MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 pm

I seriously hope this is not a private fight.
Some observations:
The GOP has, collectively, gone down a rabbit hole of craziness.
The other half of our duopoly seems to be on their heels.

My questions are:
Why do you think this is?
Do you feel cared for?
Are you OK with losing the benefits of a self governed republic?
In the absence of the notion of self governance,
can one expect the option of caring for one’s self and others?

Looking for the 'nearest ledge',
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I seriously hope this is not a private fight.
Some observations:
The GOP has, collectively, gone down a rabbit hole of craziness.
The other half of our duopoly seems to be on their heels.

My questions are:
Why do you think this is?
Do you feel cared for?
Are you OK with losing the benefits of a self governed republic?
In the absence of the notion of self governance,
can one expect the option of caring for one’s self and others?

Looking for the 'nearest ledge',
MH

Not a fight at all, at least on my part. Just looking for some clarification.

I think both major parties have gone a bit round the bend, though the GOP more noticeably and malignantly so. Neither side seems to have any interest working to find common ground, and those few that do are attacked by both sides.

While if find the rights invasion into the sexual and reproductive lives to be repugnant, I think Obama's support for the government's invasion into the rest of our lives is far more dangerous long term.

I don't think either party (or the groups supporting them) are interested in the common good. Whether they admit it or not, they are seeking power to have power, not to improve the plight of the people they are supposed to serve. Unfortunately I don't think real change will come until supporters of either party stop pretending that the other party is the whole of the problem.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I think both major parties have gone a bit round the bend, though the GOP more noticeably and malignantly so. Neither side seems to have any interest working to find common ground, and those few that do are attacked by both sides.
I don't think either party (or the groups supporting them) are interested in the common good. Whether they admit it or not, they are seeking power to have power, not to improve the plight of the people they are supposed to serve. Unfortunately I don't think real change will come until supporters of either party stop pretending that the other party is the whole of the problem.

-Amen

Thnx
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:02 pm

http://gawker.com/gop-lawmaker-ties-hig ... t=My+Yahoo

Just gonna leave this here.

Neither side seems to have any interest working to find common ground, and those few that do are attacked by both sides.

Bullshit. Democrats have negotiated themselves straight into GOP policy over and over again. GOP can't take yes for an answer. Biggest proof that your statement is false: Hastert Rule.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:17 pm

"Since May, there's been a group of senators and about 10 or 12 House members, we've been meeting once a week trying to figure out what's the strategy (to remedy the nation's current financial and healthcare woes) and (Senator) Mike Lee took the lead on the strategy, and the strategy is to fund every part of government including some things some of us don’t care to fund and completely defund Obamacare," he said, as reported by the Marshall News Messenger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 95205.html

These people are fucking obsessed. The reason they can't remedy the financial welfare of the US is because they're fucking loony toons.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:18 pm

fisticuffs wrote:http://gawker.com/gop-lawmaker-ties-higher-poverty-rates-among-blacks-to-1184143466?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gawker%2Ffull+%28Gawker%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Just gonna leave this here.

Neither side seems to have any interest working to find common ground, and those few that do are attacked by both sides.

Bullshit. Democrats have negotiated themselves straight into GOP policy over and over again. GOP can't take yes for an answer. Biggest proof that your statement is false: Hastert Rule.

I pains me to recognise the fact that the first steps on the road to recovery are to recognize that both sides of our duopoly have problems.
Ya know, the really big ones no one talks about but REALLY lead to horrid and immense consequences-
'Democrats' like Rahm Emanuel
NAFTA
Whatever in 2005 That kicked NAFTA up painfully
The transpacific partnership (TPP) subterfuge that is currently moving swiftly along, but you hear virtually nothing about it.
Whatever other subterfuge you do not hear reported on now, but you surely will 10-15 years down the road when folks start to feel the pain.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 am

Mad Howler wrote:I pains me to recognise the fact that the first steps on the road to recovery are to recognize that both sides of our duopoly have problems.
Ya know, the really big ones no one talks about but REALLY lead to horrid and immense consequences-
NAFTA
The transpacific partnership (TPP) subterfuge that is currently moving swiftly along, but you hear virtually nothing about it.
Whatever other subterfuge you do not hear reported on now, but you surely will 10-15 years down the road when folks start to feel the pain.

Any other incredibly vague and mostly old and irrelevant information you need to appeal to in order to bolster your streeeeeeeeetch for false equivalency?

The first step toward recovery for our great nation is to understand that half of us are not working for this great nation. The other half of us are progressive.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 am

Mad Howler wrote:I pains me to recognise the fact that the first steps on the road to recovery are to recognize that both sides of our duopoly have problems.
NAFTA

In other words, we have one party that is very conservative, and another party that is batshit crazy extremist conservative.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:59 pm

DCB wrote:In other words, we have one party that is very conservative, and another party that is batshit crazy extremist conservative.

I recognise that we have much deeper problems.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/bra ... _20130821/
While this recognition makes me sad,
I am compelled to say something about deeper issues rather than comparing 'coke and pepsi'.
Some have said this recognition equates to scaremongering,
I disagree - these realities are terrifying.
I might even suggest they are - terroristic.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

wack wack wrote:If you thought GOP slime couldn't ooze any lower, think again:

GOP congressman invites controversial Obama-mask rodeo clown to perform in Texas

I'm a little late to the party on this story. But I saw some video of the infamous rodeo clown.

This story is a giant nuthin burger. The clown was not racist. The masks of Ronald Reagan were also hideous. I'm sure Obama haters laughed more at the clown, but this is just typical American culture, presidents have always been satirized in unflattering manner.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Huckleby wrote:presidents have always been satirized in unflattering manner.

Satirized? No other President in my lifetime has faced the extremely ugly and pervasive disrespect that the current President faces.

The rodeo clown wasn't really the point of my link. I suppose a clown was the point of my link, but not the rodeo clown.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm

wack wack wrote: Satirized? No other President in my lifetime has faced the extremely ugly and pervasive disrespect that the current President faces.

Listen here, sonny. You should have seen the disrespect shown to Dick Nixon.

Forget Nixon, why I remember what they did to Lincoln, the most cruelly mocked president in history:

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:04 am

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 am

Several Republican-led states at the forefront of the campaign to undermine President Obama’s health-care law have come up with new ways to try to thwart it, refusing to enforce consumer protections, for example, and restricting federally funded workers hired to help people enroll in coverage.

And in at least one state, Missouri, local officials have been barred from doing anything to help put the law into place.

More examples of GOP obstructionism here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government