MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

Postby Huckleby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I think this is a near-westside, entitled yuppie phenomena, but not sure. People who live on streets without sidewalks are putting their own yellow cones on the edge of their lawn, with the implication that you can't park there. Violators get nasty notes on their windshield.

The justification is that since they don't have a sidewalk, they want to keep the parking lane clear so they can walk on it. Now, it's my understanding that neighborhoods with sidewalks have to pay a property tax surcharge for sidewalk maintenance. If they want a sidewalk, get together and have one built, pay the piper.

To me this is nuts. The city sets parking rules. Nobody has a right to eliminate side-street parking on a selfish, vigilante basis.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 pm

That's just ridiculous and I kind of want to punch those people in their collective face.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Where exactly are these coneheads?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Huckleby wrote:I think this is a near-westside, entitled yuppie phenomena, but not sure. People who live on streets without sidewalks are putting their own yellow cones on the edge of their lawn, with the implication that you can't park there. Violators get nasty notes on their windshield.
To me this is nuts. The city sets parking rules. Nobody has a right to eliminate side-street parking on a selfish, vigilante basis.
I haven't seen this particular phenomenon, but I have seen folks in our neighborhood who either pave over or carve out a section of the street terrace for their personal use. Sometimes there is a sidewalk, sometimes not. When I informed the City via the usual "have-a-problem" web site, they were fairly responsive at first.

But then I was vaguely informed that there were vague reasons that City parking regulations are not enforced in certain districts. When I followed up to ask for documentation, I was referred to [really!] the Engineering department. When I visited those folks in person, they were (as expected) completely baffled by the idea that they would enforce parking regulations, though they do cover street terrace constructions and driveway aprons.

A neighgor consulted with the local alder who, after some investigation, confirmed that such practices were illegal. All of this was a few years back. Radio silence since.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 pm

fennel wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I think this is a near-westside, entitled yuppie phenomena, but not sure. People who live on streets without sidewalks are putting their own yellow cones on the edge of their lawn, with the implication that you can't park there. Violators get nasty notes on their windshield.
I haven't seen this particular phenomenon, but I have seen folks in our neighborhood who either pave over or carve out a section of the street terrace for their personal use. Sometimes there is a sidewalk, sometimes not. When I informed the City via the usual "have-a-problem" web site, they were fairly responsive at first.

But then I was vaguely informed that there were vague reasons that City parking regulations are not enforced in certain districts. When I followed up to ask for documentation, I was referred to [really!] the Engineering department. When I visited those folks in person, they were (as expected) completely baffled by the idea that they would enforce parking regulations, though they do cover street terrace constructions and driveway aprons.

A neighgor consulted with the local alder who, after some investigation, confirmed that such practices were illegal. All of this was a few years back. Radio silence since.

Why can't this city just be run like a real city? Am I the only one who has a problem with this kind of thing?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 pm

I seem to remember news coverage a few years back about people in the Owen Dr. area (nowhere near where I live) who had no sidewalk or curb in front of their house but had sort of bricked over areas adjacent to the street so they could park. Somehow, this was illegal but nobody enforced the regulations on these people. The point seemed to be they got special treatment. I have no opinion on any of this and can't remember how or if it was resolved. It certainly isn't earth-shaking.

I believe if you check into other "real cities" you'll find plenty of far worse arrangements. Try Chicago.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:I believe if you check into other "real cities" you'll find plenty of far worse arrangements. Try Chicago.

Oh, so that's directed at me. Let's not let this turn into another thread with 20 pages of substantive comments about the topic and 25 pages of comments about me, okay?

There is no way in hell that you could call up any division of Chicago's city government and be met with such a confused, incoherent, absurd response to a legitimate question.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

It's not about you, silly. It's about the governance of cities and how Madison is nowhere near as bad as Chicago (or lots of other places) when it comes to various kinds of "special treatment."

I could just as well have written "try New Jersey," which is a whole nother world when it comes to applying rules and laws in a uniform manner.

Think of all the places in the world where nothing at all gets done without a bribe. Geez, we're totally bush league when it comes to that stuff.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

So you're suggesting that this situation is the product of undue favoritism or kickbacks or something? I don't think that's what's going on at all. I think it's just incompetence.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm

bdog wrote:Where exactly are these coneheads?

A friend of mine was parking in street off of Monroe St., a couple blocks from ye olde fork in road. She got an angry note from homesteader. Silly. I suppose the solution is just to laugh-off the manifest destiny vigilantes - at least until they sit on their porches with shotguns.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Ninja wrote:So you're suggesting that this situation is the product of undue favoritism or kickbacks or something? I don't think that's what's going on at all. I think it's just incompetence.

You're the one who thinks the police and city government ought to be enforcing every violation of the exact letter of every law* at all hours of the day.

Most of us would rather they spend their time fighting crime and enforcing violations that actually hurt people.

* As interpreted by Lionel "Ninja" Hutz, Esq.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
Ninja wrote:So you're suggesting that this situation is the product of undue favoritism or kickbacks or something? I don't think that's what's going on at all. I think it's just incompetence.

You're the one who thinks the police and city government ought to be enforcing every violation of the exact letter of every law* at all hours of the day.

Most of us would rather they spend their time fighting crime and enforcing violations that actually hurt people.

* As interpreted by Lionel "Ninja" Hutz, Esq.

Yes, I think the city should enforce the law, whether it's a question of passing on a solid yellow or a paving over a lawn terrace. These positions are not inconsistent. You say a lot of stupid shit.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 am

I haven't witnessed what the OP is talking about. I have witnessed barracaded street space so parents can have private parties for their kids in the street. This happens occasionally on:

Keyes Ave
Fox Ave
Sheldon St
Gregory St
W Lawn Ave
Leonard St

If anyone tells you that you can't ride through their party on your bike or else they "will report you to the city" its clearly privatization of street space for personal use. Oh yea? You need permits for that and there are fees. You didn't get any and you didn't pay for the privilege. Sometimes the barricades are left on the street corners.

The city doesn't care. I usually don't care and will go around, until some entitled bitch tells me I can't use the street because it's hers right now.
baked goods

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 am

Ninja wrote: You say a lot of stupid shit.

Oh, the irony.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am

baked goods wrote:Oh yea? You need permits for that and there are fees. You didn't get any and you didn't pay for the privilege. Sometimes the barricades are left on the street corners.

Do you know this for a fact? You asked to see the permit and were told they did not have one?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe