MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:Footage and some hard-to-hear interviews from today's session is here:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... f887a.html

Why do you suppose the Madison Fire Chief and Dane County Sheriff came to today's sing-a-long? Is that normal? Do you suppose it's possible that their presence was meant to perhaps intimidate the Capitol Police, kind of in a "your peers are watching you" kind of way?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:21 pm

i hope so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Maybe not quite.

"As a police officer, I saw what they were doing as being unconstitutional," said [Madison] Officer David Dexheimer. "It is aggressive policing that is ineffective to their goal and I believe these arrests are politically motivated and furthering an agenda that police shouldn't have to take part in."

Officer Brian Austin said the Capitol officers lost collective bargaining rights under Act 10 and have no recourse to show concern about the actions they're carrying out.

"I know there are officers who are absolutely sickened by what they have to do here when they show up to work every day and yet they still have to do it or their jobs are at risk," said Austin. "The DOA is putting these officers in a volatile situation, as we saw yesterday, and I am worried it is only a matter of time before a flash point occurs."

http://www.channel3000.com/news/offduty ... index.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Dale Schultz thinks Walker is using the SS for a deliberate distraction:

Well there's this theory:
http://www.waukeshawonk.com/2013/07/29/is-gov-walker-using-the-solidarity-singers-as-a-diversion/

Hundreds of pages of John Doe documents were released around the same time they started arresting singers. I skimmed through them- they aren't especially damning, though. Pretty much just makes Scott Walker look like a huge douchebag, and that was never really a secret anyway.

I agree, a lot of boring email and yes it illustrates what a douche bag SKW is and all those who have his back. No concern about the loss of life when a parking structure is not properly maintained but a lot of rats scrambling to protect their grip on the public view and their own power.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:47 pm

pjbogart wrote:After seeing the video last night I went down to the sing-a-long for the first time ever. No one was arrested except for a few signs that said "duck" and "goose". Not sure what that was all about.

Think back to Kindergarten. All the kids lined up in a circle and one kid walks around the perimeter tapping each person with "duck" "duck" and when you get called "goose" you are chosen. In this case, by the Capitol Police for arrest.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

snoqueen wrote:During the big demonstrations the previous chief, Chief Tubbs, was out there every day for hours and hours not only leading his officers but talking to individuals and helping broker various agreements that protected people's right to assemble while maintaining a safe environment. He did a great job and is possibly the single biggest reason the activity stayed calm enough for even very little kids to attend, while few people (regardless of political leanings) were arrested.

Whatever you think of Chief Erwin, it's fair to say he is not following this model.

In fact, when my out-of-state family expressed concern for me attending the massive 2011 protests they mentioned the "violence" at these events. I told them to stop listening only to Fox News. The protests are peaceful and not only are the police keeping the peace they participate, as do local firefighters, in the protests while off work. I was amazed hearing the crowd around me chant "thank you" to police and firefighers. Then I pointed out that the "violent" episodes FN was broadcasting showed protests with participants wearing t-shirts with palm trees in the background. I gently reminded them that palm trees nor t-shirts are possible outdoors in February in Wisconsin.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 am

I never thought the protests were violent, but at times I would not have characterized them as peaceful either. And it depends on your point of view doesn't it? I will gently remind you there were no palm trees in the background when Glenn Grothmann was surrounded by the heated up crowd chanting "Shame". About halfway through that video a woman says "don't touch him! Don't touch him!" Gee, I wonder why she had to say that?

If those were tea partiers I doubt your characterization would be the same.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 am

bdog wrote:I never thought the protests were violent, but at times I would not have characterized them as peaceful either.

Equivocate much?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 am

bdog wrote:If those were tea partiers I doubt your characterization would be the same.

You're right, bdog, but then again the Teapers bring the violence with them. Perhaps by singing threatening songs about their guns?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government