MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 pm

http://reagan.procon.org/view.resource. ... eID=004090

rounded...
National Debt 1981= $995 billion
National debt 1989= $2.9 trillion
National debt 1993= $4.4 trillion
National debt 2001= $5.8 trillion
National debt 2009= $12.9 trillion

among others...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby juanton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 pm

"ProCon.org is a nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity"


Ha ha ha ha. Man, that's rich.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

According to the numbers, the national debt tripled under Reagan, went up about 80 percent under GHW Bush, increased 25 percent or so under Clinton, and more than doubled under GW Bush. The lesson: Republican administrations lead to vastly increased debt, and they only care about debt levels when a Democrat is in the White House. If you really care about fiscal integrity, don't put conservatives in the government.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Congress had a little something to do with it as well.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Congress had a little something to do with it as well.
According to a Harvard professor who did an analysis, Congress spent 0.6% more than what reagan requested, as an average over his 8 years as quoted by Al Franken in "Lies: and the lying liars who tell them."

And Congress spent $30 billion more than what Clinton requested over his last 3 years according to CATO.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commen ... -pussycats

Over the past three years the Republican-controlled Congress has approved discretionary spending that exceeded Bill Clinton’s requests by more than $30 billion. The party that in 1994 would abolish the Department of Education now brags in response to Clinton’s 2000 State of the Union Address that it is outspending the White House when it comes to education. My colleagues Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski found that the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%.
So that whole "Gingrich held Clinton's feet to the fire" is a bunch of nonsense too...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:50 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:http://reagan.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004090

rounded...
National Debt 1981= $995 billion
National debt 1989= $2.9 trillion
National debt 1993= $4.4 trillion
National debt 2001= $5.8 trillion
National debt 2009= $12.9 trillion

among others...


the site doesn't explicitly say, but I get the impression that these are current, not constant dollars.

A lot of this is inflation. Back out inflation and how do the numbers look?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby O.J. » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:56 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:http://reagan.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004090

rounded...
National Debt 1981= $995 billion
National debt 1989= $2.9 trillion
National debt 1993= $4.4 trillion
National debt 2001= $5.8 trillion
National debt 2009= $12.9 trillion

among others...


the site doesn't explicitly say, but I get the impression that these are current, not constant dollars.

A lot of this is inflation. Back out inflation and how do the numbers look?

John Henry


Speaking of debt, in light of this news, combined with your ongoing disregard for science, you shall now be referred to as Junk Henry.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am

O.J. wrote:Speaking of debt, in light of this news, combined with your ongoing disregard for science, you shall now be referred to as Junk Henry.


Fine by me. I welcome the downgrade. It has been far too long in coming.

Perhaps it will encourage our government to get off its collective ass and free up the economy so we do not need to borrow so much.

OTOH, you may want to watch out. We have a lot of people emigrating. Madison may be overrun with Puerto Ricans. The horror, the horror!

"Junk" Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby O.J. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:OTOH, you may want to watch out. We have a lot of people emigrating. Madison may be overrun with Puerto Ricans. The horror, the horror!


So long as they leave you behind in Fajardo, Junk Henry, that's fine by me.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:12 pm

He's not in Puerto Rico at all. His forum output is inversely proportional to the outdoor temperature in Wisconsin.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 am

O.J. wrote:
So long as they leave you behind in Fajardo, Junk Henry, that's fine by me.


Then you might want to shelter in the cellar during the first week in March. I'll be spreading cooties all over Wisconsin, from Madison to Menomenee and points north.

John "Don't funk my junk" Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:17 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Congress had a little something to do with it as well.
According to a Harvard professor who did an analysis, Congress spent 0.6% more than what reagan requested, as an average over his 8 years as quoted by Al Franken in "Lies: and the lying liars who tell them."

And Congress spent $30 billion more than what Clinton requested over his last 3 years according to CATO.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commen ... -pussycats

Over the past three years the Republican-controlled Congress has approved discretionary spending that exceeded Bill Clinton’s requests by more than $30 billion. The party that in 1994 would abolish the Department of Education now brags in response to Clinton’s 2000 State of the Union Address that it is outspending the White House when it comes to education. My colleagues Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski found that the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%.
So that whole "Gingrich held Clinton's feet to the fire" is a bunch of nonsense too...


Not sure if you're trying to argue with what I said? My point is that Congress is complicit in spending. The president (any president) doesn't act in a vacuum.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Bunch of Fed Stats: 1981 thru 2009

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Not sure if you're trying to argue with what I said? My point is that Congress is complicit in spending. The president (any president) doesn't act in a vacuum.
... just qualifying it a bit with a few interesting stats...

Cons often claim that Democrats in Congress ran up the debt under Reagan, but they only spent a bit more than what he requested. Reagan also had a Republican majority in the Senate for 6 years...

Likewise, they often claim Newt Gingrich and his "Contract on America" created the surplus in the 90s when in fact he spent more than Clinton requested, and also increased spending on the programs he promised to cut.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar