MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

What's The Deal with Parking Downtown

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

What's The Deal with Parking Downtown

Postby Maggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 am

Lately an awful lot of parking meters are covered in cloth with NO PARKING on them. Last Saturday (Homecoming Night) it was almost impossible to find a parking spot. The ramps were full. I know people who went downtown and could not park. They went home.

Last night (Tuesday) there seem to be dozens of empty parking slots that couldn't be used for no apparent reason. Some were reserved for Frank Productions. I said screw it and parked in one by Fairchild and State. I didn't get a ticket but I was worried that I might.

Anyone know what the story is about this?
Maggie
Forum Addict

Re: What's The Deal with Parking Downtown

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 am

Maggie wrote:Lately an awful lot of parking meters are covered in cloth with NO PARKING on them.

This has been my pet peeve for years. Even at small events like the Farmer's Market, they close-down a ton of parking meters. If the excuse is they want better traffic flow, don't believe it. They close down meters in cul-de-sacs too. I assume the idea is to funnel people into the parking ramps.

Cloth? They used to use brown paper, but those could be ripped off by the wind or other acts of God. Image
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't know if the cover was cloth or paper or whatever. But who is it that is making this decision to put a bunch of needed parking metered slots out of commission? And how can we get it to stop.
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Maggie wrote:Last Saturday (Homecoming Night) it was almost impossible to find a parking spot. The ramps were full. I know people who went downtown and could not park. They went home.

The spots were covered because there is this thing called a homecoming parade. And the fact that ramps were full and parking was tight on Homecoming night is something new?

Maggie wrote:And how can we get it to stop.

When you called parking enforcement and let them know where these empty spots were on Tuesday, what did they say?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

That was the worst Seinfeld impression ever.

BTW, when they put those hoods over the meters, if it's for a private group (parade, construction, whatever), they're paying the city for lost parking meter revenue.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
The spots were covered because there is this thing called a homecoming parade. And the fact that ramps were full and parking was tight on Homecoming night is something new?

Just forget about it...What was I thinking? This is the daily page forum.
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Maggie wrote:Just forget about it...What was I thinking? This is the daily page forum.

So far you've got one post agreeing with you, one snark, and one neutral. I don't mean to be snarky myself (this particular time) but I think you might be paying more attention to one-third of the responses than you ought.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Ooh, a parking thread. Let me get my notes..
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 pm

CRAP!

Never mind what I said, Maggie. Just run.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Did you know that you can reload the new electronic parking meters from any station around town? I asked a parking official and she said each parking spot is individually numbered and all the pay stations are connected. So if you park at spot 6345 near the square and plug two hours worth of $ in the pay station, but one hour and fifty minutes later you are on library mall and realize you don't have enough time to get back to buy more parking time you can go to the nearest pay station and buy more time. Just carry your stub with you and don't use the same credit/debit card or use coins.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Average Joe wrote:Just carry your stub with you and don't use the same credit/debit card or use coins.
Why this part? Hour limits?

Overall, though, your post is good news.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:44 pm

So you know what time your meter expires and what is your parking spot number. Most people already do carry their receipt with them or immediately toss it, but some who have experience central parking pay stations in other cities put the receipt ticket on the dash. Those where older systems, when I was in Toronto about a decade ago you had to put the receipt visibly on the dash so the parking authority could see you were legally parked. The system Madison has is connected via wifi technology and the parking authority knows immediately what spaces have expired time.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Lemme try again:
Average Joe wrote:...don't use the same credit/debit card or use coins.
That part.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry, I focused on the stub part. Yes, city ordinances state that you must move your car after the allotted time. This was previously unable to enforced in metered spots unless they chalked your tires. In free street parking they used to chalk your tires. Now in free parking zones they have patrol vehicles that basically record the parked vehicles just by driving through and no longer chalk tires. In the paid spaces they will decline a repeated card from the same user if tried to pay for the same space in back to back time slots.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 pm

In some cities you can top off your meter from your phone with a parking app (legally, not inviting a ticket). If Madison has this yet, I'm not aware of it. But we're pretty technologically up-to-date so expect it soon.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe