MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Do personal beliefs of musicians affect your enjoyment?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Do personal beliefs of musicians affect your enjoyment?

Postby NullDevice » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm

a) make sure you close your damned tags.

b) I've always waffled on the issue of musician's personal beliefs. I guess I take it on a case-by-case basis - it depends on the artist and the beliefs. I'll let some half-assed political beliefs slide if it's a good song.

Although one dealbreaker offence in my books is shitting on your fans. I used to be a big fan of Soul Coughing and Mike Doughty's solo works, but his recent denigration of SC (yes, the band was dysfunctional, yes he was a junkie, no, not everyone who likes SC songs is a moron telling MD to go fuck himself) has left a really sour taste in my mouth, to the point where I can't listen to his solo work - even stuff I liked previously - because I can't get past him essentially telling me that the reason I liked him in the first place is bogus and horrible. Oh, and now he's doing an album of SC covers, so as they say, hypocrisy is the greatest luxury.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 pm

NullDevice wrote:I used to be a big fan of Soul Coughing and Mike Doughty's solo works, but his recent denigration of SC (yes, the band was dysfunctional, yes he was a junkie, no, not everyone who likes SC songs is a moron telling MD to go fuck himself) has left a really sour taste in my mouth

Agreed. Though I was always a bigger fan of SC than of Doughty solo.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I was as well, but I admitted a fondness for stuff off Rockity Roll and Haughty Melodic.

Then his autobiography/memoirs came out, and it's just a slagfest on his former bandmates, music, and fans. And he would bitch people out on twitter and fb who would ask innocent questions about SC or mention that they were big SC fans. Not cool, dude, not cool.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 am

If I got too wrapped up in an entertainer's politics I'd have little music to enjoy-- and probably a lot fewer movies too. I object to the idea that their opinions matter any more than the next guy's, or gal's, opinion simply because they are celebreties. The one's that annoy me the most are those who have convinced themselves that it does matter. If they have made an effort to gain a degree of expertise in an area outside of acting or music, that's helps.

Of course one whom I admire, Nietzsche, worshipped Wagner. But famously went on to reject him because of Wagner's antisemetism and because he consider Parsifal to be a sell-out to Christianity. (Although he apparently still thought that musicaly it was very fine if one ignored the subject content.)

I certainly remember when people were tossing Beatles records into fires, too.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to General Music