MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP Lou Reed

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

RIP Lou Reed

Postby Galoot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Dead at 71, cause unknown so far. His facebook page just has a picture of "The Door".

https://www.facebook.com/LouReed
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP Lou Reed

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:04 pm

NYT said it was end stage liver disease. He got a liver transplant recently, and it didn't work out. His doctor said they did all they could, and when it became obvious there was nothing left to do Lou asked to go home. He died peacefully in his sleep.

RIP Lou.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Only a few thousand people bought the first Velvet Underground album, but every one of them formed a band

I am grateful for his music and amazed that he went through so much hardship, created so much innovation, and lasted so long.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

1970, somewhere in New York state when I was hitching from New England to Wisconsin. A guy picked me up, got me completely wasted and let me crash on his porch somewhere in the boondocks. I fell asleep listening to his stereo cranked to 11 and just as I was drifting off, that was when I heard Lou's "Heroin" for the first time. I fell asleep thinking "What the fuck?"

Went looking for it as soon as I got back and found a job.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm waiting for my man / twenty-six dollars, in my hand
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Damn. That was you?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 pm

When I was a teenager there seemed to be a rash of Velvet Underground covers floating around and I finally picked up a cassette and immediately fell in love with the minimalist noise that defined Lou Reed. To this day I've always thought of Sonic Youth as essentially being a Velvet Underground and Nico cover band.

I'm not sure that we'll ever "miss" Lou Reed because I'm not sure that he'll ever actually leave us.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I always liked "Take a Walk on the Wild Side." I knew lots of people who were gender-benders in one way or another, and I was happy the song acknowledged them in all their weirdness and courage -- with a jaunty attitude not a ponderous one.

And it was sing-along-able, to boot.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Unfortunately, "Walk on the Wild Side" defines Lou Reed for many casual music listeners, but his catalog ranged from minimalist punk rock, before there was such a thing, to songs with an impressive pop sensibility. He seemed to delight in shocking his audience, wallow in the political and the politically incorrect simultaneously and always focused on expression rather than production. He was more about bucking the trends and paving his own way than selling records and I think that's why musicians tend to adore Reed and DJ's consider him something of a footnote.

Drugs, drugs, drugs: Waiting for the Man

The quiet ballad: Pale Blue Eyes

The social commentary: Dirty Boulevard

Hey, I can write pop songs too!: Rock and Roll

And I don't mind being a little controversial. Or a lot: I Wanna Be Black
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:28 am

pjbogart wrote:that's why musicians tend to adore Reed and DJ's consider him something of a footnote.

I think the truth is somewhere between. I think the influence he (or VU) had was a deep one, but maybe not *quite* as broad as critics would have you believe. (Noted doofus Robert Christgau even gave Metal Machine Music a C+)

Similar to Dylan, Tom Waits, or Neal Young - creative songwriting, but singing that is not technically proficient, and will therefore turn some people off. Of course, the fact that those people are turned off will turn yet other people on.

I had always intended to listen to the album he made with Metallica. While I don't like much of what Metallica has done lately, I figure if the critics are dissing Lou Reed, that is going to end up being the stuff I like best.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 am

Similar to Dylan, Tom Waits, or Neal Young - creative songwriting, but singing that is not technically proficient,.

that it sometimes sounded more like talking than singing, correct? i think this was the whole point; same with dylan . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 am

Jim Fusilli in the Wall Street Journal is definitive on Lou Reed. (Couldn't find it on-line). Did not know that Walk on the Wild Side was a chronicle of Andy Warhol's Factory. "Little Joe (Dallesandro) never once gave it away."

"His influence is so fundamental to contemporary rock that it is impossible to measure other than to say that without Reed, it would not exist."
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:36 pm

the wide range of topics was one other very appealing thing about his music, which is something i like those who do so in just about any field of endeavour. he sang about politics, religion, philosophy, sex, drugs, rock & roll, history, music, literature, current affairs -- i wouldn't have been surprised to find a lou reed song about keeping tropical fish in there somewhere.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm

I always laugh when I hear The Grateful Dead's "Franklin's Tower", knowing that Jerry Garcia was fond of admitting to ripping off "Walk on the Wild Side" for the coda. That's a great sign of respect. RIP Lou...one of the best shows I ever saw back in the mid 70s.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music