MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walkercare?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walkercare?

Postby david cohen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 pm

As our illustrious Governor attempts to shift all state employees away from HMOs and into a self-insurance model managed by the state government, it gets me to wondering:

1. pre-election ploy to once again demonize state employees and make his base think he is actually saving money?

2. all around risky venture because the consultants say it might save the state 5% but might also cost the state 20%?

3. total smokescreen for some other awful idea?

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 9f548.html
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walkercare?

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Can anyone explain what this is a little better than the article. I read it this morning and I just don't get the difference.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

It's a Republican Governor who is willing to throw his principles under the bus and get rid of a privatized, competitively-bid, market-based health insurance system and instead goes with single-payer government run health insurance as long as it a) obstructs a part of Obamacare, and b) screws state employees.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 pm

No, not as far as I can tell. Why do you ask?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 pm

I'll go with Option 3.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 pm

I don't really see much cause for hyperventilating yet. But I can add some fuel to these smoldering coals and see if I can't get a bit of flame started... Taking a cue from UPS, do State employees get family coverage from the State even if their spouses could get that same coverage from their own employers? Are we subsidizing corporations by letting them unload some of their health care costs onto taxpayers? How much would the State save if family plans were only offered to employees whose spouses were unable to get insurance from their own employer?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Good questions. From my time in state service, it would be pretty unusual to get "the same level of coverage" from other plans, unless the spouse was a teacher.

Interesting potential conflict: If the private employer won't provide insurance if a spouse can get it, and the spouse's employer has the same policy, does the monkey get the banana?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:00 pm

pjbogart wrote:Are we subsidizing corporations by letting them unload some of their health care costs onto taxpayers?

Here's one for you. One spouse works for the state, the other for the federal government. Either way the taxpayer is fucked. Which entity picks up the bill?

I don't really dig on this idea of forces someone to take their spouses coverage. Do many private companies do this? Could you explain exactly what UPS does? I'm not familiar.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Walker couldn't be bothered with setting up Wisconsin healthcare exchanges under the ACA, but now he wants to create a Wisconsin self-insurance plan for state workers.

I don't trust the dude.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I don't really dig on this idea of forces someone to take their spouses coverage. Do many private companies do this? Could you explain exactly what UPS does? I'm not familiar.

I think you've got this backwards. The issue is forcing removal of a spouse from coverage if their (the spouse's) employer offers coverage.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Could you explain exactly what UPS does? I'm not familiar.

UPS decided to force the spouses of non-Union employees to get coverage from their own employers if offered. They said it would affect about 15,000 employees.

I'm not really pushing this as a good or bad idea, and I'm not even sure if people would take sides on the issue along traditional party lines. It seems like Republicans love cutting government spending, but they're not so big on doing so at the expense of corporations.

Basically, if the State adopted the UPS model the scenario would work like this: If your wife works for the State and you work for Promega, the State would kick you off their coverage and tell you to get your coverage from Promega, potentially saving taxpayers a great deal of money.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:16 pm

pjbogart wrote: If your wife works for the State and you work for Promega, the State would kick you off their coverage and tell you to get your coverage from Promega, potentially saving taxpayers a great deal of money.

What if Promega tells your wife to get coverage through the State?

OK, bad example, because Promega tends to be a decent employer.

But still.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm

DCB wrote:
pjbogart wrote: If your wife works for the State and you work for Promega, the State would kick you off their coverage and tell you to get your coverage from Promega, potentially saving taxpayers a great deal of money.

What if Promega tells your wife to get coverage through the State?

Then it would be just like what UPS did.

They aren't booting employees from the plans, only employees' spouses (in such cases that the spouse is eligible for coverage from their own employer).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm

jman111 wrote:I think you've got this backwards. The issue is forcing removal of a spouse from coverage if their (the spouse's) employer offers coverage.

Gotcha. I think I could see that scenario as acceptable.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Next up, what about dependent children?
Can/will employers ask/force your spouse to insure your dependents, if eligible?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government