MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sewer line warranty

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Sewer line warranty

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Got a letter from the City Engineer.

City says they can no longer repair private sewer lines but a warranty is offered through a different organization.

$6.25 / month or $70 / year.

Anyone know if the warranty is worth it?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sewer line warranty

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm

How old is the line to your house? Is it as old as the house? Was it replaced at some point? Has it been working fine, or do you have to call Roto Rooter every couple years? Do people who live around you have frequent sewer problems, which might mean a contractor did a poor job when the whole subdivision was built?

Anybody have an idea what replacement would cost? Is it a long run from your house to the sewer main, or just a few dozen feet?

Many houses go decades and decades without having to replace the sewer line. If I got such a letter from the city I think I'd decline the insurance, given that my sewer has been fine, it's only about 50 years old, it's not a long way to the street with no trees in the way, and my neighborhood does not have repeated sewer difficulties.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jackisonian » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 pm

I received one of these letters today too. What is up the water rates in the last couple of years, ours seems to be up over 50% in two years. Now this sewer insurance from some out a state sewer insurance company. I really wonder about the fine print of a sewer insurance policy.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Cheaper than a colonoscopy.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 pm

The insurance only covers the portion of your sewer line from your property line to where it ties into the city sewer. You're out of pocket for the part from your property line back to your house even with the insurance.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Here's an article about the same company offering the warranty in Kansas City.

What Schulte’s letter doesn’t say is that the city gets a 10 percent royalty on all sales.

In fact, the city’s take in the deal could top $400,000 if 20 percent of residents purchase the plan. City officials say the money will go to assist residents who can’t afford to keep their water on –– an expense the city covers now on its own.

I wonder if the City of Madison has a similar arrangement.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby farlyjameson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 am

Talk about nickel & diming residents to death. I already pay for this, it's called the SEWER BILL!!! Or my city taxes or my homeowner's insurance, take your pick. WTH?? Are you telling me all other cities charge for this, as well? And of course if people don't get outraged and just pay the money the city will continue to nickel and dime us.This kind of BS makes me want to live elsewhere.
farlyjameson

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:52 am

From the city's letter: "Wisconsin Act 32 now prevents the City from performing any construction work for which a private person is financially responsible."

The notification letter was sent only to Ms Vilas, even though we own our home jointly. Maybe they thought that men might just disregard it while women would be more likely to buy the insurance. We had our sewer line cleared of tree roots only a few months ago (cost about three hundred bucks). In the 30 years of home ownership, we need to do that every fifteen years or so. I'll pass on the insurance, as it is likely to cost more in the long run than paying for the maintenance ourselves.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am

So this is another gift from the governor who keeps giving?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am

Henry Vilas wrote:From the city's letter: "Wisconsin Act 32 now prevents the City from performing any construction work for which a private person is financially responsible."

So anyone know what that means in regards to sidewalks? Does that mean we all hire our own contractors?

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
The notification letter was sent only to Ms Vilas, even though we own our home jointly.

yeah, same situation at our house.

As far as this "insurance": WTF, City of Madison. Were you going to, you know, maybe announce sending something like this out, so people can determine how much of a scam it is? When we were looking at it last night it looked like a 100 percent scam.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Can we buy a non-plowing warranty?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:43 pm

This is one of Walker's tools from the 2011 budget bill. I have yet to determine exactly what problem this newly-created statute section is solving. Oh, no, wait, the problem is local control. Big Government Republicans hate that stuff.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:This is one of Walker's tools from the 2011 budget bill. I have yet to determine exactly what problem this newly-created statute section is solving.

It's a reach, but by forbidding municipalities from doing this sort of work, it opens up a market for businesses to fill the role. The next step of course is to cause major infrastructure damage on private property, and viola, 250,000 jobs.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:This is one of Walker's tools from the 2011 budget bill. I have yet to determine exactly what problem this newly-created statute section is solving.

It's a reach, but by forbidding municipalities from doing this sort of work, it opens up a market for businesses to fill the role. The next step of course is to cause major infrastructure damage on private property, and viola, 250,000 jobs.

Shoulda believed him from the very beginning.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe