MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:40 pm

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/O ... AFr2g.cspx

Owasso man shot by neighbor after chasing burglary suspects
Ultimately, holding a gun while wearing nothing but underwear is what made him look so suspicious that his neighbor shot him.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 pm

In all the chaos, the burglars got away.

I'm shocked.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 pm

"I can't imagine being that guy and trying to get somebody, and then you end up getting hurt," said Kayla Brown, who lives near the shooting scene.

Brown said if Snow [underwear guy] had come to her door she would have gotten her husband, who's in the Army.

"I think that he would definitely ask a few questions before just going off and shooting him. But, like I said, I understand why that guy did that: to protect his family," said Brown.

I know this was Oklahoma, but there's so much totally defective, wackadoo reasoning in the above I don't know where to start. What is the matter with all these people?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Shoot first and ask questions later.

From what I can tell, this is standard, acceptable policy for many police departments across the nation. Some might argue that includes Madison.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Apparently, even in Madison, almost everybody does have a gun....

http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... 5d171.html
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

I know this was Oklahoma, but there's so much totally defective, wackadoo reasoning in the above I don't know where to start. What is the matter with all these people?

Well for one, some of them think running outside with a just a gun and underpants on is ok.

It's an odd thing to have to react to (I assume) especially in the middle of the night, so I actually have more issue with Mr. Underpants who after chasing the burglers away, really should have gone and called the police (and found some pants). The guy who shot him on the other hand was facing an armed individual whom one could reasonably argue appeared to be behaving oddly. I don't think I would shoot imediatly, but I can understand keeping a gun aimed firmly at the visitor's chest until he set the gun down, and identified himself.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:37 pm

I was thinking of this part, first off:

"I can't imagine being that guy and trying to get somebody, and then you end up getting hurt"

So you think you should be able to go out and "get" somebody, and never in the world imagine they might try to "get" you first?

This girl is living in a bubble of bullshit if she thinks her gun magically prevents anything happening to her because of other people's guns. Magical is exactly the word I want, because this is magical thinking.

Next, in the unlikely event Mr. Underpants was actually trying to "get" her, does she think he's going to let her go find her husband first? (I actually wondered what if her husband was in the Army in Afghanistan, given the level of reasoning she's already shown.)

Then, there's the twice-invoked "protect my family" theme. With all the badly-thought-out gun waving going on in this town, it seems to me a lot of people's families are at far more risk than necessary because of, and not in spite of, their nutty belief systems and complete ineptitude in dealing with burglars.

Are we even sure there WAS a burglar? Maybe it was just that mysterious "black car" people call up when they run off the road and need to explain to the police: "Mr. Snow, why are you out here in the middle of the night in your underpants waving a gun?" "I thought I heard a burglar, Officer." "Oh, right. You. Thought. You. Heard. A. Burglar."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:10 pm

That's Captain Underpants to you!
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was thinking of this part, first off:

"I can't imagine being that guy and trying to get somebody, and then you end up getting hurt"

So you think you should be able to go out and "get" somebody, and never in the world imagine they might try to "get" you first?

This girl is living in a bubble of bullshit if she thinks her gun magically prevents anything happening to her because of other people's guns. Magical is exactly the word I want, because this is magical thinking.

Absolutly correct here. Ignoring the wardrobe issues, running down the street waving a gun around while attempting to aprehend would be theives isn't just pushing your legal rights to/past the limit, it's stupid; especially in a "stand your ground"/castle doctirine" world.

snoqueen wrote:Then, there's the twice-invoked "protect my family" theme. With all the badly-thought-out gun waving going on in this town, it seems to me a lot of people's families are at far more risk than necessary because of, and not in spite of, their nutty belief systems and complete ineptitude in dealing with burglars.

I think it's important to keep the two different gun issues here seperate. Captain Underpants clearly was in the wrong for his actions, but I'm not sure his neighbor was. While we might hope a better solution then shooting the armed underpants warrior presents itself, I think this is exactly the type of situation where self defense laws have to side with the shooter.

snoqueen wrote:Are we even sure there WAS a burglar? Maybe it was just that mysterious "black car" people call up when they run off the road and need to explain to the police: "Mr. Snow, why are you out here in the middle of the night in your underpants waving a gun?" "I thought I heard a burglar, Officer." "Oh, right. You. Thought. You. Heard. A. Burglar."

One would hope as part of the medical treatment for his wounds, a blood test was done. And a psych eval. And someone got him a pair of pants.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm

http://kdvr.com/2013/09/07/young-woman- ... -shooting/

It never ends...

And we have a winner!

"Iowa Grants Gun Permits for the Blind!"

http://news.yahoo.com/iowa-grants-gun-p ... 07640.html
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 am

As any 2nd Amendment absolutist will tell you, any age restrictions on ownership would be a violation of the constitution.
The National Park Service is investigating the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old Idaho girl at a Yellowstone National Park campground, officials said Sunday.

The child’s mother told emergency dispatchers that her daughter shot herself with a handgun, park officials said in a statement.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... 7540.story

At least that girl's rights were not infringed.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:17 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm

HawkHead wrote:Two law abiding gun owners.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2682 ... each-other

I'm gonna go all Pat Robertson and say God is trying to weed them out.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Two law abiding gun owners.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2682 ... each-other

I'm gonna go all Pat Robertson and say God is trying to weed them out.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding a down side to this story. No innocent bystanders were hurt, not even the two passengers in the Taurus.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines