MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby manoletters » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am

Scotty Walker's such a jerk - I'll even vote for Mary Burke!
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I didn't see the Rachel Maddow last night, but Burke had her first national interview on the show. The Cap Times reports.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I didn't see the Rachel Maddow last night, but Burke had her first national interview on the show. The Cap Times reports.

it was a good interview; i think it went well. the debates for the general election theoretically should be interesting -- it could be anywhere from a somewhat clear victory to her mopping the floor with walker, as they say.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm curious if that means only 20 people lost their jobs to outsourcing. I read the ruling and it was a bunch of mumble jumble to me. I do think this could be an issue, but more so in the primary than the general election.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Before he was first elected as governor, how many private sector jobs did Walker create? And how many jobs left Wisconsin since that time?

Just curious.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Before he was first elected as governor, how many private sector jobs did Walker create? And how many jobs left Wisconsin since that time?

Just curious.

Good question. As a former political science teacher, how important to changing people's opinion of Walker will that be?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Frankly, I think more effort should focus on the Lieutenant Governor position than this one. If Walker does get re-elected, chances are good he'll either bail to chase the Presidency, or the second John Doe proceedings will convince him to spend more time with his family. If that happens, and Kleefisch is still in the second seat....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Before he was first elected as governor, how many private sector jobs did Walker create? And how many jobs left Wisconsin since that time?

Just curious.

Good question. As a former political science teacher, how important to changing people's opinion of Walker will that be?

It all depends on how much money is spent countering United Citizens TV advertising that trashes Burke.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm

I would hope not. There's nothing wrong with what Trek did. (Will he though? Probably. That stuff plays well in campaigns. See: Romney, Mitt.)

If it hurts Burke at all though, isn't it a better bet that it's from the left in a Dem primary?

Detritus wrote:Frankly, I think more effort should focus on the Lieutenant Governor position than this one. If Walker does get re-elected, chances are good he'll either bail to chase the Presidency, or the second John Doe proceedings will convince him to spend more time with his family. If that happens, and Kleefisch is still in the second seat....

Well, okay, but WI is a ticket state, as opposed to electing them separately like somewhere like VA or TX. So Walker winning = Kleefisch winning.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am

Walker won't quit to run for President, unless he thinks staying in office would force him to do something that would not be popular with the GOP base.

Interesting comments from Walker on where the next president should be drawn from

“I think it’s got to be an outsider. I think both the presidential and the vice presidential nominee should either be a former or current governor, people who have done successful things in their states, who have taken on big reforms, who are ready to move America forward,” Walker responded when asked by Karl to describe the “ideal Republican presidential candidate in 2016.”

italics mine.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am

Just curious.

Before he was first elected as governor, how many private sector jobs did Walker have?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54 am

wack wack wrote:

Just curious.

Before he was first elected as governor, how many private sector jobs did Walker have?

Worked part time for IBM in while in school, which somehow led to a full time marketing and fundraising gig at the Red Cross from 1990 until he was elected to the Assembly.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm

It's unreal how many Wisconsin reporters either misunderstand the debt figures, or are just openly lying... Here's another in today's Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel in regards to Mary Burke's claims...

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... llion-sur/

Dave Umhoefer's Politifact article only seems interesting if you ignore Wisconsin's actual long term debt figures, and ignore that Walker borrowed hundreds of millions, threw it in the bank, and deferred state obligations beyond the fiscal year, and basically played a shell game to create a "surplus" that in reality, never existed.

Umhoefer implies that cash accounting is a solid figure even though any accountant can tell you it's not. He also asserts that the manipulated "structural deficit" is a solid figure, even though using his own "Gold Standard" source, the LFB, you can prove that was manipulated too. The LFB records also show that the trade off for the manipulated cash accounting, and structural deficit figures Walker's using, is a greatly increased debt, thus proving Burkes point, which Umhoefer casts doubt on as his central theme.

The opening paragraph is also weird considering the actual facts
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:41 am

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government