MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker commutes to Milwaukee with State planes

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walker commutes to Milwaukee with State planes

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

His eminence our royal Governor is too good for cars, maybe because our roads are so bad. And he doesn't want a high speed train because he claims it cost too much. Instead he uses a State plane and bills the taxpayers.

Scott Walker Flies High on State Planes
Bills $183,000 to state taxpayers this year for flights
http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-217 ... lanes.html

"Gov. Scott Walker blew through $160,000 of state taxpayer money while flying on state-owned planes in the first six months of this year...“Scott Walker tries to market himself as a fiscal conservative with a deadly allergy to government ‘waste’—that was the alleged basis of his attack on the rights of Wisconsin workers and his rejection of federal funds to expand BadgerCare,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin spokeswoman Melissa Baldauff. “This is also a guy who said Wisconsin couldn’t afford $750,000 per year to run high-speed rail between Madison and Milwaukee for commuters. But he’s apparently fine with spending [taxpayer funds] to shuttle himself between Madison and Milwaukee on a state-funded airplane.”
Last edited by Shorty on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker commutes to Milwaukee with State planes

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Did he use state planes to fly out of state for fundraising and speaking gigs? That would piss me off. But using a state plane to hop between Madison and Milwaukee seems like it might be a reasonable governor thing to me. Did his predecessors do that?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 pm

rabble wrote:Did he use state planes to fly out of state for fundraising and speaking gigs? That would piss me off. But using a state plane to hop between Madison and Milwaukee seems like it might be a reasonable governor thing to me. Did his predecessors do that?

Yes. , though the over all travel was down a bit under Doyle compared to Thompson and McCallum.

According to the WKOW article Doyle put on 66,900 miles in his first two and a half years at $4-$7 per mile, that comes out between $279,600 and $468,300

It's tough to get an equivalent number for Walker's first two and a half years, base on one of the Shepherd's calculations we're paying $7.50 a mile for his travels so if we were figuring out Doyle's travel expenses on the same rate it would be $501,750.

The Shepherd states that Walker spent $160,000 in the first half of this year on travel and $100,000 less (or $60,000) in the first 6 months of his term. That leaves 1.5 years of his first 2.5 years unaccounted for. Given it's the Shepherd Express printing the article, I'm fairly confident that if the rate of travel over that period was closer to the last 6 months and not the first 6 months, they would have included that information with some huge overall number. So let's figure an average of $80,000 over that time which is probably high given that he probably did a good deal of his travel in the first half of 2012 on campaign funds. so $60K + $80K * 3 + $160K = $460,000 in his first 2.5 years.

In other words roughly the same as Doyle, maybe less.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

But wouldn't he be expected to use less than Doyle? Like, significantly? I mean, he is a fiscal conservative and spending was out of control, right? We need to tighten our belts in these tough economic times. Teachers deserve less, shouldn't governors?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 am

pjbogart wrote:But wouldn't he be expected to use less than Doyle?

Pretending you are asking a non-rhetorical question, Doyle campaigned on reducing flight times specifically, so I would expect his flight use would be well below average (which it was). Walker seems to be staying at or below the target Doyle established.

I'd actually expect Walker's use to be higher just based on the fact that his home is in Milwaukee as opposed to Doyle whose home was in Madison. Perhaps Walker isn't using public funds to go home on weekends?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

Actually Francis, I really don't care much about how much Walker flies around the State, as long as he isn't using taxpayer dollars to fly to Tennessee for a fundraiser. I also don't care what kind of dog the Obama's bought.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am

He's rarely in the state at all. I've been assuming his donors fly him all over the place to his out-of-state fund-raisers. I bet half the time he gets private planes.

Since he's hardly here, his in-state transportation costs could be expected to be low.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Somebody remind me, are horrible plane crashes statistically more likely or are horrible car accidents statistically more likely?

Yeah, I agree with the OP. He should drive.

It's a joke, fuckers, so spare me your sanctimony in advance. Big thanks.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:28 pm

pjbogart wrote:Actually Francis, I really don't care much about how much Walker flies around the State, as long as he isn't using taxpayer dollars to fly to Tennessee for a fundraiser. I also don't care what kind of dog the Obama's bought.

I'm right there with you, I just like pointing out what a horrible news source the Shepherd Express is.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jackisonian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Shoulda coulda rode a train. Fucker
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government