MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dem. Mark Harris Retreats from Running for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Dem. Mark Harris Retreats from Running for Governor

Postby molneck » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Mark Harris' retreat from entering the gubernatorial race is a loss for Wisconsin's public, and, perhaps, even for the Democratic Party's chances of victory in 2014. A vigorous primary would allow us to find out who has the best ideas, and who connects best with voters across the state. Instead, we are one step closer to an unproven, inexperienced candidate, who enjoys the support of Democratic party officials, wealthy donors, and has a fortune of her own upon which to draw for funds. This is NOT what democracy looks like! I encourage all who are distressed by this (sadly predictable) turn of events, to support "Wisconsinites for an Open and Fair Primary, Based on Ideas, Not on Money." https://www.facebook.com/groups/183754741807081/. Also visit jebrown.org/fairprimary.
molneck

Re: Dem. Mark Harris Retreats from Running for Governor

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:46 pm

"Based on ideas not money"

Is the idea of Mary Burke supporting Madison Prep what has you concerned?

Mary Burke should be the wet dream of both parties. I think R's will leave her be and D's will try to tear her down.

You need to understand: she can win, and is a far better alternative than running a Kathleen Falk up the flagpole, only to burn in flames.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Have noticed a small group of zealous, self-proclaimed progressives actively trying to destroy her candidacy. Me, I think she's the strongest candidate Dems could have. In fact, I was touting her candidacy long before Mike Tate came to that same conclusion.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Have noticed a small group of zealous, self-proclaimed progressives actively trying to destroy her candidacy. Me, I think she's the strongest candidate Dems could have. In fact, I was touting her candidacy long before Mike Tate came to that same conclusion.

Of course she's the strongest candidate. Progressives need to realize this is the current reality: you need to put ideaology aside and get an electable candidate.

Throw the Henry Vilas's and the Rabbles under the bus and look for victories in the long term.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:52 pm

bdog wrote:Of course she's the strongest candidate. Progressives need to realize this is the current reality: you need to put ideaology aside and get an electable candidate.

Throw the Henry Vilas's and the Rabbles under the bus and look for victories in the long term.

Exactly! Just like how the Democrats won when they held their noses and went for the supposedly electable candidate John Kerry! Or when the Republicans held their noses and went for the supposedly electable candidate Mitt Romney!

For local examples, think of when Democrats held their noses and voted for Tom Barrett. Or when Democrats held their noses again and voted for Tom Barrett again.

A winning candidate needs to be able to fire up the base, they need to offer them something other than "at least they aren't this person!" They also need to be able to reach part of that gooey center. In successful Democratic races, they've mobilized the base so they can go out and spread the message that appeals to the less-active voter. I think Baldwin's "Tommy: Not for you anymore" was a great example of that.

Mary Burke may still be a candidate that can do both but the "Grin and Barrett" strategy isn't the right prescription.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 am

OK, who ya got? Gimme a name.

Vinehout or Barca? Both up for re-election, unlikely to give up their seats. Also, Vinehout finished weak third in recall primary.
Kind? Running against RoJo in 2016.
Feingold? Stomped by RoJo in 2010, now in diplomatic post.
Taylor? Waiting to walk into Risser's seat when he retires.
Harris? Just said no.

So...?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 am

bdog wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Have noticed a small group of zealous, self-proclaimed progressives actively trying to destroy her candidacy. Me, I think she's the strongest candidate Dems could have. In fact, I was touting her candidacy long before Mike Tate came to that same conclusion.

Of course she's the strongest candidate. Progressives need to realize this is the current reality: you need to put ideaology aside and get an electable candidate.

I also touted Burke's candidacy on this forum a long time ago. But that doesn't jibe with your preconceived notions. Go troll somewhere else.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 am

I take it back, Henry. You said you like her.

I assume the teachers union will oppose her again like they did in the school board election. Where will your loyalties lie then?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:26 am

Where do your loyalties lie? You offer nothing positive. Maybe because it's hard to say positive things about Walker and his ilk.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:52 am

A good primary would:

1) introduce all the candidates to the people of the state, giving crossover voters more time to get to know them and Democratic regulars a chance to talk them up among their friends.

2) Give the candidates time to sharpen their messages, their debating techniques, their outreach techniques.

3) Give the candidates time to make the inevitable mistakes that happen in all campaigns, possibly getting most of 'em out of the way early enough that recovery and repair can take place.

I think anybody who's against a primary is afraid the party will run out of money. Maybe that's a real concern -- but it shouldn't be the driver behind this decision. If we get a good strong seasoned candidate, there's more time to pull in money. It's nice Mary Burke has her own money, but she can't be expected to run the whole show -- to do so is an early admission of failure on an important front.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Where do your loyalties lie? You offer nothing positive. Maybe because it's hard to say positive things about Walker and his ilk.

My loyalties lie with whoever I think has the best chance of moving the State forward. I think Mary Burke could be that person. Apparently you do too. Will be interesting to see what happens when the unions start attacking her.

I'm glad Walker did what he did but I hope he doesn't run again.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:01 pm

bdog wrote:I'm glad Walker did what he did but I hope he doesn't run again.

What did Walker do that you like that you don't want him doing anymore?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:I'm glad Walker did what he did but I hope he doesn't run again.

What did Walker do that you like that you don't want him doing anymore?

Act10. 2nd part of the question doesn't make any sense.

Why don't I want him to run? Because the State will be divided until he's out. We're all better off if someone else moves in to take advantage of the work Walker did. No one will care about Act10 anymore, they will just be glad our governor is "not Scott Walker".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government