MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I was waiting in my dentist office this afternoon when the Rolling Stone's song "Brown Sugar" came on the radio. When I was in high school and college during the late Sixties and early Seventies I really did not like this kind of music. But it was what was always played and I was forced to endure it. It now makes my ears bleed and my brain feel like it is splitting down the middle.

But I digress.

This song is incredibly offensive! It is a very raciest song that promotes rape and pedophilia.

Here is a sampling of the lyrics.

"Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should"

Given that we are getting rid of school mascots that are offensive to Native Americans should we not grow up and ask radio stations, record stores and other music outlets to stop selling this offensive trash?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: "Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:16 pm

You don't care that it's also promoting slavery?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

swimmingupstream wrote: It is a very raciest song that promotes rape and pedophilia....
"Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should"

The lyrics are sardonic and hardly promoting sexual abuse.

The mood of the song is celebratory, which is odd, guess its a bad boy thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Girls ... tones_song)
"Some Girls" caused a ruckus among both feminists and civil rights activists over such lyrics as "black girls just want to get fucked all night" and "Chinese girls are so gentle/They're really such a tease". Mick Jagger and the band defended the song, saying the lyrics mocked actual stereotypical feelings towards women.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 pm

"Under My Thumb" is another Rolling Stones song with questionable lyrics.

The Stones specialized in the bad boy genre that emerged as white British boys submerged themselves in the blues and other black music, some of which have very sexist themes. These were kids growing up in post-WWII times, which were quite different in Great Britain than in the US. Life was a lot grittier in post-WWII Britain. Thus, many white boys came to identify with blues and American black culture.

The Stones played a lot of blues at first. The first Stones album had a number of covers of blues and rock songs originally done by black musicians. I don't believe the Stones were racists, and I'm sure the lyrics of "Brown Sugar" weren't meant to be racist. I do think it was an attempt to use the horrible imagery of slavery to emphasize an aspect of the "bad boy" image they wanted to convey. I think it an appropriation of imagery that is over the top, and inappropriate, but much of art is over the top and inappropriate.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Your are most likely to succeed.
You have the looks and charms
And girl you know that's all you need.
All the men around adore you
That sexy look will do wonders for you.

Love is all around, no need to waste it.
You can have the town, why don't you take it?
You're gonna make it after all.

- Sonny Curtis

Aka Theme from Mary Tyler Moore show
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Like Washington Redskins fans, I think you are coming up with weak excuses. It is violently racist and should be banned from radio playlists.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

It is by no means "art." It is trashy commercial pop pablum. Like Miley Cyrus.

To pass it off as art is a cop out.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Donald » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Well, there's the fact that this song, at least in some interpretations, has a hidden meaning, for those more in the know than I, about about using heroin in certain forms. I guess hiding your drug message in a song about slavery is an interesting artistic choice.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:26 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:It is by no means "art." It is trashy commercial pop pablum. Like Miley Cyrus.

To pass it off as art is a cop out.

Oh, it most certainly is artistic expression.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 pm

That is silly. It is just banging on pots and pans and sing-speaking off key.

At least the Rolling Stones kept it relatively short.

The most painful three hours of my life was when I was in grad school at Cornell back in the mid-Seventies. I allowed my then boyfriend to convince me to go see the Grateful Dead who were playing on campus. They basically played the same note over and over. All of my boyfriend's friends acted like it was all so profound. Of course they were stoned out of their minds because they were smoking marijuana and other substances.

Luckily I had brought a book I was reading for my dissertation research. After the second song I stuffed tissue in my ears and sat backwards in my chair and happily read my book.

After an hour or so I decided I just could not take anymore and asked my boyfriend to take me home. He was a real jerk and refused so I had to walk about a mile and a half to my apartment which was off campus.

I was pretty crazy back then!
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Donald wrote:Well, there's the fact that this song, at least in some interpretations, has a hidden meaning, for those more in the know than I, about about using heroin in certain forms. I guess hiding your drug message in a song about slavery is an interesting artistic choice.

I take it you were on drugs when you wrote this?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:42 pm

"Brown Sugar" starts off with one of the most compelling guitar riffs ever laid down on a rock & roll record: a choppy, bluesy sequence that manages to sound halfway between full chords and single notes, with a prickly, wobbly note inserted between repetitions of the principal lick. Those riffs are what, more than anything else, made it a resounding number one hit in 1971 (although it had actually been recorded back in 1969). There was plenty else on the record that made one dance, sing along, and, probably last, start to wonder exactly what the Rolling Stones were singing about in its typically lust-laden, controversial lyric. There are more amazing riffs dotting the record, particularly when the guitars go to a lower register to play a more ominous lick. The group sings the lyric with all the enthusiasm of tongue-wagging dogs swooping onto a prime rib, leading up to one of the band's strongest shout-along choruses. As on other Stones classics of the period like "Honky Tonk Women" and "Bitch," beefy horns start to duel with the buzzing electric guitars in the instrumental break; few if any other groups have used guitars and horns as deftly in unison. The crowning embellishment is the final choruses, which vary the melody and tempo so that the group sings and make a high-pitched exclamation in a rhythm that very much resembles that of a sexual climax. As Robert Christgau wrote in The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock'n'Roll, "Brown Sugar" is "a rocker so compelling that it discourages exegesis." Once that exegesis had been performed, many listeners were disturbed to find a lyric describing, to most appearances, a Colonial slave owner having sex with a black slave girl, in terms strongly suggestive of oral sex no less. One could take the position that the Stones were being ironic, but the giddy enthusiasm with which they whoop it up seems to belie that interpretation. Muddying the waters even more, Keith Richards told NME, "Brown sugar was in fact a term for Mexican smack. Mick [Jagger] just wrote it for a chick." The brilliance of the track is that it is so musically powerful and irresistible that the most PC-conscious listener will find it hard not to dance to it before getting around to pondering the lyrics. But it can't be denied that the words are among the most troubling evocations of evil and sexploitation that Jagger and Richards devised, whether that was a conscious or subconscious effect.

Song Review by Richie Unterberger
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 am

Side note: Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" was originally "Brown-Skinned Girl", but his record company objected. The Rolling Stones had more pull with their company.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:03 am

We need to ban "Hey Joe" as well.

"I gave her the gun
I shot her!
"

Advocating murder. And Hendrix liked to pretend he was a hippy.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:09 am

Then there is Bowie's "China Girl" which also includes:
Visions of swastikas in my head
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music