MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A comparison (another gun thread)

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: A comparison (another gun thread)

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 am

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: So what would you do to make your universal background checks actually make a difference? Have everyone who seems delusional automatically unqualified to pass a background check-- without regard to whether there is evidence that they present a danger to others?

Yup.

If you're not coping with reality, you shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? If you are one who believes no planes hit the WTC or Pentagon on 9/11/01, is that sufficiently "not coping" with reality? If you believe the Kardashians are interesting and newsworthy, is that "not coping" with reality? If you believe there's a supreme being that metes out some sort of cosmic justice, is that not coping with reality? If you believe there are virgins in heaven awaiting you if you die a martyr, is that not coping? Other than a few million similar questions that need to be answered, I think your suggestion has merit.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:58 am

Dangerousman wrote:Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? If you are one who believes no planes hit the WTC or Pentagon on 9/11/01, is that sufficiently "not coping" with reality?

Yes

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe the Kardashians are interesting and newsworthy, is that "not coping" with reality?

No

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe there's a supreme being that metes out some sort of cosmic justice, is that not coping with reality?

Yes

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe there are virgins in heaven awaiting you if you die a martyr, is that not coping?

Yes
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:What do you think about universal background checks for gun sales, including gun shows? You seem to have a fondness for polls. Americans have supported those checks in overwhelming numbers for years.

I think universal background checks are just fine ( including gun shows ). However they would make little, if any difference in most of the headline grabbing shooting disasters.

Yes, regulations on rapid fire high, capacity guns would also help. What say you?

The American public also supports that.

Well Henry, you like to think that you know something about the Constitution and American form of government, so you do know that both were designed to prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled by the majority. We don't have a direct democracy by design.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 am

wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? If you are one who believes no planes hit the WTC or Pentagon on 9/11/01, is that sufficiently "not coping" with reality?

Yes

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe the Kardashians are interesting and newsworthy, is that "not coping" with reality?

No

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe there's a supreme being that metes out some sort of cosmic justice, is that not coping with reality?

Yes

Dangerousman wrote:If you believe there are virgins in heaven awaiting you if you die a martyr, is that not coping?

Yes

Wack believes only atheists should be allowed to have guns, and he's a Kardashian fan. :)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 am

To be completely honest: if I could have my way, only the Kardashians would have guns.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 am

wack wack wrote:To be completely honest: if I could have my way, only the Kardashians would have guns.

You may be even more twisted than previously believed.

I'm not sure they're atheists. But just to be clear, you mean the Kardashians and not the Cardassians, right?

And you're disqualifying yourself from gun ownership. Or, maybe not... eh Khloé?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, regulations on rapid fire high, capacity guns would also help. What say you?

I say it wouldn't help much. Next you will say removing guns will help.

Besides, hunters are not going to give up their semi-auto guns, and I certainly don't blame them.

I didn't say hunters should only have single shot, bolt action guns (although they seem to be the most accurate for hunting). But they certainly don't need high capacity weaponry, as that is only useful in killing people. Game will scatter after the first shot or two.

How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Nice strawman.

Of course hunters don't need "high capacity weaponry."

But hunters aren't the only people who have a use for a gun.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am

Dangerousman wrote:Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? ... Other than a few million similar questions that need to be answered, I think your suggestion has merit.

I'd like a professional opinion.
I am not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but if it were up to me, hearing voices probably qualifies. Carrying a gun while cutting your lawn? I'm on the fence about that. (maybe hiding behind the fence).
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:24 am

How are laws restricting access to rapid fire, high capacity weaponry trampling on your rights? Those type of firearms are only useful for killing a large number of people in a very short period of time. But then you also believe the average American should be able to possess all the armaments that the U.S. military has.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 am

But remember he wants guns not only for home and personal defense (though defining that is another matter). He wants to be able to take on the government for abuses he will define when he sees them.

I think that's the generally-unspoken reasoning behind having weapons with far more capacity than it takes to shoot a burglar.

I feel this is another of those things that's coded, so if you're a believer you get it but the rest of us just stand there and say why the hell would anybody want a thing like that in the house.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 am

if only the Kardashians had guns, I'd be fine with giving up my own. We are able to watch them live their lives in the open, and as crazy as they may seem I find them far less scary than the average "gun rights advocate."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 am

Dangerousman wrote:How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Nice strawman.

That is not my strawman. It was Sandi who thought hunters needed such weaponry. Take it up with her.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Nice strawman.

That is not my strawman. It was Sandi who thought hunters needed such weaponry. Take it up with her.

Reading problems? I didn't say what hunters need. You said that "regulations on rapid fire high, capacity guns would also help." I said it "has no bearing on the discussion."
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 am

And THEN you stated that hunters wouldn't give up their semi-autos.

So, are you saying that hunters actually don't need these weapons but will, nevertheless, refuse to relinquish them?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 am

I'm also curious about this supposed "clip" modification that can be done "without much skill or finesse." How does one significantly increase the capacity of a magazine?

***Note to Dman, Sandi's using gun terms ignorantly. Better put her in check!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines