MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:57 pm

In-depth interview, extensive position statements here
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am

It's good to hear a candidate talk about changing how we do redistricting. Personally, I think it should be standardized nationally, but we won't see that any time soon. Thanks for the link Stu.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 am

Was this her first public interview since announcing?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bensmomjo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:41 am

I'd say we have different definitions of "in-depth" and "extensive," Stu, but no matter. This is a nice piece by the Baraboo News Republic. It's good to see that Mary Burke is fleshing out her positions, at least a little, bit by bit.

Clearly she is taking the "moderation in all things" approach so she can appeal to all people, e.g., mining, with appropriate control, etc. But moderation is not always the appropriate response.

A mine like the one proposed in the Penokee Hills, for instance, should NEVER happen because of the fragility of the area, the impact on the watershed, and the presence of asbestos and sulfides. Lake Superior is the largest freshwater source in the country, and the Bad River feeds directly into Lake Superior. Why in the world would anyone not try to do everything possible to protect it? No amount of "control" will help with that.

So while I welcome Mary Burke filling in a few of the blanks, I am not inspired by what I see there.
bensmomjo

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:58 am

At this point, I agree.

The reason I agree is the contrast with Kathleen Vinehout, who has been writing in great detail for several years about a wide variety of state topics including the environment, business, agriculture, conditions in the legislature, and much more.

I don't know if she can win, because Burke (who seems like perfectly nice person with an acceptable record) has the money and the connections.

But with Viinehout putting it all out there for anybody to read, Burke has to say more than she's saying now. She's allowing herself to be way over-managed, and that does not speak well for her independence.

To be fair, she seems to know her way around a budget and has made comments on that topic, which is good. For that reason, we know she can and should do better on other matters.

There is a fine line between tailoring one's platform to the needs of real voters, and tailoring it to polling (or worse, to funding). It's a minefield out there. But being inscrutable isn't the solution, because once elected you won't be inscrutable for long.

Tammy Baldwin has set a pretty decent example for how to walk that minefield and get elected, so we know it can be done.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Folks, if that's what it takes to beat Walker, who has the advantage of incumbency and access to as much money as he needs, she can be completely invisible for all I care.

Baldwin beating Thompson for Senate is not at all the same proposition as Baldwin beating Walker for Governor. For one thing, Thompson suffered from tepid support from the GOP right wing. Just like I can see Burke suffering from tepid support from the Democratic left wing.

How many times will we have to relearn this? Any candidate whose platform garners the enthusiastic support of Dane County liberals will not win a statewide race for Governor. Either you accept less than perfect, or you better get used to 4 more years of Scott Walker.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:53 pm

I gotta admit you're right on that point. This is no longer a situation where normal political considerations and discussion count for much.

At the same time, if Dane County is political poison why is a woman from Dane County the Democrats' pre-appointed best choice?

And why is another woman from Dane County our senior senator?

This is a weird time in a weird state and I can already tell it's going to Bea weird election.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I didn't vote for Burke when she ran for school board against Flores because of her stance on vouchers, but she's a hell of a lot better than Walker, obviously, and I think she has a good shot of dethroning him, so I'll be getting behind her.

So what happened to Meade and Cornbread? I'd expect them to be all over this topic.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:
At the same time, if Dane County is political poison why is a woman from Dane County the Democrats' pre-appointed best choice?

And why is another woman from Dane County our senior senator?

Yes, ideally Ms. Burke should be from a rural county at least 150 miles from here.

As for Tammy, I guess it just goes to show that Wisconsin really is a competitive "purple" state. If this keeps up, I expect the GOP to try to gerrymander Wisconsin's boundaries to increase the number of GOP voters.

Why not? They've rigged things just about every other imaginable way.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 am

snoqueen wrote:And why is another woman from Dane County our senior senator?

Ron Johnson is the senior Senator from Wisconsin.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
snoqueen wrote:And why is another woman from Dane County our senior senator?

Ron Johnson is the senior Senator from Wisconsin.
You mean senile, right?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:15 am

You're right, I forgot our dear Mr. Plastic. He's very forgettable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Was this her first public interview since announcing?

The Progressive put an interview on their site about two weeks ago: http://progressive.org/exclusive-interview-with-walker-challenger-mary-burke

I think the Journal Sentinel had a similar interview (though somewhat shorter and taking a more neutral stance, as far as I could tell from the reaction) out about the same time. I think that might have been first.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:

The Progressive put an interview on their site about two weeks ago: http://progressive.org/exclusive-interview-with-walker-challenger-mary-burke

I think the Journal Sentinel had a similar interview (though somewhat shorter and taking a more neutral stance, as far as I could tell from the reaction) out about the same time. I think that might have been first.

Found it, thanks.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:

is the referred-to nervousness of organised labour readily surmountable?

and why should there not be a primary? not a very healthy thing for the party if there is not one.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government