MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

(former) Mayor Dave laying the groundwork

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

(former) Mayor Dave laying the groundwork

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Anyone else get the impression Dave is going to be leading the Maniaci campaign for Mayor?

His latest blog post has the subtly of a fish upside the head:
http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=41087

I have no intention of running for mayor again. I think it's time for a new generation of leadership for our city.

Back to Maniaci "mentioning" she might be interested in the job:
http://m.host.madison.com/ct/news/local ... 963f4.html

Uhg,

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: (former) Mayor Dave laying the groundwork

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Ugh indeed. She was one of the worst alders I've seen in a long time -- rarely on time, rarely prepared, gave rambling incomprehensible speeches at every chance, totally in the pocket of Bob Dunn (Mr. Edgewater) and totally deaf to other voices in her own neighborhood, no evidence of concern for those with no civic voices at all, and a showboat.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 pm

He's been making a point of slamming Soglin for a while now. I figured he was planning on running again himself, but the Maniaci theory actually makes more sense (especially given his statement that he isn't going to run).
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Didn't he just get a new job?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 pm

snoqueen wrote: no evidence of concern for those with no civic voices at all, and a showboat.

What!?! Sno, I just don't see it....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Right Bower wrote:Didn't he just get a new job?

He's an executive director. My guess is that won't take all his free time. Besides he helps her more as an outside supporter. That way he can openly bash Soglin without her being directly linked.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:47 pm

New generation ain't Maniaci. Time to start thinking real deal forons.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 pm

snoqueen wrote:Ugh indeed. She was one of the worst alders I've seen in a long time -- rarely on time, rarely prepared, gave rambling incomprehensible speeches at every chance, totally in the pocket of Bob Dunn (Mr. Edgewater) and totally deaf to other voices in her own neighborhood, no evidence of concern for those with no civic voices at all, and a showboat.

Wow I've met that girl. Totally thought she was blowing smoke about politics though. Complete egomaniac, and sort of notably flaky I thought. Basically kind of like an overgrown teenager who starts name dropping at the slightest hint of a mix drink. Her vision of local politics is all money. She has no concept of the idea of "petty power". Maniaci would be a bad influence on the character of this town and if Mayor Dave likes her, that says something about him. She is, may I say though, smoking hot.

I always thought Dave put the "Appleton" in Madison anyway, Mayor Dave really stewarded the transition of Madison from a true bohemian sort of place, to the more 'Middle-America', just like everywhere else kind of place it's increasingly become. Talking to Menaci, I feel the decline would only be hastened, she doesn't care about anything but pockets and favors.

Side note, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've rather felt the town has regained a bit of its old luster under Soglin, and I hope we get someone more like him once he decides to leave.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Chris Taylor should run for mayor. Step up from state rep and a resume builder for statewide office. I really like her. Maniaci would turn Madison into a Rockford.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 pm

bdog wrote:New generation ain't Maniaci. Time to start thinking real deal forons.

Dog,
I do not know that I agree with you.
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/m ... 963f4.html
Perhaps it is just Fanlund, but that piece leaves me a touch uneasy.
I am on the fence, I need more data to judge this individuals fitness to govern our city.
MH

p.s.- I agree with you about Maniaci.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:54 am

Bludgeon, you're right on the money today.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I usually skip DJC's columns (they're almost as worthless as Chris Rickert's, and far more politically calculating), but this thread caused me to read a couple. This caught my eye: "the mercurial and often just strange meanderings of a doddering mayor by an increasingly competent and assertive council."

Remember when DJC was supposed to be the nice guy in local politics?

BTW - my money is on Bidar-Sielaff as the candidate, not Maniaci. Certainly not Taylor, who will step into the Senate without opposition when Fred Risser retires.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Stu Levitan wrote: This caught my eye: "the mercurial and often just strange meanderings of a doddering mayor by an increasingly competent and assertive council."

Remember when DJC was supposed to be the nice guy in local politics?

He's always kind of used the column to tout his performance as mayor as well as trash on some of Soglin's decisions (when they reverse his choices) but it has gotten way over the top lately.

Kind of wonder how long the Isthmus is going to continue providing him with a pulpit to preach from if he's keeps using it to blatantly target Soglin or support a challenger.

I did like the bit about considering himself the "loyal opposition".
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Mayor Dave really stewarded the transition of Madison from a true bohemian sort of place, to the more 'Middle-America', just like everywhere else kind of place it's increasingly become.

I see part of that as urban sprawl which happened under Soglin's watch. The move to strip malls and subdivisions happened before Mayor Dave's time.

Madison lost its bohemian aura after the late eighties. I've been here 20 years now and came here before then when my sister lived here. Back then it was definitely bohemian, but the city grew and you need to adapt to that.

People who say I wish it were like it was back in the day are short sided. Madison is a growing community and it needs to adapt. Sure, Madison isn't what is was in 1970, but it's a different place and whoever runs this town needs to see that things change.

Bludgeon wrote:Side note, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've rather felt the town has regained a bit of its old luster under Soglin

I know you said you can't put your finger on it, but how are things different. From my perspective it's about the same. What is it that makes you feel this way? Not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't see that "change"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government