pop'-y songs during their 'mass'. Raised Catholic, it was very different.

the first saturday in Nov is usually the last Farmers market, usually the best because the crowds, wagons, strollers don't make it out and the veggies are plentiful.

Grab a beer or ice cream cone on the Terrace, assuming it's a warm sunny day.

seems like we have a painfullly short list of things to do in Madison. :?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby naked pagan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:10 am

Paco wrote:the first saturday in Nov is usually the last Farmers market, usually the best because the crowds, wagons, strollers don't make it out and the veggies are plentiful.


And I have to miss all the good stuff too!...we cant leave for Madison until after the election because, well, we are not registiered to vote in Dane Co

I was still hoping for some politically orientated activity...is anyone planning a peace demonstration or maybe storming the library?
naked pagan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Postby naked pagan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:15 am

blunt wrote:Though the mid summer filled with cute fleshbuckets walking and drunk girls running ...


Okay, I didnt want to go here, but since you brought up the subject...

We wouldnt mind watching nymphs frolicking across the countryside, and perchance meeting one or two. As I recall, this is one of the more enjoyable cultural activities in your fair city...any suggestions where we can guiltlessly endulge in this behavior?
naked pagan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:09 pm

naked pagan wrote:
blunt wrote:Though the mid summer filled with cute fleshbuckets walking and drunk girls running ...


Okay, I didnt want to go here, but since you brought up the subject...

We wouldnt mind watching nymphs frolicking across the countryside, and perchance meeting one or two. As I recall, this is one of the more enjoyable cultural activities in your fair city...any suggestions where we can guiltlessly endulge in this behavior?


State Street, The Terrace, or Majestic on Fridays.
Stack up two and they're legal.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby Paco » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:24 pm

naked pagan wrote:And I have to miss all the good stuff too!...we cant leave for Madison until after the election because, well, we are not registiered to vote in Dane Co

I was still hoping for some politically orientated activity...is anyone planning a peace demonstration or maybe storming the library?

Vote absentee!!!!!! Now! Beat the rush! Come here for Russ's party that night-should be good.

there won't be all that much political crap then I bet. Of course maybe George will have invaded Syria or Iran by then and there just might be. Peace demonstrations are pretty lame anyway, a bunch of 50 year olds in birkenstocks and Lands End jackets on their cell phones all the while wondering if they fed enough quarters in the meter so their Subaru Outback doesn't get a ticket. You might want to check this on-line Isthmus site for things coming up.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby Dulouz » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:25 pm

As much as I want Wisconsin to go 'blue', Ohio has many more electoral votes. My plan is either to convince my mom (who is in Toledo) to vote libertarian (which she wants to do) or trade her my vote and double cross her (yes that is how serious I am).

Actually the Viet Nam Vets usually hold a very cool Vetern's Day ceremony at the capitol on 11/11. I hear that it is very pro-soldier/anti-boss-er, I mean "war".

PS: I just realized that my "1,000th post" was about double crossing my mom for politics--special. ;)
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm

Next

Return to Catch All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar