MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Savage Love

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Savage Love

Postby The Rube » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Now that the Onion is no more in print, how about a rally for The Isthmus to pick up "Savage Love" by Dan Savage?
The Rube

Re: Savage Love

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Woot-Woot!!
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:47 pm

You appear to have access to the internets, so why not just bookmark this?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah, as much as I love Savage Love, I can get it elsewhere. Locally-produced content is increasingly rare and precious, adding Savage Love to Isthmus would take away valuable space from others. I'll stick to reading Savage Love on my phone even if I'll miss having it in print.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby The Rube » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am

Because I can't bring my desktop into the crapper? Seriously, print is good for some things. Savage Love is far better than the pointless "advice" column that's near the back page now. Free and local doesn't mean good.
The Rube

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

massimo wrote:You appear to have access to the internets, so why not just bookmark this?

Thanks! I just bookmarked it into my "Entertainment" folder!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Don't hold your breath. They discontinued The Straight Dope a few years ago, likely due to syndication fees and tight budgets. I can't imagine they'd consider reversing course for Savage Love.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:38 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Don't hold your breath. They discontinued The Straight Dope a few years ago, likely due to syndication fees and tight budgets. I can't imagine they'd consider reversing course for Savage Love.

I'd like to think they discontinued The Straight Dope because it simply wasn't any good anymore. I recently re-read some of my old Dope books and was reminded just how funny and insightful it once was but the last few years it was running in Isthmus, it seemed like Cecil's heart wasn't in it anymore -- he seemed more likely to just accept an answer someone on the Web gave rather than actually do any research, and his wit was considerably duller than in his glory days.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Because I can't bring my desktop into the crapper?

You are a candidate for a nice little tablet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Don't hold your breath. They discontinued The Straight Dope a few years ago, likely due to syndication fees and tight budgets. I can't imagine they'd consider reversing course for Savage Love.

I'd like to think they discontinued The Straight Dope because it simply wasn't any good anymore. I recently re-read some of my old Dope books and was reminded just how funny and insightful it once was but the last few years it was running in Isthmus, it seemed like Cecil's heart wasn't in it anymore -- he seemed more likely to just accept an answer someone on the Web gave rather than actually do any research, and his wit was considerably duller than in his glory days.

Hm, I don't know, I still enjoy it. Thankfully, like Savage Love, it is available online (and you can get it delivered via email every Friday).

http://www.straightdope.com/
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 pm

The Isthmus columnist is so bad, I long for reruns of Ursula Understands or Dan Savage. I vaguely recall that Ursula is deceased. Our loss. She was 10 times more interesting than our current advice columnist. Isn't their another a smart writer out there who could manage this area?
grumpybear

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 pm

grumpybear wrote: Isn't their another a smart writer out there who could manage this area?

Maybe Blunt could come back. Marvel might be interesting. So would Mean Scenester.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Rube » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 am

snoqueen wrote:
Because I can't bring my desktop into the crapper?

You are a candidate for a nice little tablet.

Would love one, where are they giving them away? ; ) One is on the list of discretionary income purchases, hopefully within the year. But, I must admit, there is a part of me that abhors the idea of conceding to technology. On the other hand, I'm tired of helping the grandparents with their VCR. So, maybe I best look at it as an evolution instead of a concession?
The Rube

Postby The Rube » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Hm, I don't know, I still enjoy it. Thankfully, like Savage Love, it is available online (and you can get it delivered via email every Friday).

http://www.straightdope.com/

I think you're right, the web killed Straight Dope. It was a gem when anecdotal information wasn't readily available. Not that the facts were the entirety of the content, but part of the draw was "what kind of weirdness does Cecil have in store for me this week?"
The Rube

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:03 am

The Rube wrote:I think you're right, the web killed Straight Dope. It was a gem when anecdotal information wasn't readily available. Not that the facts were the entirety of the content, but part of the draw was "what kind of weirdness does Cecil have in store for me this week?"

On the plus side, the entirety of his work is now easily searchable. It can be almost as much of a rabbit-hole-time-sink as youtube.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com