MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damage

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damage

Postby Shorty » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 pm

I recently got this newsletter from my eye doctor's office. It talks about the dangers of blue light from fluorescent lights, computer screens, tablets, smart phones, and so on. Makes we want to avoid all of those as much as I can.

Here is a link: http://www.macular.org/bluelite.html

and the newseltter: http://www.eyecontactmadison.com/newsletter

"BLUE LIGHT HAZARDS
Blue light is everywhere. It exists in the very fiber of our culture. How can you protect yourself? We learn at a young age about the visible light spectrum, you know, the rainbow? Well, each color, or wavelength, of the light spectrum has a unique effect on us, beyond the color you painted your bedroom in high school. Researchers have shown that light influences our hormone secretion, heart rate, alertness, obesity, sleep propensity, body temperature, disease and gene expression. That pretty much covers everything a person ought to be concerned about health wise. Clearly light, and most specifically blue wavelengths of light, impact our quality of life in so many ways.

Circadian Rhythms
Circadian rhythm is a natural biological process that for most humans repeats every 24 hours, give or take an hour. It’s regulated by communication between the hypothalamus (a part of your brain) and the optic nerve. Before the industrial revolution, the human circadian rhythm was dependent on the sun, the moon and the four seasons. We maximized our sun exposure when we rose early, worked outside and went to bed when it became dark. The invention of fluorescent lighting, TV, desk and laptop computers, iPads, handheld phones, and video games have recently and dramatically changed this pattern. We are increasingly exposed to blue light in a way that has had a significant effect on our natural rhythms. Blue light is now ingrained in our society during all hours of the day. Research by NASA has shown that the presence of blue light in the “dark” portion of the human circadian rhythm is disruptive to the human sleep cycle. Blue light has also been shown to drastically reduce the production of Melatonin, the brains natural sleep-aid. NASA researchers have created a simulated sleep/wake schedule for their astronauts by altering the wavelengths of light in the shuttle in accordance with natural circadian rhythm. This promotes sleep, thereby wellness for their orbiting astronauts. Numerous studies show increasing correlation between sleep disruption and disease. According to Harvard sleep researcher Stephen Lockley “Light at night is part of the reason so many people don't get enough sleep, and researchers have linked short sleep to increased risk for depression, as well as diabetes and cardiovascular problems.” Another recent Harvard study suggests a strong correlation between blue light, obesity and type 2 diabetes. The study, which put a panel of people on a shifting circadian rhythm cycle by altering their exposure to blue light wavelengths, showed a spike in blood sugar levels and an increase in the hormone leptin (a hormone that regulates hunger and satiety) after exposure to blue light during “dark” hours. Coincidence? We think not.

Ocular Hazards
Our eyes are our light filters. The very images we see are light reflections. It is widely understood that certain light wavelengths can cause harm to our skin and eyes when left unprotected. Hence sunscreen and UV protected sunglasses. What about the blue light that is emitted from your iMac or Android phone? Or the fluorescent lighting in your office or home? How do you protect your self from that? Countless studies are legitimizing the correlation between overexposure to blue light and retinal damage. One of the leading modifiable environmental risk factors associated with Age-related Macular Degeneration is prolonged, unprotected exposure to blue light. In fact, there is mounting medical evidence that prolonged exposure to blue light may permanently damage the eyes, contribute to cataracts and to the destruction of the macula. In an era dominated by office environments and gadgets emitting blue light, what can be done to protect and preserve your health and vision from its hazardous effects?

A simple change for your health
I am not going to sit on a soap box and talk about how we all should limit our gaming, TV or internet addictions as I am aware it would be like trying to scream underwater. These things have quickly, for better AND for worse, become the fabric of our culture. I am certainly not going to give up my iPhone or computer anytime soon, and I know no one else on the planet will either. Lens manufacturers are now focusing on making blue blocking lenses. These lenses can be made with your prescription and will help to protect your eyes from the harmful effects of your blue light gadgetry. The lenses have a yellow tint which could take some getting used to, but the benefits do outweigh the interesting fashion statement. Aside from blue-blocking lenses, here are some small steps that can be taken to help reduce your exposure to blue light and protect your eyes. Supplementing Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Meso-Zeaxanthin, the light filtering carotenoids present in the macula will increase the density of your macular pigment thereby increasing protection from the inside of the eye. Keep low ambient, non fluorescent lighting in your bedroom. It is important to maintain the integrity of your circadian rhythm. Maybe even spend at least an hour before bed without looking at your phone, computer screen, etc. Okay, I know that last one may be a stretch but, think of it as my personal challenge to you. Who knows? It may be the ticket to a healthier happier, more well rested you!"
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damag

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm

This will be smacked down faster than you can send a tweet. You just can't mess with people's love affair with technology. You could have indisputable evidence that smart phones make you incontinent and everyone would just shrug and slip into a diaper.

It's like questioning the legitimacy of chronic fatigue syndrome and being inundated by angry mobs of tired people..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

It wasn't smacked down, but nobody else replied at all. I read about again today in this newsletter from my vision insurance company.

http://vspblog.com/blue-light-warning/
"Have you ever heard of blue light? Maybe not, but you’re mostly likely being exposed to it right now by looking at a screen on your computer, tablet or smartphone. Yes, the digital devices we have become so dependent on may actually be harming our eyes. That’s because the screens on these digital devices, along with fluorescent lights and even the sun, are actually emitting a harmful wavelength of light.

Effects of Blue Light This so called blue light is harmful because it can penetrate all the way to the back of your eyes, which is unlike most wavelengths of light. That doesn’t mean your eyes only see things in blue, but it does mean that over time you may have a greater risk for eye diseases like macular degeneration.

How to Protect Your Eyes from Damage Caused by Digital Devices
Everyone encounters blue light, but you can protect yourself by exercising and eating healthy fruits and vegetables. In addition, wear UNITY BluTech lenses when using digital devices to block harmful blue light."

I did a search and found some more links warning about blue light:
http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvision ... posure.htm
http://www.cclvi.org/contributions/effects1.htm
http://www.elvex.com/facts11.htm
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm sure your insurance company isn't shilling for UNITY Blu Tech lenses.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:04 pm

VSP insurance company may be shilling for UNITY Blu Tech lenses. But did you notice the five other websites (one is now deleted) I gave that don't sell UNITY Blu Tech lenses? They all say blue light from fluorescent lights and computer screens probably causes eye damage.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I think all of these newsletters could have been sent on paper, through the mail, if those groups were so concerned about electronic blue light. Putting their money where your macula are, maybe?

Just thinking about reducing my blue-light exposure makes me so depressed.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Really, what is the internet not destroying?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I honestly have no idea if this danger is real or not but either way, I'd categorize it under the heading "With All The Problems In The World, This Is What You're Worried About?"

Not to be dismissive of eye troubles, mind you, but honestly, all these problems sound like the sorts of things that afflict people as they get older anyway. I mean, as long as human beings insist on living longer than evolution intended, shit's gonna break down no matter what we do.

minicat wrote:Really, what is the internet not destroying?
Kitty cats!!!1!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I honestly have no idea if this danger is real or not but either way, I'd categorize it under the heading "With All The Problems In The World, This Is What You're Worried About?"

Well it's true! I've been working with computers all day for almost twenty years, and in factories and workshops lit with fluorescent lights for over thirty years before that, and BAM! I needed reading glasses before I was 60.

And I can't see things that are right in front of my face! My wife is always pointing that out.

First world problems of the highest order.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Shortly, how bout that link to Elvex which also sells lenses. Of course they're gonna trump up the claims.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 am

Where is a link to Elvex? I admit the articles don't say how much blue light increases the risk of eye diseases. By just 1%, twice as much, ten times as much? That would determine how big a problem this is. It's probably hard to say.

In general, my eyes get fatigued from PC use, and fluorescent light seems to bother them also, so I would like to avoid those blue light sources as much as I can anyway.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:06 am

Shorty wrote:Where is a link to Elvex?

Shorty wrote:I did a search and found some more links warning about blue light:
http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvision ... posure.htm
http://www.cclvi.org/contributions/effects1.htm
http://www.elvex.com/facts11.htm

See that link at the bottom of your post. That company sells eye protection and you linked to their "facts" page. By the way, the sun produces a lot of blue light to. Don't go outside.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Oh c'mon Stebben! Shorty can go outside. Just needs to close his eyes real tight.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Stebben84 wrote:See that link at the bottom of your post. That company sells eye protection and you linked to their "facts" page. By the way, the sun produces a lot of blue light to. Don't go outside.

Elvex sells lenses but i don't see anything for blue light protection in their products. Yes the sun produces blue light, and UV light. As this site (http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvision ... posure.htm) says:

-Limit extended sun exposure whenever possible.
-Wear wide-brimmed hats while in the sun.
-Consider a melanin pigmented polarized lens. Although it may cause changes in color perception, it cuts down outdoor blue light exposure.

So we should do what we can to limit the Sun's blue and UV light. But snide remarks you make like saying "don't go outside" are useless and pointless. Why do you bother making those comments? Just enjoy being a jerk?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 pm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games