MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
sweet corn sign
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Postby massimo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:38 pm

Well someone sure didn't appreciate TBP's review, and I'm not just talking about ol' Neddly.

BSBnBBQ on teh Facebook wrote:To all our friends that have called or messaged me to voice their disagreement towards the recent Isthmus review: We appreciate your support and thank you for looking past the pointed dribble of a hipster doofus. We all now realize that he is of much higher intellect and standing since he uses words like unprepossessing and amalgam. We also wish him luck on his "aspiring somellier career". We at Blair Street will continue to provide great food at an amazing price, drink beer from a mason jar and talk about football.

I read this comment first and of course rushed over to check out the review, and I have to say, I didn't find much in the review worthy of such a bitter and personal attack. In fact, I felt there is a lot of truth there that BSBnBBQ could use to improve their product.

My experiences with their ribs were about exactly as Kyle describes: oversmoked, dried out, and super salty. It almost tasted as if the ribs had been brined, but could it have been the rub? I don't know, but I shed renewed tears for PPP's rub, I can still taste it. I pour two out for you and your adorable, overworked daughter, Pete.

I liked the pulled pork fine, just fine, but the meat just seemed a little... aged. Of course, when I smoke a butt and some ribs, I can dote over them all day and make sure my temps are right, the meat gets pulled at the right time, and it gets to the table after an optimal rest. Advantage: mine. This doesn't mean that BBQ joints haven't figured out how to get meat to the table in good shape, maybe that just comes with time and experience (and I admittedly have no idea how you do inventory management in a BBQ joint, it's gotta be a serious challenge).

I agree that the sides are goopy. You can see it in the picture that accompanies the review: the beans, tasty as they turned out to be, look like a bowl of refried pintos. The potato salad is creamy to a fault. Goopy doesn't equal awful, but it's not my preference.

I do like the sauces at BSBnBBQ. I like the quirky, inventive menu. The service has always been great. The meat, which is really the only thing that matters, needs work. The FB rant signals to me that they're not willing to consider criticism, but I hope I'm wrong about that. I'm really rooting for them, because more BBQ in town is a good thing, and more good BBQ is even better.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 am

Good Lord, if BSBnBBQ blew a gasket over Kyle's review, I wouldn't want to be near him when he sees Brian Grandt's comment:

As someone who travels the country seeking out great BBQ and having been to most of the great places this country has to offer, I have to say this is not BBQ. It is simply terrible. I have now tried many different things on the menu and non of them resemble anything that could be considered good tasting BBQ. It starts with the menu offerings (its a sandwich shop not a BBQ restaurant) and ends with the worst sauce I have ever tasted. The brisket resembled a piece of charcoal of bread and I wasn't sure if it was rancid, or not. This is not BBQ. I was so excited to see BBQ at this location and it thouroughly disappoints. Hire a pitmaster before its to late.

Ouch.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ericj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 am

i'd like them to succeed but i think it is a bit damning of the management to respond to a negative review like that. A restaurateur who knows what they are doing would take the criticism and work to fix the issues, not respond to a mediocre review with name calling on facebook. The isthmus review wasn't even that bad. eatdrinkmadison.com had a pretty scathing review back in march with a lot of the same criticisms the isthmus had, which shows they are not addressing things they may need to work on. They do seem to be struggling but if they can fix what needs fixing they may have a chance...although that location is historically terrible for restaurants...
ericj

Postby massimo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 am

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on the eatdrinkmadison review. Seems I'm not the only one who didn't like the salty rub and found the "refried beans" to be tasty nevertheless.

Yeah, that location. What is it about that spot? The ambiguous parking situation? Pedestrian unfriendliness? A bit too far out of the downtown and campus core? A bit too far from the east side neighborhoods? Anyone driving by that corner is on their way from somewhere else to somewhere else.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm

BSBnBBQ on teh Facebook wrote:To all our friends that have called or messaged me to voice their disagreement towards the recent Isthmus review: We appreciate your support and thank you for looking past the pointed dribble of a hipster doofus. We all now realize that he is of much higher intellect and standing since he uses words like unprepossessing and amalgam. We also wish him luck on his "aspiring somellier career". We at Blair Street will continue to provide great food at an amazing price, drink beer from a mason jar and talk about football.

It's spelled 'sommelier.'
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:36 pm

I hope they really do continue to drink beer from mason jars and talk about football, because that's exactly what I look for in a great BBQ restaurant is that they do those two things and do them very well.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby baked goods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I hate that place. It sucks.
baked goods

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:

And I'm pretty sure they meant "drivel", not "dribble".
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LindsayNicole » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Gosh, Kyle, I didn't even know you were into wine! Huh.

I think of that spot as a restaurant graveyard. Like T. Sushi/CHI Asian or Kickshaw/Jimmy's American Tavern. Lazy Oaf Lounge used to be one too, I think.

I was bemused by the response too, but can't say it hasn't happened to me a few times. I also can't say I'm going to rush out to try the few things you did like, because if anything it sounds inconsistent.
LindsayNicole

Postby mifflander » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:46 pm

LindsayNicole wrote:Gosh, Kyle, I didn't even know you were into wine! Huh.

I think of that spot as a restaurant graveyard. Like T. Sushi/CHI Asian or Kickshaw/Jimmy's American Tavern. Lazy Oaf Lounge used to be one too, I think.

I was bemused by the response too, but can't say it hasn't happened to me a few times. I also can't say I'm going to rush out to try the few things you did like, because if anything it sounds inconsistent.

The only place that seemed to last there was Pizza Extreme since it was pretty much delivery/take out only.

Maybe the Constellation across the street will help with more foot traffic.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

gargantua wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
BSBnBBQ on teh Facebook wrote:To all our friends that have called or messaged me to voice their disagreement towards the recent Isthmus review: We appreciate your support and thank you for looking past the pointed dribble of a hipster doofus.

And I'm pretty sure they meant "drivel", not "dribble".

Or did he mean the dribble of a hoopster doofus?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 pm

What a bunch of whiny, crying babies. The Isthmus review had tons of praise and what negativity it had was framed in encouragement. That was NOT a bad review.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:57 pm

While I've barked at TBP many times here, I've never found fault with any of his reviews. I'm also shocked at the business's response. As a restaurant owner here in Madison, there is no excuse for that response, unless you know cash will rain from the skies because of your skill, hard work, and your customers love....good luck buddy, dumber folks have succeeded before, and in shittier locations (although I passed over repeated requests to open there)...
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:What a bunch of whiny, crying babies. The Isthmus review had tons of praise and what negativity it had was framed in encouragement. That was NOT a bad review.

True. THIS is a bad review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 pm

For what it's worth, looks like they pulled the post (I'm assuming it was that one, I can't see it on their wall anymore).
BSBnBBQ on FB wrote:Well, that was spirited...we had to take down an earlier post because of heated emotions (swear words!?!;)...

I didn't see the blow up, but I'm interested to know what happened there.

I've been inspired to fire up the smoker for Labor day because of all this BBQ talk, huzzah!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews