MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

State run health care exchanges

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

State run health care exchanges

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Scott Walker refused to set up Wisconsin's own health care exchanges under the ACA (as did many other GOP controlled states). Even so, Republicans in the Wisconsin Assembly want to have the final say (though they agree with Walker). I guess they are afraid of Governor Mary Burke setting them up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: State run health care exchanges

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Walker's refusal to set up state health care exchanges drove up the cost for the insurance.

A consumer advocacy group said Wednesday that Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s rejection of federal Medicaid money and the state’s hands-off approach to rate regulation has pushed health care exchange rates up to 99 percent higher than in neighboring Minnesota.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 pm

The discussion on madison.com about this is interesting. Am I missing something or does this look like just another way for the Republicans to stop a federal mandate?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker's refusal to set up state health care exchanges drove up the cost for the insurance.

A consumer advocacy group said Wednesday that Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s rejection of federal Medicaid money and the state’s hands-off approach to rate regulation has pushed health care exchange rates up to 99 percent higher than in neighboring Minnesota.

My understanding is that a lot of low-income and younger people will be far more affected than "99% higher". People who make more than $11,490/year but less than $15,856/year will be ineligible for Medicaid but also ineligible for any subsidies on the exchange. Essentially, Walker intentionally created a donut-hole that massively screws over a lot of people who would be getting free health care coverage in a neighboring State.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:49 pm

pjbogart wrote: Essentially, Walker intentionally created a donut-hole that massively screws over a lot of people who would be getting free health care coverage in a neighboring State.

Ya, that's about right.

Those people will get subsidies, but they won't be able to afford the copays and deductibles, so the won't buy insurance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:37 pm

This is to be sure Wisconsinites do not become takers. If people get sick and start leeching off the government, better that they die off or leave. We only want the strong.

Is this some kind of eugenics experiment?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Huckleby wrote:
pjbogart wrote: Essentially, Walker intentionally created a donut-hole that massively screws over a lot of people who would be getting free health care coverage in a neighboring State.

Ya, that's about right.

Those people will get subsidies, but they won't be able to afford the copays and deductibles, so the won't buy insurance.

No, Huck. They won't even get a subsidy. You don't qualify for a subsidy unless you earn 138% of the poverty level. The expansion of Medicaid was supposed to provide insurance for those who earn less than 138% of poverty. But Walker rejected the expansion of Medicaid, so the people between 100% and 138% of poverty will get nothing. Ironically, if you earn $16k/year you will get basically free insurance because your subsidy will cover most of your policy cost, but if you make under $16k/year you will get nothing. No Medicaid, no subsidy to buy insurance.

I don't know... maybe Badgercare will fill the gap. I've never been on Medicaid or Badgercare, so I'm not sure about the details.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm

pjbogart wrote: No, Huck. They won't even get a subsidy. You don't qualify for a subsidy unless you earn 138% of the poverty level. The expansion of Medicaid was supposed to provide insurance for those who earn less than 138% of poverty.

This is tricky and confusing. Your second statement is correct on intent of law, but acutally subsidies start at 100% due to language. Enjoy:
http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwatch ... stake.html

pjbogart wrote:I don't know... maybe Badgercare will fill the gap. I've never been on Medicaid or Badgercare, so I'm not sure about the details.

"BadgerCare" is just a brand name for Medicaid in WI.
People in the income band that you cite are going to be screwed, they can't afford the exchange.
Actually, experience suggests individuals who earn less than ~$22K find subsidized insurance difficult because of copays/deductibles.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... expensive/

BTW, Ohio has decided to expand Medicaid. This is huge good news. The Republican Governor, John Kasich, used a sneaky trick to bypass the legislature. The very pissed-off legislators are pushing back.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/2 ... 45559.html
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:42 pm

YA know, choice of state or federal website matters for WI, but it is a small issue compared to medicaid.

My question is whether Walker is going to get away politically with screwing low-income people out of medicaid, then blaming their lack of health insurance on an unaffordable Obamacare marketplace. I fear he might hoodwink a confused and misinformed public.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 am

Huckleby wrote:I fear he might hoodwink a confused and misinformed public.

They say you should stick to what you're best at.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 am

green union terrace chair wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I fear he might hoodwink a confused and misinformed public.

They say you should stick to what you're best at.

Are you referring to Walker or the confused and misinformed public?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 am

Walker's plan to suppress enrollment in Obamacare is working.

Wisconsin’s per-capita spending to explain and market the Affordable Care Act is the lowest in the nation at 46 cents per person, according to research by The Associated Press.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government