MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm

rrnate wrote:Speaking of the Chili Peppers; never trust a band that spends a lot of time working out to be shirtless muscle guys. They'll be terrible AND they'll drop a "tender, sensitive ballad" on you, every time.

Like "Under the bridge?"

Lou Reed was no shirtless muscle guy, but "Heroin" ---mmmm, tender and sensitive. Why bring him up? .... the sun glasses he wore.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Dangerousman wrote:But I think all acts would be better if they dressed like 70's ABBA.

Agreed.
Even Early 80's ABBA too.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I think bands would be better off if they crafted songs as carefully as Abba. Not so convinced about the outfits.

Here's hoping Lou Reed's next collaboration is fronting Abba.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:30 pm

minicat wrote:I think bands would be better off if they crafted songs as carefully as Abba. Not so convinced about the outfits.

Here's hoping Lou Reed's next collaboration is fronting Abba.

ABBRA

I'd buy that.

But unless someone fancies up Mr. Reed a little, that record cover is going to suck. Is Mick Rock still alive? Maybe he could Transformeritizate the little guy again.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby The Center Square » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I assume the PR folks/ABBA purists would force Lou to use his first name…
BLAAB
Then there's the top billing argument Lou's lawyers would make…
LABBA

The top billing argument got me thinking though:
Who is more powerful? Lou Reed or the members of ABBA?
ABBA as like superhero team, mind you - Individually they can me taken down pretty easily
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=372436tJiaM

oh who am I kidding?

It's about the music, isn't it?
Not the name.
(or apparently anything not strictly related to a single auditory sense)

I'm sticking with ABBRA.

Yes this post was just an excuse to post a Frida song on a Friday afternoon.
Don't look at it though, just listen.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 am

Actually this Radiohead is case in point. Cool hat, collared shirt work perfectly and do not distract. Besides playing dress up for a video is totally different that doing some stupid vaudeville shit for playing a show.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby wesconsin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am

flanneljammies wrote:Actually this Radiohead is case in point. Cool hat, collared shirt work perfectly and do not distract. Besides playing dress up for a video is totally different that doing some stupid vaudeville shit for playing a show.

you're doing it wrong. You don't get it, and that is perfectly fine. Image is important to you. As long as we all understand that image is important to you.
wesconsin

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 am

Oh I'm doing it wrong am I? Finding, listening and supporting great music is doing it wrong? It's important because if the image is stupid, that almost always implies shitty music. I don't like shitty music. This is one of many red flags that serve as shorthand for me. There is way too much music out there to pay attention to everything, I'm not going to waste my time with bros or dilettantes because 99 times out of 100, it won't be worth my while. You're the one who doesn't get it.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby wesconsin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm

flanneljammies wrote:Oh I'm doing it wrong am I? Finding, listening and supporting great music is doing it wrong? It's important because if the image is stupid, that almost always implies shitty music. I don't like shitty music. This is one of many red flags that serve as shorthand for me. There is way too much music out there to pay attention to everything, I'm not going to waste my time with bros or dilettantes because 99 times out of 100, it won't be worth my while. You're the one who doesn't get it.

Weird. I feel like you are the only one putting so much emphasis on physical appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7dPlCzUG44

Moral of the story? Don't judge a book by the cover. Anyone can wear anything out of any magazine. Anyone can dress hipster, emo, stylish, or whatever. Physical appearance does not dictate quality of the audio.
wesconsin

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm

wesconsin wrote:Physical appearance does not dictate quality of the audio.

Never said that it did. I said it's a good advance warning about whether the music is shitty or not. It's not 100% accurate but it helps weed through a lot of shitty bands and music.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby Bland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 am

wesconsin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7dPlCzUG44

Moral of the story? Don't judge a book by the cover.

Hmmmm I think the moral of that story is that "reality" TV is manipulative, calculated bullcrap but YMMV.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 am

Fashionista-wise, I was distracted by Manfred Manson's coloured contacts. Where's the theremin when you need it? He did seem to deliver an unexpected performance. NBC went overboard trying to wring everything out of it.
All these talent shows use the same formula to create the short bio/backstory segments: a sad story set over treacly music.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jou » Thu May 08, 2014 2:06 pm

Clowns have been dressing up since prehistoric times.

And if you're not conscious of what costume you wear, even your lack of one, then you are missing out on some aspects of expression/performance.
Jou
Forum Addict

Postby artpaul » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Jou wrote:Clowns have been dressing up since prehistoric times.

And if you're not conscious of what costume you wear, even your lack of one, then you are missing out on some aspects of expression/performance.

I agree there is something to be said about attracting people's attention to get them to listen to you.

I mean I get more coming over and filming me if I wear a costume now and then.

And I'm sure someone beautiful that sings good will really get the stares.

But it is also true good music doesn't need a costume to sound good.

And when I hear on the radio (which has no pictures) some beautiful song or something funny or something that jams I don't care if they are ugly or handsome or wearing suits or no clothes I just want to hear that song again.

Yet if I see a picture of someone before I hear the music and the picture turns me off I may not listen to the music.

It's kind of like when you were a kid and your parents offered you food that looked bad but when you tried it you liked it.

People shouldn't let costumes and photos manipulate what we listen to but they do so a performer should be concern about what they wear but even more concern about what they sound like.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music