MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of the Willy St. Co-op READER

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Best of the Willy St. Co-op READER

Postby bdog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Q: Greetings, I am wondering if you all have considered sourcing a different type of take-away container for the deli/buffet. I am sitting here finishing my container of quinoa salad, and all the little knobby/extruded parts of the container make it nearly impossible to scoop the last spoonful of quinoa out of the container. This is the same problem when I get any kind of salad or dish that has lots of little bits that get stuck in the crevices.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best of the Willy St. Co-op READER

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 pm

The "letters" section of the Reader is a never-ending source of amusement for me, I have to admit. That and the unacknowledged disputes between the columnists. I remember reading one issue in which one column lauded minimal cleaning of mushrooms because "all the nutrition is just under the skin," while across the page another column advocated completely stripping the skin from mushrooms because "all the heavy metals and other toxins are just under the skin."

That and the angry vegan suggesting the Co-op stake a cow next to the front door so patrons could just take a bite when they walked by remain highlights of life in Madison to me....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Q: I have noticed that palm oil is used in several items marked “vegan” at Willy St. Co-op. Due to the destruction of rain forests, which are the homes of orangutans, the use of palm oil is not considered vegan. Please check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sjoxX_o ... e=youtu.be. Also, this Australian Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/palmoilproductsinAustralia.

I request that the locally made products and other products sold in the Willy St. Co-ops will remove Palm Oil from the ingredients in food products, and especially foods/products sold as vegan. Thank you.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I always learn something about my fellow shoppers when I read the letters.

For example: some Owners are really hung up on getting that 10 cent 'bag credit' .
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:10 am

Q: Sometimes for my lunch break I like to stop at the Co-op for a falafel sandwich. Sometimes the falafel is heated, sometimes not. Cold (refridged) falafel are not super palatable. Can you come up with a consistent formula? If necessary, I can ask for falafel to be heated, but since my sandwich costs about $7.50, I would really like to enjoy it, rather than have to choke it down. Thanks!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 am

I always feel the diversity while shopping at the corp-op. There is nothing like being a minority in the real sense of the term.
baked goods

Postby bdog » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Q: Attention Deli and OSK Managers: I came to buy something for dinner at the deli. I am allergic to cayenne and don’t tolerate spicy or GLUTEN. There were six salads on the cold bar today marked spicy or very spicy. All in all I find the deli food substandard. This is a big drag for me and for other Owners. Why don’t you get someone who can actually cook to make the recipes? Why not go to Whole Foods and knock off their recipes? Everything I get there is delicious. I have rarely had anything good here. The gumbo on the hot bar looked bad. The hot dish had wheat. I ended up buying avocadoes and potato salad. We would REALLY REALLY appreciate you getting the food better in the deli. Not so spicy. More gluten free main dishes. Please, please get someone who can cook to make the food. Sincerely, a hungry owner.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm too lazy to type the whole letter from the latest issue, but in summary

"I'm a new mother and I can't figure out how to go grocery shopping. What should I do?"

That poor kid.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 pm

I can't figure out if they publish those things because they're actually trying to dispense helpful information, or because they want to get sympathy by saying "look at all these insane letters we get."

I kinda go with the latter. Reading them is like the grocery version of Savage Love, only the coop's answer people are not as entertaining as Dan Savage.

Well, no one is.

But they need to step up their game. A lot of the questions are from people who take themselves way too seriously, and it doesn't help when the Coop's counseling department takes them too seriously too.

And am I the only person in the world who is really tired of hearing about gluten?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 am

snoqueen wrote:And am I the only person in the world who is really tired of hearing about gluten?
No kidding. And it's getting near impossible to find high-gluten orange juice these days.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 am

Q: It has come to my attention that there is a SERIOUS delay in the delivery of my Willy Street Reader.

As a long-time coop member, I look forward to and have come to rely on receiving monthly updates, news, and recipes from the coop. You can imagine how shocked I was to learn that there is a serious discrepancy between the delivery times for Madison residents and those of us who now reside outside of the Madison area. I moved to Tallahassee in 2003, and although my Reader continues to arrive monthly, I was dismayed to learn from a dear friend in Madison that his Reader often arrives a week or more before mine does!! Not only does this make us Madison ex-pats feel like second-class coop citizens, but it means that when touching base with old friends I’m not up to date on the most recent news. Can you please ensure that the Reader arrives in a more timely manner? If the Republican Sequester is impacting the US Postal Service so that they can’t ensure prompt delivery, maybe the coop should explore the use of an alternative carrier!!!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:57 am

fennel wrote:
snoqueen wrote:And am I the only person in the world who is really tired of hearing about gluten?
No kidding. And it's getting near impossible to find high-gluten orange juice these days.

I also find it a little annoying and I have a gluten intolerant spouse. It's nice that there are many more gluten free choices than just a few years ago. This is offset by the trendies who have gone gluten free because it's cool, buying up the supply before we can get there.

I don't like some of the ingredients in gluten free bisquick but I have to admit it makes pretty good biscuits.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:42 pm

If the Republican Sequester is impacting the US Postal Service so that they can’t ensure prompt delivery, maybe the coop should explore the use of an alternative carrier!!!

I hear the Tristero has surprisingly competitive rates.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:13 pm

bdog wrote:
Q: It has come to my attention that there is a SERIOUS delay in the delivery of my Willy Street Reader.

When this one came out, I realized that WSR was just going the way of Penthouse Forum. This is just the staff playing "can you top this". Like, no way this can be a real person. You live in Florida, and you're worried you'll miss out on the Kombucha class?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm

DCB wrote:
bdog wrote:

When this one came out, I realized that WSR was just going the way of Penthouse Forum. This is just the staff playing "can you top this". Like, no way this can be a real person. You live in Florida, and you're worried you'll miss out on the Kombucha class?

Sheppy is now trolling the WSR.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe