MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Synchrotron Radiation Center is closing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Synchrotron Radiation Center is closing

Postby Shorty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 pm

High tech job loss. Synchrotron Radiation Center in Stoughton is closing.

http://www.wkow.com/story/23803927/2013 ... M.facebook

"Thirty scientists will be out of work starting January 6, 2014, as the Synchrotron Radiation Center is closing. The University of Wisconsin-Madison physics lab is the first site in the world dedicated to synchrotron light, utilized by a specialized x-ray machine that allows scientists to understand how cells are organized. However, its director says the facility's 55-year history doesn't factor into government decisions.

"You want to look further down the line, and that's the thing [the government] seems to miss. They want something newer, even though our capabilities have always been expanded," Synchrotron Radiation Center (SRC) director Joseph Bisognano said."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Synchrotron Radiation Center is closing

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 pm

the referenced synchrotron radiation (hard x-rays) is used in nuclear medicine, is it not?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:17 pm

I worked out there as an electronics tech for a few weeks when I was an undergrad in the late 90's till I realized the commute was costing too much. I was sorry. The work was interesting and they were good folk to work for. My boss would tell me what the little black box was supposed to do and when they needed it, and I'd build it. As long as it was on time and working, everybody was happy.

They had a supply room that was the stuff of dreams. Aladdin's Cave for geeks. I'd wander in there for hours.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Synchrotron radiation covers a broad range of wavelengths from X-Rays down into the infrared. In addition to medical radiation treatment, it's useful in a variety of research areas where a super bright light source is needed.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe