MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Microwave ovens are harmful

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Microwave ovens are harmful

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 pm

I've read other articles to this affect. Don't know if it's true but I try to avoid using my microwave as much as I can.

Are You Using This Appliance Found in 90% of American Homes That Was Banned By Russians?
http://diet-sage.com/health-news/are-yo ... y-russians

"There is a harmful cooking device found in 90% of the kitchens across the United States and other parts of the world. People are using this device in order to cook, defrost, or reheat their food each day. The microwave oven sitting on the counter in so many homes may be posing dangerous risks to people’s health...
Due to the radiation from the microwave, the food no longer has the same structure and consequently does not offer the same value to one’s body when eaten. Microwaved food is denatured food which becomes carcinogenic in the body when consumed by people. Microwaving also decreases the body’s ability to use the vitamins and minerals left in the food. Yet, after being cooked in a microwave, there are almost no nutrients left in the food and it is close to the point of decay."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Microwave ovens are harmful

Postby Sandi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm

The only thing I use my microwave for is to nuke about 3 cups of coffee a day, so I guess I won't worry about it.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Beaver wrote: Are You Using This Appliance Found in 90% of American Homes That Was Banned By Russians?

Really? Then explain why Russia produces microwave ovens.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Beaver wrote:I've read other articles to this affect. Don't know if it's true but I try to avoid using my microwave as much as I can.

Doesn't sound true to me.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:45 pm

The "radiation" produced by microwave ovens is a non-ionizing type of radiation. Unlike gamma rays or alpha rays, it doesn't alter the structure of matter except by heating it.

That said, it's murder to bread,
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Beaver wrote: Microwaved food is denatured food which becomes carcinogenic in the body when consumed by people.

I'm not a biochemist, but I know enough about chemistry to say that this is pure BS. Cooking food by any means involves denaturing the proteins in it, and that in no way makes it inherently carcinogenic.

The most common example of a denatured protein in cooking is an egg white. A cooked egg white that has become solid is the denatured form of the protein.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:58 pm

OK sounds like my original post may be a bad article. Does this one sound better?

http://www.healthtalkbuzz.com/2010/08/i ... ealth.html

"Our food are not the cause of health hazards in using microwave ovens. It is the quality of containers that really matters. Plastic made containers are more prone to the effect of "Migration". It means that the material compounds found in the plastic are more likely to migrate to foods which are very dangerous to our health. To avoid this effect, make sure to use oven friendly containers when heating foods to microwave. HealthTalkBuzz recommends the following to avoid possible health risk when using microwave.

-Avoid direct contact with the microwave's heat
-Use only microwave-safe utensils
-Glass containers are more safe than plastic containers
-Do not reheat your food for long period of time

In addition, contrary to the reports that a significant loss of vitamins and minerals from microwaved heat foods are not true. Microwave cooking is preferable to boiling so as to minimize possible leaching of vitamins into the cooking water. It also enhances mineral retention in vegetables.

Furthermore, protein in foods cooked in a microwave are more higher than cooked conventionally. Microwave is a great invention and a very helpful tool when it comes to food preparations. The best thing is to avoid too much exposure to microwave radiation, and you will be perfectly fine. I hope you learn a lot about microwave and its effects to our health."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 pm

So your position has changed from microwave ovens are deadly to Hints from Heloise.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 am

Beaver, instead of searching for "articles" that confirm your suspicions, how about you search through reputable, peer-reviewed literature to find out what the broader consensus actually is? A thing called Health Talk Buzz and some Wordpress blog are your two most recent assertions of fact. If I was a teacher, I'd encourage you to use better sources.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:If I was a teacher, I'd encourage you to use better sources.

If you were a teacher, I'd encourage you to use the subjunctive.

Most anyone interested in alternative health and medicine has thrown out their microwaves decades ago. While not proven "harmful," the consensus is that they decrease nutritional content.
Other forms of cooking have similar effects.
When food is boiled, many nutrients are lost into the water, so steaming is considered better.
Making soup is also good, since you consume the water.
The most nutritious way to eat is raw.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Dairylander wrote:...alternative health...

Wouldn't that just be sickness?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Dairylander wrote:The most nutritious way to eat is raw.

Except in cases when (light) cooking is advantageous, such as carrots, tomatoes and spinach.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Beaver, instead of searching for "articles" that confirm your suspicions, how about you search through reputable, peer-reviewed literature to find out what the broader consensus actually is? A thing called Health Talk Buzz and some Wordpress blog are your two most recent assertions of fact. If I was a teacher, I'd encourage you to use better sources.

I wasn't searching for articles that confirm my suspicions. The "microwaves is bad" idea I've seen on many sites the last couple years so thought I'd try asking about here.

I wouldn't know what reputable, peer-reviewed literature to check. I never heard of Health Talk Buzz and Wordpress so have no idea if they are reputable. I will check them out when I can.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jorgea » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 pm

I try to avoid the radiation from microwave cooking
jorgea

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

jorgea wrote:I try to avoid the radiation from microwave cooking

Do you wear a lead apron like when you get your teeth x-rayed at the dental office?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues