MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Postby wack wack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:48 am

Looks like libs say yes, cons say no.

Surprise, surprise.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 am

wack wack wrote:Looks like libs say yes, cons say no.

Surprise, surprise.

Could you define "fixed" please?

From what I understand it means whatever Obie wants it to mean rather than some objective value of how the system is working.

How many more people do you expect to have health care on January 1 than had it in December 31?

Are you expecting a positive or a negative value there?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 am

Someone probably just needs to restart IIS on one of their web servers...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 am

johnfajardohenry wrote: How many more people do you expect to have health care on January 1 than had it in December 31?

You have to look at the end of the enrollment period, March 31.
Expect about 10M more with some form of coverage.

And if you are calculating honestly: how many millions lost medicaid eligibility due to sabotage in red states?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 am

People I have talked to in Wisconsin say they had no trouble signing up on healthcare.gov last week. Whether it is fixed for huge amounts of traffic, I don't know. I suspect it is like almost every other IT roll out---somewhere between SNAFU and FUBAR, until the 0s and 1s decide to behave.

I've never been a part of anything dealing with IT working right 100 percent of the time. My place of business has IT crashes affecting phones, internet and/or email about every other week. My wife works for a large insurance company, and their technology crashes routinely. Obamacare's IT problems are, after all, an indication that government is working like business. Conservatives should be applauding that.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:56 am

The discussion about software glitches reminded me of this. Seems like we can have it work or we can have it now but not both.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating, "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they painted new lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT," but then you would have to buy more seats.
6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but it would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "general protect ion fault" warning light.

8. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?" before deploying.

9. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the antenna.

10. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

11. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

12. You'd have to press the "start" button to turn the engine off.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:How many more people do you expect to have health care on January 1 than had it in December 31?

Are you expecting a positive or a negative value there?

John Henry

Many, many more.

Expecting? I know that the ACA website continues to improve and the ACA itself continues to satisfy more and more people every day.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

OK, being a bad, inconsiderate person who is not really applying for anything, I went to healthcare.gov to see what's going on.

First, they tell you the site will be down from 1-5 am EST each day. I suppose it's best to warn people ahead of time.

Next, they are trying to get people to register in other ways. You can pick the phone icon, the screen icon, the paper and pencil icon, or three little heads. I didn't try to find out what the heads meant. But diverting people from the site doesn't exactly give a sense of confidence.

Next, I pretended I wanted to know if I qualified for a subsidy. (Those were the only two pages I looked at, because I was trying not to misuse limited resources.) The first thing the qualification page suggests is for people to go to the calculator on the Kaiser Family page, a private resource. Another diversion.

I see the strategy and I can't say it's such a bad idea, but the overall impression is not one of optimism.

Maybe we should all just move to, of all places, Kentucky.

The ACA ought to work in the long run -- Massachusetts was the testing ground and they're doing well. But the web site itself is still not looking so hot to me, or maybe I should say the confidence of the developers that it will perform well under load appears tepid at best.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:51 pm

bdog wrote:The discussion about software glitches reminded me of this. Seems like we can have it work or we can have it now but not both.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared...

False. I don't know if you knew this was internet bs or not, but you didn't say either way, so I am just making sure others are aware.

On topic, my wife and I used the website without problem about a week ago. We got to the comparing policies stage, and stopped to do more research and rumination before we committed to one.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:02 pm

acereraser wrote:False. I don't know if you knew this was internet bs or not, but you didn't say either way, so I am just making sure others are aware.

On topic, my wife and I used the website without problem about a week ago. We got to the comparing policies stage, and stopped to do more research and rumination before we committed to one.

Use the website at your own risk.

The four website professionals who testified before congress just a couple days ago all said that whether the website is working or not by Dec 1st, it is definitely not secured. Anyone who uses it puts their personal information at risk.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Sandi wrote:The four website professionals who testified before congress just a couple days ago all said that whether the website is working or not by Dec 1st, it is definitely not secured. Anyone who uses it puts their personal information at risk.

Citation please. I couldn't find record of such testimony, but maybe it was just bad luck. At any rate, are all the people who file their taxes electronically at a different risk level? Answers not wholly based on anti-Obama bias appreciated.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I watched and heard the testimony before congress on TV. If I can find a link to it I will post it for you.

acereraser wrote:At any rate, are all the people who file their taxes electronically at a different risk level?

Probably somewhat, but it depends a lot on the security build into the website. The ACA federal site lacks nearly all security as it wasn't finished at the unrolling, and per the testimony before congress they would not have to to finish it before the Dec 1st deadline.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

acereraser wrote:
bdog wrote:The discussion about software glitches reminded me of this. Seems like we can have it work or we can have it now but not both.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared...

False. I don't know if you knew this was internet bs or not, but you didn't say either way, so I am just making sure others are aware.

False? It's a joke. Are you the sort of person who, if I started with "Two peanuts were walking down the street..." would jump in and yell "WRONG! PEANUTS CAN'T WALK!"

The joke has been carefully crowdsourced over the years (a folklorist would describe the process by which the joke grew as "secondary orality"), as Snopes accurately describes. I remember one-phrase versions of this circulating Usenet and the dialup BBSs in the 1980s, something along the lines of "what if going to the store was like using an operating system?" (Macintosh answer: you click on the icon of a store and the car drives you to church; Windows answer: you pull down the Destination menu and select Store; the car blows up) and "what would flying be like if airplanes were put together like software?" (Unix answer: everyone who wants to go to the same place meets on the runway to assemble the airplane before departure).

Hmm, I don't remember them all that well. I'm sure they're out there in the Intertubes.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I still can't find the actual testimony before congress, but here is security expert David Kennedy, CEO of the security consultancy TrustedSec, who did testified before congress.

Security expert David Kennedy has warned that the Obamacare website Healthcare.gov was not designed with security in mind, and that it could take as long as a year to address the “critical and high exposures on the website.”

Kennedy, CEO of the security consultancy TrustedSec, testified before congress last week about the security lapses he found after conducting a fairly routine, low-intensity penetration test of the government run website, saying that the developers took little to no care in producing a secure portal.

“When you develop a website, you develop it with security in mind. And it doesn’t appear to have happened this time,” said Kennedy. “It’s really hard to go back and fix the security around it because security wasn’t built into it.”

Video here from CNBC.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Lamar Smith (R-Texas) calls for the take down of the site until some measures of security are installed.

Science, Space, and Technology Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) today called on President Obama to immediately take down Healthcare.gov in order to ensure the safety and security of the personal data of Americans who have used the Obamacare website. Chairman Smith made the statement following testimony from online security experts at a hearing today before the Science Committee examining flaws and vulnerabilities in the website that put the personal data of Americans at risk. All but one witness at today's hearing said that they would immediately pull down the site in order to address the security flaws.

Witnesses today outlined the significant threat posed by identity theft to Americans if hackers gained such information. David Kennedy, a "white hat hacker" who testified today, gave a demonstration of the website's vulnerabilities showing in real-time that hackers are attempting to access personal information on the website. Not only is the website vulnerable, but it's under attack. When asked whether he believed the website had already been compromised by hackers, Mr. Kennedy testified that he believed the website has either already been hacked or soon will be.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government