MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Waukesha wants Lake Michigan

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Waukesha wants Lake Michigan

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Walkersha polluted its spring water. Now it wants to use Lake Michigan for water. I hope they don't get it.

Not far from Lake Michigan, Waukesha yearns for water
http://www.channel3000.com/news/not-far ... index.html

"The Wisconsin city of Waukesha was once known for its mineral-rich springs. But now its underground aquifer is polluted. So the city wants to draw from Lake Michigan, only 15 miles away. But there's a catch.

It's illegal to tap into the Great Lakes from outside their watershed unless the eight states in the region agree. Waukesha has the hard luck to lie just beyond the watershed boundary. So it's preparing to seek permission."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Waukesha wants Lake Michigan

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 pm

does anyone remember the time that the vermont congressional delegation tried to get lake champlain declared one of the great lakes, ostensibly to get federal funds earmarked for them?

if lake champlain is a great lake, the odana golf course pond is too. lake champlain is interesting coz it has a big monster in it, just like my pants.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 pm

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.co ... -pictures/

A couple selling points for Chicago's Deep Tunnel project was softer and more potable drinking water.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 am

It wouldn't just require the approval of the eight US Great Lakes states; it would also break the 1985 US/Canada Great Lakes Compact and a subsequent agreement from some time in the mid 2000s.

A number of the Milwaukee suburbs outside the watershed boundary have been facing water shortages for well over a decade now. Waukesha should have been planning for this a long time ago.

In and of itself, it wouldn't matter much if Waukesha was allowed to take Great Lakes water across the watershed boundary. But it would set a precedent that could become hugely problematic. The Great Plains and southeastern/southwestern states are rapidly draining their own aquifers and reservoirs and would love to get their hands on Great Lakes water.

Meanwhile, water levels in Lake Michigan have been below average for 14 years, and set an all-time low record this year.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 am

I remember reading about Waukesha's situation several years ago, and several other towns with the same problem. It was in one of those "We're going to have some water problems over here sooner than you think" documentaries.

They mentioned the Great Lakes Agreement and the process for application, and specifically mentioned that Waukesha was thinking about applying. Since that was so long ago, I was under the impression that Waukesha had already applied and no decision had been made.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

It would probably be best for all if Waukesha simply dispersed itself evenly across the state.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 am

I recommend James Rowen's blog for ongoing coverage of the Waukesha water issue along with other environmental quality stories:

http://www.thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/

You can search on "Waukesha."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 am

i'd like to live somewhere where the groundwater contained powerful opiates leached from a storage tank. that would be yummy. that and/or some e in the water.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 am

I think Sno's onto something here. I would not be surprised if the Waukesha Lake Mich. water wrangling somehow gets legally mangled to allow big business (mines, nestle) to somehow get more free water to the detriment of the rest of the state. Just as the right is highly dubious of anything coming out of Madison, I'm equally suspicious of anything coming out of Waukesha. There's more going on here than we know about.
hellogoodbye

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am

But keep in mind anything done to the water in the Great Lakes has to be approved by all eight of the signers to the water compact, not just Scott Walker's Wisconsin. That's the power of the compact.

Of course Waukesha is trying to weasel around it, but it's a remarkably powerful document in principle. As usual, we'll find out how well it stands up to big money.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 am

Waukesha is pretty small potatoes. But I wouldn't be surprised if, sometime this century, a coalition of southeastern, southwestern, and Great Plains states manage to get the Great Lakes Compact repealed, over the strenuous protests of the Great Lakes states. Clean fresh water is going to be the oil of the 21st century, and there are a lot of states out there that are already thirsty and will be getting more so in the coming years.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:47 am

wack wack wrote:It would probably be best for all if Waukesha simply dispersed itself evenly across the state.

Milwaukee tried that, how the hell do you think we ended up with Waukesha in the first place?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:56 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
wack wack wrote:It would probably be best for all if Waukesha simply dispersed itself evenly across the state.

Milwaukee tried that, how the hell do you think we ended up with Waukesha in the first place?

I think "white flight" and "dispersion" are very different things.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:09 am

kurt_w wrote:Waukesha is pretty small potatoes. But I wouldn't be surprised if, sometime this century, a coalition of southeastern, southwestern, and Great Plains states manage to get the Great Lakes Compact repealed, over the strenuous protests of the Great Lakes states. Clean fresh water is going to be the oil of the 21st century, and there are a lot of states out there that are already thirsty and will be getting more so in the coming years.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are mighty unsustainable. Unless we make substantial advancements to cheap desalinization tech, the folks who chose to build massive metropolitan areas in the middle of the desert are going to be coming for our water. But, hey, who likes dealing with Winter?
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Wow, makes you wonder what sort of shit is in Waukesha's water that they'd actually want Lake Michigan water that is full of shit, literally, from the many times Milwaukee empties raw sewage into it. Not to mention all the dead bodies and other crap that float up from Chicago and Gary.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines